Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Community sculpting project: Crusader - WIP

Started by Cortez, April 29, 2016, 12:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cymrilian

She is looking really nice.

Not sure if this has already been posted on the forum, but i tight you might like this.  someone made an amazing chaplain for 3d printing (though for a much bigger scale.). I wonder if it could be printed at 54mm scale?

http://www.gambody.com/3d-models/chaplain-warhammer

Cortez

That is a really nice sculpt. Whoever designed it must have spent a lot of time on each element, really impressive. However I'd say it has far too much detail to work at 54mm

realitybytes16

Wow I wish I could do something like that. How much you planning on charging per cast? I might be interested as I have a name in my oh-so-long character name list that might suit her.

Cortez

Selling the models is a bit of an issue at the moment.

The simplest way for me to sell these miniatures is through a Shapeways shop. Problem is the material they're designed for isn't exactly cheap (and has gone up thanks to the post Brexit slump in the pound), which means that the Tech Adept (http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2399.msg32501#msg32501) will cost around £25 due to the amount of plastic needed. The Acolyte/Investigator with the twin swords will be around £16-17 as it needs less material. I suspect the Crusader/Inquisitrix model from this thread will be closer to the £25 mark as it's quite bulky (although I have kept the skirt hollow, which will require less material there). The Lizard Girl would probably be at the cheaper end of the scale as it's not wearing bulky armour (or much of anything for that matter).

I don't know if anyone knows of a good caster that can work from the 3D prints? That would be a lot cheaper in the long run.

p.s. if you want the models printed in 18k Gold that is an option although it'll cost over £3000  ;)

Cortez

Progress update:

Added the boots and some gear to the right hip.

I'm undecided on the backpiece from the original artwork as I like the sculpt without it at the moment. What does everyone else think?

Lord Borak

I don't think £25 is a bad price. It's about the same cost as a GW 28mm character so it doesn't bother me.

Looking at her now though I don't think I like the 'flames' at the end of her cloak.

Thantos

Quote from: Cortez on October 09, 2016, 10:23:09 PM
I don't know if anyone knows of a good caster that can work from the 3D prints? That would be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Plus shapeways print quality is like having a model made of icing sugar. :P

If you want, can do a print at 54mm scale for around £50-£80, will be proper miniature grade detail.
Resin casts a few quid. Drop me a message if you want to talk production :) Cheaper as long as you order 5+ of them.
http://zealotminiatures.com/production/

mcjomar

Shapeways is that bad? Damn, I was hoping I might get some detail out of them at 54mm scale.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Cortez

Quote from: mcjomar on October 10, 2016, 08:32:20 AM
Shapeways is that bad? Damn, I was hoping I might get some detail out of them at 54mm scale.

No it's not. The detail is very good and while it looks like cystallised icing sugar it's smooth to the touch, you can get some slight texturing in the deeper recesses but that's it. It paints well too.

On this model all the fine details, such as the hair, the tools, the necklace,  the skulls on the belt and around the hem, as well as the face and hands are all well defined.

Of course you can get better prints such as from whatever machine Thantos is using, but Shapeways isn't bad if you only want one print (or to see what it looks like without spending too much).

@Thantos. That's exactly the kind of service I'm looking for. What would be a ballpark figure for a print plus around 10 casts? Also what do you charge for any prepping or fixing of the model (i.e. breaking it up into separate components etc.) before casting?

Cortez

Quote from: Lord Borak on October 10, 2016, 07:41:09 AM
I don't think £25 is a bad price. It's about the same cost as a GW 28mm character so it doesn't bother me.

Looking at her now though I don't think I like the 'flames' at the end of her cloak.

This is what she looks like without the flame design on the hem:

Which version is preferable?

realitybytes16

I don't mind the flame design, but the lack of flames gives some scope for other freehand designs, which I like :).

Lord Borak

I prefer the 'blank canvas' look. As RC said, it's a blank canvas to work with - Which is awesome.

Thantos

If you fire over a PM with a breakdown of parts, ill see what we can do :)
You would have to digitally break her down into components suitable for casting (for this model, remove both arms at the shoulders and fill to a degree the void under her skirt. Id also advise making sure the fingers are tight against the gun with no voids behind them.

Im a bit of a 3d print connoisseur :P So perhaps a bit fussy. Shapeways may be fine for gaming models which will get a good lick of paint at 54mm.

Radu Lykan

Is the breast armour a bit low? Hard to tell with the gun in way
Loving the work so far

Cortez

Quote from: Radu Lykan on October 11, 2016, 01:37:17 PM
Is the breast armour a bit low? Hard to tell with the gun in way
Loving the work so far

That would depend on the person to some extent, although breasts actually sit quite a bit lower on the torso than you might at first think. Fortunately these days there's plenty of, erm, 'reference' material around.

Here's a view with the armour transparant: