Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Community sculpting project: Crusader - WIP

Started by Cortez, April 29, 2016, 12:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

I thought I'd post an update as to where I am with this.

Obviously it still needs a lot of work on the gun, gloves, lower arm armour, boots, backpack, hair and her skirt.

Cookie for whoever figures out the inspiration first.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Cortez on April 29, 2016, 12:54:05 PMCookie for whoever figures out the inspiration first.

No, but seriously, she is looking good so far. Personally, I'm still in sketching stages, having not really started until after the GT.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

Maybe I could add an espresso machine to her backpack...  anyway no cookie for you.

mcjomar

"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Cortez

Ooh, maybe half a cookie, as Kaled's conversion was inspired by the same thing.

mcjomar

I know the image too - I just can't remember where it's located right now. Does Kaled's WiP thread still exist?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

It's from page 13 in the original rulebook, in the spread that talks about an Inquisitor's warrior band.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Yeah that's the one. I just don't know where the url was for the image as I'm convinced I remember Kaled linking it when he was working on that model.
Failing that I think it may have also turned up in one of the DM articles.

Lord Borak

That looks fantastic Cortez. Sign me up for one of those when you're done (maybe two).

Cortez

Well having (mostly) finished the Alien Lizard Girl thingy for the other community sculpting challenge, I thought I'd better post an update on this sculpt.

She now has hair and the Lasblaster is finally finished. The observant amongst you will note that I've used a simpler hairstyle instead of the dreadlocks that are used in the original artwork as I didn't fancy sculpting all those individual braids.

There's still a bit more work on the gloves, which need some armour adding to make them look more like gauntlets and she still needs some boots as well as some detailing/decoration on the skirt in order to make it a bit more interesting. I also need to add some sort of backpack/powerpack which will include the headpiece/psychic hood thing as seen in the original work. I'm undecided on whether or not to add the ribbons to the pauldrons as I feel they might be a bit a bit flimsy for the 3D printing (and would look wrong if thickened up).

TheNephew

Ribbons would be best tacked on later, I think - as you say, wouldn't look right thickened up to a printable size.

What does the back look like?
Keeping the clean lines, or going the backpack/back banner route?

Very nice model so far, as is the Alien Lizard Girl thingy.

Cortez

The back is pretty clean at the moment.

I was originally planning on adding a backpack + banner/headpiece design as in the concept art (see pg.13 of the main rule book). Although I do like the clean look that it has currently.

I've been working on some embroidery/decorations for the skirt. Not sure about the Inquisitorial style symbol though at the moment. What do people think, is it too much?

close up view:

I'm going to add some pouches and a spare magazine for the Lasblaster on the right hip and there'll be a sword of some type (probably the same powersword used on my Techadept) hangiung from the left hip above the decoration.

mcjomar

I'm liking the progress on this.
What software are you using to build it?
Do you need to use a file converter afterwards to change it into something shapeways will accept?

Lord Borak

You can sign me up for one of these mate. She looks great!

Cortez

I'm using Zbrush 4R4 (I need to download the latest 4R7 version it seems as it has some new features which sound useful) for the actual sculpting. It's not cheap as a single user licence comes in a $795. However Pixolgic  is releasing a cheaper core version of the software with a more limited feature set. There are loads of online tutorials (some free, some not) and plenty of teaching books for all skill levels available.

To prepare for a 3d print you need to use a number of inbuilt plugins. One of which, decimation master, massively reduces the amount of polygons while keeping the detail, which makes it easier for the 3d printers by keeping the file size manageable! The other is called, 3d print exporter and converts the zbrush file into a format for 3d printing such as .stl or .obj (I use .stl), this plugin also allows you to set the dimensions for your print, specifically height as Zbrush doesn't actually have any way to set the physical dimensions within the software itself. I then normally check over the .stl file in a software called netfabb which allows me to adjust a few things and make repairs to the mesh such as closing any small holes to keep the mesh water tight.