Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Vehicles

Started by Lord Borak, November 19, 2016, 07:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Borak

Hello there chaps.

Just a quick question. What scale do you recommend for vehicles? Is it 1:32 or 1:35? Have any of you used model kits for vehicles before? (pics?)

Cortez

I wouldn't use 1:35 scale. It's just too small:

1:35 scale pzkpfw II with a German officer and Jena.

Lord Borak

Damn, I was about to get this kit as, with a little 40k love, it looked as if it would have fitted in well...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311711756179?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cortez

A truck like that might work better than a tank and you might be able to mod the cab slightly. You'd need to buy it and try the scale though.

Edit: Larger vehicles are more forgiving than smaller (I stuck the officer on a base this time to give a better comparison), a 1:35 scale Tiger II:

Unfortunately I don't have any trucks or half tracks to compare how they look.

mcjomar

So I'm guessing you need to look for 1:24 kits or so?
Or something on that line of scaling.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Lord Borak

Well, on a whim I have just purchased this instead to give me a sense of how the scaling works http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201661744797?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT If it's a touch to big I'll grab the other one as that seems to fit the 40k 'chunky' feel more than the one I've just bought.

At only £6 it's basically pocket change as well so it's no big deal. I may even use it if it's the right scale lol.

MarcoSkoll

One problem with scaling is that models are often "heroically" proportioned (read: chunkier than real life) and are also on a base that adds the equivalent of several inches to their height.

For smaller vehicles, like cars, I'd generally look for 1:24th scale - partly because people tend to have this perception of cars as bulkier than they actually are.
For larger vehicles, like Cortez says, they tend to be a bit more forgiving.

For the record, my Rhino is actually about 1:25 scale, but that's because I messed up on the scaling. I made the mistake of scaling the Imperial Armour data sheets based on their height, and assuming that was to the top hatch. It's not - it's to the storm bolter.
However, the silver lining is that it means the passenger hold is actually tall enough for most character models, which it wouldn't have been at the originally intended 1:32 scale.

That said, Leander has been *very* carefully measured up at 1:32 scale, because that abomination doesn't need to be any bigger than it's already going to be).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

Is there allot out there in 1:24?

Also random question but if im building a weapons platform, would I be best scalmg for 1:24 or would the Victrix 54mm napoleonics cannon work as a base point?

mcjomar

A quick skim of ebay suggests that most 1:24 will be civilian vehicles, rather than military type stuff.
Your mileage may vary.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.