Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Terrain Log - The Temple of Skulls (photo heavy)

Started by phil1103, October 04, 2009, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil1103

Right. I started this terrain project earlier today when we were shopping and i spotted a ring of skulls, to be worn as a cheap, tacky necklace for the upcoming Halloween:

they're hollow, and made out of the soft plastic you usually get in action figures. And a photo for scale:

while messing around with these, I envisioned a temple of Khorne, using the skulls propped up as so:

This created a stairwell at the bottom of the photo, (of which the idea as pinched from the great gaming table log's stairwell) -  with a skull altar at the top.

The next step was to cut down the altar skulls to create the base of the altar platform:

The outer ring of the temple shall be a plaster wall, circling the temple and enclosing the front skulls, that shall look as if they have been cut out of the rock. (you might just be able to see the pencil line marking the wall).

The back skulls shall also have the same effect, with steps on the right hand side of the platform to access the altar. I will also have a small pool of blood around the rear skulls, with blood trickling through the eye sockets from a hole in the altar's floor.

Tomorrow, we will begin the plaster work... more photo's to follow.

Phil

Aidan

Nice, this has a lot of grisly potential. Perhaps a little too fine craft for your usual Khornate worshippers (and those of the Space Marine variety) but I could easily envision this kind of thing being constructed by one of the more cultured khorne-worshipping martial peoples.

Looking forward to seeing hte plaster work.

Swarbie

And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

precinctomega

phil1103

Quote from: Aidan on October 04, 2009, 10:50:11 PM
Perhaps a little too fine craft for your usual Khornate worshippers (and those of the Space Marine variety) but I could easily envision this kind of thing being constructed by one of the more cultured khorne-worshipping martial peoples.

Thanks, but I don't intend any Bezerkers coming near this piece. I find civilized worship of Khorne more scary than the typical Khorne influences, but there will be pools of blood and Khorne icons aplenty.

Without further ado,

Day 2.

So, we began work on getting plastered (pun totally intended) and creating the perimeter walls and altar.

The walls were created by using rolled up tubes of newspaper dipped in Plaster of Paris and placed into position.

the altar skulls were filled with plaster to increase there strength and leveled to make the platform.

We're now waiting for it to dry to see how the plaster turns out, as it may need another coat.

This photo demonstrates the proposed banner pole location on the left.

and finaly, two scary images messing with the flash....

More photos as we begin the final details before painting later this week.

Phil

Tullio

Coming along nicely. Good 'ole plaster, the terrain maker's best friend

Tullio

Molotov

This makes me think a little of the Temple of Doom from Indiana Jones. Though when you mention steps, I get a Mayan/Aztec image of the steps awash with blood...

I'm looking forward to seeing this piece completed!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

phil-o-mat

indy jones was my first thought too...
and i like it very much!
so, get to work. i wanna see it finished!
buy, phil

phil1103

Sorry for the long(ish) delay, I've been working on my new warband, and making sure that the plasters dry.

So - small update time!

All that's been added at the moment are the ramp and step to the platform, the platform itself and a couple of symbols and bitz to spruce up the platform area:

All that remains to be done now is to paint it, then add the Khorne marker on the floor, and the pool of blood under the platform.

Thanks,
Phil.