Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Could I use this?

Started by mcjomar, February 25, 2016, 01:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301748872138?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm looking at it, and part of me really wants to snag one (or two).
In part I can see it being good for either an explorator, paranoid Inquisitor, a bounty hunter, maybe a few other things too.
In part I just really like the sculpt.
No idea what character I'd actually end up making.

There's also this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291221053318?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Would probably need a headswap (Jaxon?) and gunswap (maybe gran a 54mm lasgun or shotgun).

And this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301360423597?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Again, headswap, plus weapon swap (stubber).
Not sure what female head I could get away with using.
If you haven't noticed by now though, I really like using the daemon huntress head, so that would work, if I could get one (or more) of them.

Worth it?
Or just focus on the projects in front of me (some of which will only be started during the IGT, which I'm probably going to go to).
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

In my opinion:

Phantom: Easily. This would suit an Imperial body glove, even a lightly armoured one, fairly well.

Shepard: Maybe. However, that particular conversion won't work. GW parts are generally incompatible with many third party models, as their characteristic "heroic" style makes them rather chunky. (Compare here where Slick's head is much larger than the converted Airfix paratrooper, or here, where I compare a guardsman to the Vitruvian man). If you want to swap the head (although sculpting new hair/headwear wouldn't be too hard), you'll probably want to check a site like Historex for 54mm head packs. Weapon wise... Barbaretta's shotgun might look alright, but forget any of the squarer/bulkier 54mm weapons. (Although that said, I have had success with using certain of GW's 28mm weapons, which are bulky enough to fit on realistically proportioned 54mm models. Lasguns work well if you find a way to extend their buttstocks a little).

Beyond that, if I'm honest, the armour is potentially a problem. It's one of the more distinctive elements in Mass effect, and I don't think the style is entirely "Four-Tee-Kay" enough. The WH40K visual look tends to take variously after the Renaissance era or 80s sci-fi, but much of the Mass Effect series plays more to the current "iPhone" look we currently treat as futuristic.

Liara: Probably better than Shepard. While the same warning about incompatible parts applies, and her clothing is again fairly distinctive, it can better play the "body-glove" angle. A bit of conversion and a well thought out paintjob would probably work. (I'd go with trying to make the jacket look more distinct from the underlying layers, and for the love of the Emperor, don't paint either in white with blue trim)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

For Liara I'd say to make her more imperial, a blood red with black trim might work out quite nicely.
Swap the pistol for a stubber or laspistol (or something pistolish from the 40k range I guess).
Still don't know about the head though.

For the cerberus one, I really want two - one to replace the gun with a pistol, the other to leave as is - not sure why, I just think the model doesn't really need a lot to change it for some reason. Bit hard to put my finger on as to why.

I've snagged a reaper Beladonna to take on the 54mm scale version of the 28mm necromunda bounty hunter model I use in that warband - I couldn't resist.
Again, the model is so good I really want to avoid doing anything to it, if I can avoid it.

For the acolyte, I'm still thinking of using my daemonhuntress model, but maybe just say it's powered carapace, and give her a laspistol instead (I've dug one up from somewhere). I've ordered space marine poweraxes and thunderhammers as they look to be exactly the right scale to use at inquisitor as normal hammers and axes (or maybe they have shock generators attached?).
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Alyster Wick

Everything looks/sounds suitable. As Marco showed with his first link, enough GS can make a plastic army man look like a 40K Imperial Guard. I'd also agree w/ the comparison between the 2 female minis and the 40K body-glove.

For the Shepard model I actually think he'd be fine. 40K is generally more bulky and gothic as opposed to modern and flashy, but a quick weapons swap, a bulky shoulder pad, and some random iconography should do the trick. There are plenty of iconic 40K items that could be used. I don't even know if a head swap is necessary. I'll also point out that I've gotten a miniature from North Star before and they scale beautifully: http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/IMG_0450_zpsde1e5abd.jpg It's not the same "range" per say, but take from it what you will.

As for the rest of the ideas, I look forward to seeing some pics!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on February 26, 2016, 04:08:54 AMAs Marco showed with his first link, enough GS can make a plastic army man look like a 40K Imperial Guard.
True, but still, the models I started with (1:32 Airfix WWII British Paratroops) already bore a fairly strong resemblance to Cadians. They've got the long jackets, providing the "skirt" around the waist - although I went further, a lot of the original model could have been preserved.

Start with the right box and just a couple of shoulder pads would give you a very passable version of the old Cadians. (Actually, I have another box for specifically this purpose, so I can pull out two visually distinct Guard units if needed. I may do some of them as specific homages to things like the Codex:Cityfight cover).

There are things that could be done with Shepard, but to my tastes it would involve sculpting over or replacing quite a lot of the model.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Vaguely related, what about Andrea Miniatures Dark Nova line in 54mm? Are those compatible?
There's two in particular I'm looking at, Kusanagi, and the Chaingun guy...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on February 26, 2016, 07:17:18 PMChaingun
I'm going to go into "firearms mode" and be pedantic that "chaingun" is not a synonym for rotary or Gatling-type guns (even if many video games mix up the names). Chainguns are single-barrelled, using a chain to directly drive the bolt - while a rotary gun often does have a chain drive, it drives the barrel assembly, from which the bolts are then cam-driven.

Mind you: Regardless of the exact name for his weapon, Gabriel Blackburn should work well.

I don't know so much about Kusanagi. I'd consider her listed 65mm hight as pretty tall for a 1:32 scale miniature, and she would need more conversion work in my opinion.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Okay I think I've found my headswap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legend-1-35-0045-U-S-Navy-Women-Pilots-Set-/351647534106?hash=item51dfd38c1a:g:AhkAAMXQlgtTA1aw
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legend-1-35-0043-U-S-Navy-Woman-Pilot-1/182024903381?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D477afee0355a475683e5cc3a66e56610%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D351647534106

And added bonus, these 1/35 ladies are actually clothed!
I mean, seriously, the amount of normally clothed female models in 1/35  or 1/32 or 54mm scales (roughly) is irritatingly low - I don't know whether to be offended that there's so many naked woman models, or worse that almost all of them are truly horrifically sculpted (so terrible). I mean truly howlingly bad here.

So yeah, people of the Conclave - would these heads fit Liara's body for a good Imperial-type character?
(I'm in favour of the lady with short hair, as that'll make for an easier headswap, and she also looks pretty good anyway).

Cortez

The good thing about naked (or mostly naked bodies) is that they're much easier to convert to 40k by completely sculpting clothes/armour on them. Every cloud has a silver lining  ;D Can't do much about the badly proportioned, couldn't they even afford a playboy mag for reference sculpts though  ::)

mcjomar

It's not just badly proportioned though - many of them have truly terribly sculpted faces to boot - I'd be ashamed to even attempt to rescue those models.
They're that bad.

There are some reasonable 54mm scale (read I only found one on ebay worth anyone's time in my opinion) physical scale ones - kind of like the davinci man, but a female one.

MarcoSkoll

Maybe. I have seen 1:35 figures used in Inquisitor, but it has to be for a small person; the difference in the scales is equivalent to about six inches of height. (And you tend to then need a little artistic licence to get over them not necessarily being built with small person proportions).

Whether it'll be possible to carry out a parts swap between that and a 1:32 figure... without actually seeing the two models alongside, I couldn't really say.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Welp, I pushed the button so I guess we'll see.
I'm hoping it'll scale better than if I tried the "54mm" Kusanagi model (who is ridiculously tall if she's in scale!)

mcjomar

Firstly - wow the img tags are working this time.
Secondly, as you can see, the Female Shepard model has arrived (so did the other mass effect one - all that's left is Liara to arrive).

Now, I'm thinking swap the left hand for either an IG cadian laspistol hand, or try to kitbash the laspistol in the picture onto the hand holding the assault rifle on the left.
Heads wise I have two, plus a helmet head - the helmet is classic mass effect style though.
Also - the armour. Possible issue. Space marine shoulderpads just look wierd, but I'm thinking some puches/holsters and purity seals from 40k scale models might work to cover some of it, what with this model scaling better with 40k scale parts than with =][= scale parts, heroic being what it is.
Would that be enough, with a paint scheme, or will I need to do more?

I'm thinking she could be an (another of my) imperial guard veteran model?
Or something else.
Not sure.
Part of me still wants to use the helmet, as it imparts a bit of mystery to her identity by hiding her face.
Even though the helmet is pretty recognizable.
Thoughts?

Lord Borak

Looks really nice actually. Is there a chance you can take a picture next to a GW Inquisitor model just so I can see the scale? I was thinking of getting that model myself.

Maybe, if it scales ok, the lucretta helmet? That might 40k it up a bit. Definitely swap the gun out for a more 40k one. A =][= lasgun cut down or major Jacksons laspistol might work. Actually, now I'm thinking about it, the Revolver off slick is quite dainty looking so might scale well with that model.

As for the shoulder pads. I'd steer clear of marine shoulder pads unless you seriously convert them. The problem with MArine shoulder pads is that they're so iconic.... everyone just seems them and thinks "Oh, you've slapped some marine shoulder pads on". Maybe give her shoulder pads more like a sister of battle?

How 'big' is the Kusanagi model compared to the =][= models?

MarcoSkoll

Unless you're going to do something with it, my call would be to avoid the Mass Effect helmet.

Depending on your conversion confidence though, there might however be mileage in turning the model into a Sororita. Sculpting some cloth would disguise some areas and you'd have an excuse to add iconography and religious trinkets in others.
It's not quite up for being full Sororitas armour, but could perhaps be a lighter non-powered variant intended for use on missions where regular maintenance may not be available. (Which would also be good for game balance).

QuoteSpace marine shoulderpads just look weird
Yeah. I'd normally give them a miss on anything other than an Astartes; They're a rather iconic element of the Space Marine armour design.

GW's =I= articles