Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Kroot Kindred in 54mm

Started by Aurelius, March 07, 2016, 04:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelius

Hi guys,

I recently came into possession of four (!!!  :o ) 54mm Kroot in a job lot, and I am looking for some advice/inspiration. Particularly if you have painted some yourself, (54mm or 28mm is fine) or have some cool concept art - please do share in this thread.

My rough ideas are as follows...
Each warrior will be highly individual, in both skin colour and gear. There will be a real mix of tribal and technology, with warpaint, grisly trophies and the like juxtaposed with more hi-tech gear. I want them to have been on the campaign trail for a long time, so will be weighed down with various loot which they have picked up on the way. I'm thinking a common motif of feathers and beads to tie them together, and maybe a common company symbol.

Kroot Shaper - with pulse rifle or carbine (from the 'Alien commander' kit), big fur/feather cloak, scar like Garrus from Mass Effect, Blackpowder pistol, and some Imperial kit - maybe a chainsword?

Close Combat trooper - paired kroot sickle knives, crouching/stalking posture. Possible 'predator' vibe here, with maybe a bit of mesh armour, human & Ork skull trophies, face mask and dreadlocks. One ugly mother....

Basic Trooper - with Kroot Rifle and standard pose - want to keep at least one as per the original, which I think is a cracking model to begin with.

And the last guy, I am stuck on. Any suggestions? Sniper Kroot? Flying Kroot? Sniper/flying kroot? Imperial Guard Kroot - with Cadian Style shoulder pads, lasgun. Another 'normal' trooper?

I also have the 'Alien Commander' to add to the ranks at some point, and some Tau drones. Now that I think about it, anyone know a suitable stand-in/base model for a 54mm Vespid?

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Cheers
Aurelius

greenstuff_gav

sniper krootwere a thing back in the WD list but i'd personally go for a second stock trooper; give more of hte "flock of Kroot" vibe!
or, of course, trade one with me ;)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Saearath

Sniper Kroot still definitely are a thing and I'd recommend it. If you're going down the more traditional aligned with Tau route I'd personally avoid the Cadian style armour. Personally if you want a more up armoured look than regular Kroot stuff consider adding Tau fire warrior armour.

Alyster Wick

For the final Kroot, why not try something more experimental (but still go w/ the shock-style trooper). A theme with the Kroot that is generally under utilized when modeling 40K armies is how different they can end up being based on their eating habits. While there are practical reasons for this (people wanting a unified look to their army/units) I suppose you could argue that they all eat together so variation among a cohort would be minimal.

Anyway, why not throw that thinking out the window and really do something different with the final guy? Multiple eyes, thorny bone-claws, things of that nature? Having a cybernetically enhanced one could be interesting as well. Let's say he was injured in a mission some time ago and has random cybernetic replacements. Could make for a very interesting miniature. Also, with the whole evolving physiology thing you could really go nuts modeling-wise by having flesh re-growing around the mechanical bits.

Total tangent, I know, but the diversity within the Kroot species is often referenced but seldom represented on models, so I feel like this is a great opportunity to go nuts.

Quote from: Aurelius on March 07, 2016, 04:30:16 AM
Now that I think about it, anyone know a suitable stand-in/base model for a 54mm Vespid?

One of the Tyranid Lictor models from about ten years back would be a decent starting point. You'd need a lot of GS work but the pose and shell presents a good starting point.

blacknight

I have to second Alyster's comments, why not a kroot that has been living extensively off of insects or spiders so multiple eyes, venom, wings or any other number of options to make something a bit more unique.  Probably a lot more work I know but...

Alternatively lending one to someone who has an interest in developing casting techniques may lead to unprecedented results and significant numbers of kroot flocking to the =][= games.

Marc/blacknight
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

Aurelius

Some great ideas here, thanks guys. I certainly think exploring alternate genetic traits would be an interesting process - for example 'spit acid' from eating a few too many marines. You don't really see Kroot who have eaten too much Tyranid, or Ork..... It's certainly food for thought (so to speak  ;D  ), although at some point I wonder whether it is worthwhile just starting afresh when something has diverged so much from the original species. Cybernetic enhancements definitely is a possibility, with a bit of creativity I might be able to stretch the pieces out to make 5 in total.

Good call on the old metal lictor for a Vespid - legs and body look pretty close, may just need a head swap and new arms, plus a bit of GS work. The Communion Helm is a nifty idea for an Inquisitor to be hunting too.

I didn't think they were that rare to be honest, looks to be heaps on ebay, only a bit pricey due to abysmal aussie exchange rate! Mind you all these guys came with Kroot rifles and the alternate head, rather than the unusual first take on the model.