Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Warband Character - Kayleigh Blanquart

Started by Colin747, March 17, 2016, 12:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin747

Just a rough outline on my latest character, I've used the twenty questions again just to get a rough outline before writing up the background proper.

Just to recap on my overall idea I've copied this from an older post:

"This is my general idea:
One of my ideas at the moment is a warband based around the right hand man of an Inquisitorial Representative (this Representative will be for background purposes only and will not be used in game). The Representative started his career as the staunch Monodominant taking to Ecclesiarchy propaganda at the Schola Progenium with enthusiasm believing that the Imperium are the rightful inheritors of the galaxy and all other races should be purged for the greater good of mankind that could only be achieved with swift and brutal force. He is well known for his school of thought, frequently speaking out against radical Inquisitors and is proud to be a Puritan.

From this point I've a general idea:

As he is aging he is getting more and more paranoid about dying before seeing the Imperium achieving this grand goal of inheriting the galaxy by purging all other races, some say he is beginning to show signs of Thanatophobia. This is driving him towards the Revivifictor school of belief, becoming increasingly more and more obsessed with increasing his life span, however due to his reputation as a Monodominant and the fact that his ego would never allow him to publicly admit to dealing in more radical methods he is sending his right hand man to covertly investigate knowledge and/or technology that may allow him to increase his life span allowing him to keep his public image of staunch Monodominatism."

Link to one other character (some small details have changed but not enough to make this info invalid) - http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2363.msg31849#msg31849

New Character.

Kayleigh Blanquart - graduated from the Schola Progenium, due to her strong will she was assigned as security on the Black Ship 'Aurore' of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. After a decade working on the 'Aurore' the mental trauma began to take hold, getting more and more desperate to get off the ship, along with more frequent suicidal thoughts. She seen her opportunity when the Inquisitors Agent came aboard in order to covertly monitor abnormal psychic activity detected on the 'Aurores' next destination. When the Agent was preparing a shuttle to descend to the surface Kayleigh stowed aboard, it was not until the planet surface that she was found by the Agents associate Harlen. Due to the nature of her work the Agent decided to use her experience to assist in his current mission.

Where is your character from?
Hive planet Pyros. Parents were Adeptus Arbites, mother was an Enforcer for an unknown Inq. Both parents died in service. Due to the nature of their work both suffered from PTSD/psychological issues which lead to negligent parenting towards Kayleigh. This lead to her having to practically raise herself, due to the nature of her parents work this meant a very hard life from locals.

Does your character have a family?
Both parents died in service to the Inq when she was 12 years old, was sent to the Schola Progenium by the Inq.

What does your character look like?/How does your character dress?
Chronologically she is in her mid 30's, but due to light rejuvenat treatment she looks to be in her mid 20's. Dresses in her security uniform from her previous job.

Does your character have physical quirks, tics or habits?
Is known to use recreational drugs to help cope with what happened to her parents and the fear/realisation that her life is leading to the same thing happening to her.

Where did your character learn their skills? Where did they first shoot a gun, wield a sword et cetera?
Learnt some general street fighting from her upbringing. Learnt more disciplined close combat ability through training in the Schola Progenium which was further built upon during her training and experience as security on the 'Aurore'. Some basic shooting ability from the Schola Progenium and security duty.

What else does your character know, stuff that doesn't come into the combats like a passion for Terran Wines for example. Where did she learn it? How did it develop?
Has a love for motorbikes (or whatever the 40K eqiv. Is haha), developed from the bikes that the local gangs used to use on her home planet. She has an old motorbike taken from her home world that she uses as a way to clear her mind working on it/riding it.

Where did she get her goodies?
Got her armour, power baton, and shield from her security job. Laspistol was given by the Agent as a general side arm he gives to his employees (for want of a better word).

Where does your character live?
She lives aboard the Agent's ship.

Who does your character know?
She has some contacts from her Schola Progenium days but apart from that the Agent and his employees are the only people she's been close to.

What are your character's likes and dislikes?
Due to her upbringing she has a hate towards neglectful parents and has a soft spot towards kids.

What is your character's Moral Code?
She has a lot of internal conflict between her days doing what needs to be done to survive as a kid vs. her indoctrination in the Schola Progenium.

Does your character have goals?/Does your character have personal beliefs?
She see's the Agent as having saved her from certain suicide aboard the 'Aurore', due to this she see's his goals and methods as a model for her own.

Does your character have any personality quirks?
She is known for dropping very dry jokes at inappropriate times.

Weapons.

Power Baton and Riot Shield

Laspistol
Military magazine (40 shot, Rld 2)
Standard Muzzle
Mid length barrel
16 Megathule chamber (2D6 Damage)
Triplex-Phall discharge generator (Single/Semi(2,3), low/mid power)
Standard trigger/grip
Standard Frame (10 Enc.)
Combat Knife

WS: 71
BS: 54
S: 52
T: 53
I: 67
WP: 68
Sg: 37
N: 44
Ld: 61

I'm not sure if the stats correctly represent my character, I'm also concerned over having a power weapon - although it is the only power weapon in the warband.

Alyster Wick

Interesting character and I love the warband concept as a whole (doing to bidding of a man to ashamed to deal with his impending mortality).

For Kayleigh, there's nothing wrong with a Power Baton necessarily, but given her background on the Black Ship you may want to go with either a shock baton (to subdue prisons rather than kill them) or something specifically anti-psycher? Also, the riot make sense for an enforcer or arbites type but it may or may not make sense on a Black Ship. I suppose it depends on the "subject" they have on board, but I'd think that some kind of wards would be preferable as they'd defend against both "magic missile" style attacks and the random odd mind control attack. Just some food for thought.

Also, you're character is dealing with some significant psychological issues. I'm wondering if you may want to tweak things to make some kind of high-level psycher be on board that black ship, one that is infecting everyone's minds with black thoughts. Perhaps something terrible happens on board the ship shortly after they leave? From this standpoint, Kayleigh's stowing away could be interpreted as a sign of fortitude against unnatural magicks, as opposed to abandoning her post. Or maybe she appeals to the Inquisitorial operative to get her off the ship and the operative does, knowing now that he completely owns her for being her salvation. I'm just hard pressed to see how she's going to abandon her post, be caught abandoning her post, and then be pressed into service as a Right Hand Man (although I may be misunderstanding, is Kayleigh not the right hand man in this scenario?).

Format-wise I'd also drop the 20-questions as they are and just make sure to cover those points in the background and/or play the character that way. Love of "mini-bikes" for instance is a neat detail that screams "tell me a story about that!"

Overall though she's a great character. You put a lot of thought into her and she's got a lot more going on than many of the caricatures I often put forward. Looking forward to seeing the model!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Colin747 on March 17, 2016, 12:40:08 AMI'm not sure if the stats correctly represent my character
I'd say that with as she had education, her Sg is likely to be somewhat higher than 37.

Her Wp and Nv feel a little mismatched (as the two are somewhat linked, in a similar way to strength and toughness), with the former seeming the less likely in the wake of her psychological issues.

QuoteI'm also concerned over having a power weapon - although it is the only power weapon in the warband.
What stats are you using for the power baton?

~~~~~

On a general level, I like the concepts involved. While secret radicalism is not uncommon in backgrounds, it is still an interesting concept.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles