Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New Arco Flagellent Project

Started by Thantos, February 11, 2016, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

EDIT: Almost there:

My new warband will be a tecpriest with a handful of arco flagellants and servitors. Problem i have is both damien and simeion are in the same pose, which i dont like much. So its time to update the humble arco flage!

I was thinking a giant buzzsaw on one arm. Few ideas by concept artist

And then some more scribbles to pin something down by me

Will likely refine the saw arm a bit more and will lower the arm slightly for the final pose.

Feedback appreciated ;D

Lord Borak

Wow, those concepts are COOL. Why stop at just the one? Make them all! (Please!)  ;D Especially the one on the top left. He's awesome.

seaglen

Absolutely love these concepts - the final pose you have settled on is great, especially the imbalanced nature with the stump arm.

the bottom right leaping pose is full of energy.

I'd make the physical saw on the model a little smaller (not too much though) in my oppinion.

what are you going to use as a base for the model?

Raghnall

WELCOME TO THE CONCLAVE
There, thats the traditional welcome*.
Inquisitor is a game about character, and mindless creatures such as servitors and arco-flagellants don't really contribute much in that regard, so I would be careful about using too many, although i'm certainly not saying you can't have any. I rather like the buzzsaw, but would maybe suggest a pincer or some sort of flail on the other arm, as I'm personally not so keen on the stump arm. Any plans for some indication of the combat drugs been pumped into them?

*Which I never received. 'Grumble Grumble, not appreciated, Grumble Grumble'.

Alyster Wick

Nice concepts! I like them all but I'm definitely in agreement that the one you've settled on is the best. I'll echo the sentiment that the imbalanced nature of the pose is great. Plus a stump arm is easy enough to convert at the end of the day. Is it too much to hope that you'll be joining the Community Sculpting Project with this sculpt? By my count I believe the Acroflaggelant is still available...

Thantos

Thanks for the feedback and the warm (yellow!) welcome ;D

@Borak: Depends how big this warband gets. Wanted to sort a tecpriest or two first though ^-^

@Seaglen: Thanks! Im imagining him whirling around sweeping his saw in wide arcs to chop up opponents.
May tweak the saw a little yea, dont want him chopping himself up (although how did he lose his second arm? xD)
Will be a scratch sculpted piece, part traditionally sculpted freelanced out and part digital sculpted by me.

@Raghnall: Very true, there isnt much RP with that warband. Will see if i can look at including something else with more character instead of too many lobotomized characters.
Wanted to reduce his power a little by having just one arm and a massive weapon.
Yea will have the usual stimm injectors and pacifier helm

@Alyster: Yea that's what i thought too, a little more unique. Will have a look at the community sculpting project, thanks for the tip off :D

MarcoSkoll

A vast circular saw has certainly got the potential for some serious visual impact behind it.

I'd agree that slightly smaller than some of those concepts might be a good idea - my inclination would be to limit the radius to about the same as the forearm, so he could actually bend his elbow or wrist without chopping his own arm off (but that's not to say his forearm couldn't be lengthened, as it is in some of those concepts).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

does that mean you've got access to an artist?  ;D

i agree wit hthe slightly smaller sawblade and think you've picked the best pose :)

will he be a complete sculpt? we've got a community sculpting thing going ;)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Thantos

@Marco: Yea will have to look at that to make sure its going to work. Slightly lengthened forearm may indeed be the way to go, since its gotta be as big as possible ;)
@Gav: Yea the first concepts were done by Darrius who draws the eatatau webcomic, ive worked with him for years now, great guy and speedy good value concepts.
Yea going to be a complete sculpt, not sure if ill end up doing it all or another sculptor. I did start roughing out some quick designs for the saw, still needs neatening and polishing.

seaglen

absolutely brutal! - I was imagining a much more fine toothed blade, almost cutting disc style, but the imperial iconography on it looks great!

KaptiDavy

Nice plans indeed! But still I wonder... how appropriate are the inquisitorial symbols if the guy will be a techpriest's minion?
Also I got the idea of a buzzsaw catapult, UnrealTournament-style...

Cortez

That looks really good. What software did you use for the sculpting?

Thantos

@Seaglen: Thanks! Wanted a saw that reflects the character of the arco flagellant - a brutal crude instrument, all wrapped up in a nice devout holy imperial wrapping ;D
@Kapti: Yea i thought about this also. There is the imperial eagle, but changed to worship the machine (mechanicus dont really worship the emps do they? ;) ) and the =][= symbol is there since usually arco flage's are placed into service of inquisitors. It would become relevant if the model is used in another warband or shipped off to fight for some inquisitor. Will ponder that some more.
@Cortez: Sculpts are 3dsMax and Mudbox, quick render in zbrush, will prototype on the solidscape 3z Max

blacknight

Great looking concepts, loving the buzz saw.

What is the plan for the lower legs, are you going to keep them as flesh or do something a bit more mechanical, either like the new skitarii stuff or alternatively like disabled Olympic sprinters.

Incidentally how unique are you trying to keep that saw design, as there may potentially be interest for copies around the place both for ][ and 40k.  ;D

blacknight / Marc
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

Alyster Wick

The blade looks great, from what I'm seeing so far I would definitely be interested in one of these guys.