Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

How to Cast Models.

Started by Lord Borak, January 19, 2016, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Well currently the head is being moulded, and the silicone should be cured by tonight - I dont have any of the other parts -what was in it? (arms/magus stafff?) but would love to cast some up!

seaglen

So the first attempt didn't go as planned - it seems the silicone wasn't quite cured in the centre :(

Oh well - live and learn!
I'll mix some more tomorrow and try to make a better mould...

seaglen

First ever piece cast up! - Im pretty happy with the result, and the mould is great - I can pop a new head out in the time it take me to pour a cup of tea and drink it!

Lord Borak

Alyster Wick

Looks great, I'm definitely willing to trade casted heads once I get mine work out.

Thantos

Sorry to sound like a party-pooper but just a heads up fellas.
Resins and some silicones are harmful for your health in liquid form. Polyol is ok (white part) just dont bathe in it, it's an irritant.
The icocyanate (the amber or yellow part of your resin) has evidence of being a carcinogen from contact or vapor inhalation. https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/isocyanates/
Some resins are worse than others.

Dont cast these in your spare room, do it in a workshop or garage ideally with good extraction and ventilation, wear gloves so as to not get it on your skin and use a respirator with organic vapor filtration. NOT a just a dust mask.

Same with silicones, the catalyst (coloured part) is always hazardous and warned to cause organ damage. Sometimes this has carcinogen warnings too. Does depend on brand and if its tin or platinum based silicone ive found.

I too started out making minis years ago home-casting, without the proper precautions, as is the temptation to spend the least money as possible! I now have dermatitis and anosmia and wish someone had told me this when i started.

If you are wanting to home-cast, i always advice people to not just buy the materials, but invest in the correct setup to lessen the health risks. Your health is worth more than $150 of safety equipment.
Alternatively if its a few bits you want to cast, its going to be easier cheaper and better results to send your parts off to a casting service.

EDIT: I dont mean to take a stance that treads on Borak's toes here, as those are really great sculpts mate and a good tutorial :)