Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ultramarines

Started by Simeon Blackstar, October 04, 2009, 06:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simeon Blackstar

http://www.ultramarinesthemovie.com/

:o

Not much there yet, but anyone else seen this and desperately hoping it'll be good?  If the Dawn of War intros were anything to go by the animation should be excellent, I just hope they've got a professional to write the script so it doesn't end up being 70 minutes of KILLSMASHGOREBLAMBLAMDIEFILTHYXENOS and all that malarkey.  They've got a real chance to do something good here.

precinctomega

QuoteI just hope they've got a professional to write the script so it doesn't end up being 70 minutes of KILLSMASHGOREBLAMBLAMDIEFILTHYXENOS and all that malarkey.

Frankly, if it does, I don't care.  A CGI movie from Codex for 40k will hold my attention for 70 mins even if the dialogue is restricted to "AAAAARGH!"  "WAAAAGH!"  "GRRRR!"  "YAAAA!".

R.

Simeon Blackstar

It would hold my attention, but I'd be a bit disappointed that I've wanted to see a 40k film since I got into it 10 years or so ago, and I want them to make the most of it. 
Same reason that I liked the Dawn of War 2 trailer more than the original Dawn of War intro - it probably had less violence overall, but the dialogue was more than just "Yarr!".  The Sergeant and the Eldar even managed to get one-liners off at each other as she died.

I wonder who the enemy will be?  Tyranids would be traditional for Ultramarines, but the massive bug armies have been done before.  Eldar, Orks and Chaos all have significant backing too though, and have been primary foes in other production.

To be honest, I'm also pleasantly surprised they're moving back to their Ultramarine standard, given the Blood Ravens got the Dawn of War games and Blood Angels got Space Hulk.

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Simeon Blackstar on October 04, 2009, 09:20:28 PMTo be honest, I'm also pleasantly surprised they're moving back to their Ultramarine standard, given the Blood Ravens got the Dawn of War games and Blood Angels got Space Hulk.

Ultramarines are the "safest" chapter to use as they're completely vanilla in every sense of the word. Hence they are the default way of saying "Hey look, this is your average space marine!"
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Hadriel Caine

I'm sorry but I just can't believe that this is going to be any good. I will be happy to be proven wrong but... Ultramarines? the film. I'd rather watch High School Musical (and for anyone that knows me thats something I REALLY don't want to do EVER)

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

RobSkib

I'm secretly excited, but openly pessimistic. We all know what happened to the Blood Quest movie... ::)
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Swarbie

At least we know it will not be stop animation using 28 mm minis.

I merely hope they do not mistake bolters for machine guns, like in the intro for DoW:Dark Crusade.

That annoyed me.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Necris

Well this is an interesting development

A shame they didn't just rekindle the Blood Quest (which was mostly done and some of what I have seen is excellent)

It had a good script and a good plot just a shame that the production company went belly up.

I wonder if GW will pull out again (Like Bloodquest)

I'm suspicious that this will be another "Oh look at how awesomely powerful and unstoppable Space Marines are, with only 10 marines we can conquer a planet etc etc etc."

Still looking forward to it and the possibility of other ventures coming to light.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Gestalt

Fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath for anything exceptional.
"All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity."
                                   Blaise Pascal

Heroka Vendile

I would say the most important thing with this is if the sales figures of this DVD are good enough, then it would give GW extra leverage if another true live-action film was to be proposed by a major studio.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

N01H3r3

Quote from: Gestalt on October 05, 2009, 04:49:42 PM
Fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath for anything exceptional.
GW seem to be getting pickier about who they licence to these days. Anyone remember the first leaked footage of the Space Marine console game due out next year? The game reportedly was tried out in that state by members of the GW design studio, who universally panned the game, which in turn resulted in the company responsible for the work up to that point being taken off the project and THQ putting Relic Entertainment (the people responsible for the Dawn of War series) to work on the game instead.

GW seem quite intent on keeping the quality of licenced works as high as possible (presumably because it means the licence remains something they can keep on making money from), which bodes well for projects like this...
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.

greenstuff_gav

one is failing to see any relevance to interesting stuff.. like Inquisitor.. we all know it's gonna be little more than Ultramarines wandering around showing how heroic they are  ::)

now Damnatus...  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on October 06, 2009, 11:49:38 PM
one is failing to see any relevance to interesting stuff.. like Inquisitor.. we all know it's gonna be little more than Ultramarines wandering around showing how heroic they are  ::)

now Damnatus...  ;D

Who knows, they could surprise us all and do a straight port of Nightbringer, the first book in the Utramarines/Iron Warriors series.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Ynek

It wouldn't surprise me if the film was just 300 with space marines (I.E. One of those "We are invincible!" "Look how awesome we are!" "Nippleman*" movies,) but I hope that the GW brain-trust have the wisdom to make the film into something more than this.

Long story short, I expect the worst, but hope for the best.

*= Nippleman was a short-lived internet animation which featured the superhero 'nippleman'. His superpower was that if he touched his nipple, "the problem" would go away. So, if the planet was being invaded by aliens, with one touch of his omnipotent nipple, the aliens would vanish, and all the people who had been killed by the invaders would spring back to life as if nothing had happened. If his house was on fire, one touch of his nipple would put out the flames and reverse all the damage that they had done. Essentially, Nippleman was totally unbeatable and the animations were intended as a satire of superheroes who are unbeatable. When a hero is the one with all the power and the villain is weak, the story is not very entertaining, as there is no risk of failure.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

N01H3r3

Quote from: Ynek on October 07, 2009, 06:43:17 PM(I.E. One of those "We are invincible!" "Look how awesome we are!" "Nippleman*" movies,)
Unlikely, IMO. Look at the other recent (licenced) Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 computer animation (that is, the intro movies for various computer games). With the exception of the trailer for Space Marine, they all demonstrate a 'good doesn't always win' approach (the original WAR trailer ended with the Warrior Priest having his skull caved in, while the intro FMV shows blows dealt by both sides and ends without a conclusion; the Warhammer: Mark of Chaos video ends without a conclusion, but includes the Warrior Priest protagonist being brought down by his foes. Dawn of War's opening video sees every Space Marine cut down, while the one for Dawn of War II ends with a Blood Ravens officer alone against a Lictor). GW's settings are generally presented with that notion in mind as far as I can tell - the heroes aren't always the victors, and even the mightiest are not beyond death...
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.