Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Salute 2016 - anyone going?

Started by TheNephew, April 14, 2016, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNephew

I've just seen that Salute is this weekend.
http://www.salute.co.uk/salute/salute-2016/

It looks to be thebiggest small-company tabletop convention in England [at least local to me].

I've never been, and didn't really plan on it, but I don't have anything else on this Saturday.

Anyone here been?
Is it worth the trip?
The website is not fantastically detailed re: what's actually there, besides some stalls and some demo games.

Apologies if this is insufficiently ][-related - this is the only hobby forum I'm [sporadically] active on.
Mods, please do delete if you deem it necessary.

Lord Borak

I've been a few times. It's pretty much as you described. There's loads if small companies you can buy stuff from and a loads of games you can try out.  Last year companies such as as hassle free miniatures were there and so were zinge industries. Quite a few stockists as well that sold old and second hand stuff.

I enjoyed it last year but I can't go this year. Two weekends away does not a happy wife make.

MarcoSkoll

I may be there. Although I haven't got any other commitments on Saturday, I have got things on Friday night and Sunday morning, so I'll decide how I feel later on.

As far as what it's like, it's a very interesting look at the overall scope and scale of the wargaming industry. While not every company is directly represented, there's still a hell of a lot to look at, do and take in.

QuoteApologies if this is insufficiently ][-related
Well, I'd say it's actually a decent way of hunting for potential INQ28 fodder, as there's a huge amount on display.

I have actually idly mused over the idea of whether it's worth looking into the viability of running a demonstration Inquisitor table there, but that's probably entirely a pipe dream.

EDIT: Just so no-one at Salute wastes any time wondering whether I'm there, I've decided I won't be. I'm tired and need a day off more than I need to geek out.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 15, 2016, 02:07:19 AMI have actually idly mused over the idea of whether it's worth looking into the viability of running a demonstration Inquisitor table there, but that's probably entirely a pipe dream.
Actually, to give a quiet forum something to talk about...

... could we make this a reality?

It's a very hypothetical question for now, as we'd have to research the specifics of arranging a Salute space, but as far as the rest of it, do we have a capacity to put together a decent demonstration table? (And if not, why not?! ::) )
We've got some talented modellers with some rather eye-catching models* and we've already got an array of promotional materials, so there's the start of something. We're perhaps a little weaker on terrain, given we often crash venues and borrow theirs, but I can't see that we couldn't do a good-looking table?

* And while I know I sound like the boy who cried Wolf-class titan after all the years I've been working on her, I will eventually pull my finger out of my arse with Leander - and she'd be a fantastic model for Salute.

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

I'm currently half way through a fair amount of =][= scaled terrain so I can always bring that. Although I don't fancy driving to London so would have to train it which means bringing a huge amount of terrain would be a struggle. A few of your epic looking =][= scaled vehicles would be great though Macro and would certainly catch the eye.

TheNephew

I didn't end up going, and now regret being such a lazy piece of crap - the pics looked pretty cool, there was a lot to look at and learn about.

As for future ][ stuff, I'd be happy to do an hour or three loitering at the stall and talking to people to give other stall-minders a break - I can't contribute scenery, nicely-painted models, rules fluency or experienced GMing, but I'm fully capable of physically existing and I speak comprehensible English.

It's accessible for me as well - I wasn't at the IGT because it's a long enough day to throw most of my week off, which I can't really afford.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Lord Borak on April 19, 2016, 06:08:00 PMAlthough I don't fancy driving to London so would have to train it which means bringing a huge amount of terrain would be a struggle.
Well, yes; I'd normally prefer to get into London by train, but I think any feasible plan for getting a tableful of terrain to Salute probably needs at least one person to bring a car.

QuoteA few of your epic looking =][= scaled vehicles would be great though Marco and would certainly catch the eye.
They're certainly a starting point, although it's best if any display isn't completely reliant on them. They're conspicuous pieces, but they don't necessarily make Inquisitor come across as an accessible game. (Which is part of why I often put my INQ28 models nearby in any display).

Quote from: TheNephew on April 19, 2016, 07:00:08 PMI didn't end up going, and now regret being such a lazy piece of crap - the pics looked pretty cool, there was a lot to look at and learn about.
I'm disappointed to have missed it myself, but as I already had a major commitment on Sunday, it wasn't really feasible.

QuoteAs for future ][ stuff, I'd be happy to do an hour or three loitering at the stall and talking to people to give other stall-minders a break.
Well, if such minioning talents are on offer, the prospect of people getting couple of hours of respite would do a lot to make the whole idea more viable.

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

If we did seriously say yes to doing this at Salute 2017 or a similar show anywhere  I would definitely be interested in helping out. I understand the rules well enough to GM a game or two and I have e box of npc's to contribute for use if needs be plus im ok at talking to people about the game.

Plus the deadline would potentially get me off my tush and actually doing something with the pile of mini's I have set on the workbench plus I do enjoy Salute though didnt get to go this year because of being really ill. I have found the odd amazing piece of 54mm on previous trips. Belle my inquisitor was a purchase at Salute 2014 that actually pushed me to actually join the conclave.

I may be able to do something completely mad as well if I have the deadline and a good enough reason to actually do it that would maybe be a way for me to give something back to the forum that has allowed me to get to play some amazing games and meet some really cool people.

I find salute physically hard work so would be happy to sit at the stabd/table for a few hours of it it would give me a chance to rest my arms and if I got the chance to run a few games even better!

MarcoSkoll

Running something at Salute would be a far cry from a conventional Inquisitor event; a much more structured and focused approach than normal.
It's not really a question of needing someone to help GM a game or two, but of finding the GMs who will make a showcase table come across best to the audience.

If it happens, I'd expect the forum to run one table (although it'd be great if the Ammobunker could have another alongside) that'd be home to two or three games over the day; probably with different combinations of players/GMs each time to give people the chance to run around buying everything. It'd also be something much more pre-planned than some of our days - I'd expect that the player/GM/character combinations would be sorted out well in advance, just so everything can look as slick as possible.

Mind you, such a showcase would still be a multi-person effort, even if not all the roles require doing much work on the actual day. (Scenery is an obvious example, but potentially, there's opportunities like the scenarios being collaboratively written).

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

yeah I know from running stuff at small cons/uni club recruitment days that it takes loads of organisation the demo games would be really well preplanned and scripted and mainly volunteers running it and swapping out as they burnout/want time to shop a little.

What my post was more about was a Yes I'm interested in helping, I would love to work with you awesome people on promoting a game I love and that I'd use Salute to get some stuff done that would help promote the game and the forum as a whole.

RobSkib

Making things eh? You can colour me interested. I've been looking for a reason to get the hot wire cutter out and fill the living room with tiny polystyrene balls...

I also have access to a car, so transportation might not be such a problem.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Huh. Well, it seems that perhaps enough of you lot are also willing to entertain the idea too that it might be viable.

If we can get together at least a broad plan about what we actually want to do, then that might be enough of a proposal to go and grovel some game space for.

As regards making any plans, things like my Rhino and Sentinel are certainly on offer (plus their alternative Razorback and power-lifter configurations, the latter of which I'm not sure I've posted proper pictures of yet). While I obviously have a Warhound* in the works and vague plans for an Arvus, I'm not going to positively offer those up until things are more concrete.
*Although it'd certainly be one hell of a motivation to get my arse in gear. Standing out in a sea of gaming tables is quite literally a role that Leander was conceived for.

I'm content to be player, GM or simple table-minder, depending on how marketable I'm deemed to be.

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

marco you're a cracking GM for memorable games and an awesome player in terms of encouraging interesting play  so any role works for you lucky sod *grins*

As for me I dunno yet but... Im hoping that I could sort of do something cool with one of the massive boxes of the russian stuff iv seen on ebay box of 50  odd 54mm plastics for about 18 quid.