Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Community Challenge: Build a member of a minor Xenos race

Started by Van Helser, July 01, 2016, 08:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

My original idea for the species is that it is supposed to look quite human in appearance and that they are often wrongly believed to be a mutant strain of scaly. Although perhaps she looks a bit too human, which is why I was thinking of adding some more scales or possibly some spines. The forearms in particular look a bit bare to me on reflection.

I like the idea of creating a more alien looking weapon, although my original concept was that the race is quite primitive and thus makes use of mostly human technology.

Removing one of the fingers isn't a bad idea either, although it is probably harder to do (at this stage) than it sounds. I might experiment and see what it looks like and how easy it is to achieve.

As for reprints setting up a shapeways shop is on my to do list  :)

greenstuff_gav

I liked the theory that asari are so rediculously psychic they appear humanoid to us; maybe a warpbased species like the psychunin where theier physical form adjusts according to the veiwer!

Did you have background / thoughts on the species? Thats what i enjoyed about the challenge :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Cortez

Yes I've been working on the background, which has been fun.

The Cliff's notes version is that they're a primitive humanoid race that make both excellent hunters and useful labourers due to their tough skin which is highly resistant to toxins and radiation. They're a monotreme style species (i.e mammals that lay eggs), cold blooded (not sure if that combination is technically possible in reality, but who cares really, it's a fictional alien) and can see into the infra-red spectrum. They emit powerful mind altering pheromones from the tentacle like appendages on their heads, which are used on their homeworld to ward off predators, lull prey animals into an illusion of safety and for mating rituals. These pheromones seem to work on most species and have proved especially useful in the wider galaxy.

I haven't come up with any names yet though (I really am terrible at making up names for things).

I quite like idea that they only appear to be human to us. Perhaps I could work that into the pheromone idea somehow, i.e. the pheromones could make them appear more attractive/normal and less threatening to people. Not sure though as it wouldn't work on anyone who has a re-breather or enclosed helmet.

Radu Lykan

Wasn't there that red dwarf episode with the slimy green blob that looked like the dream lover of the observer? Something similar sounds fun and I can see the inquisition being interested in what amounts to a race of callidus assassins

Lord Borak

Lol, I was actually thinking of the Red Dwarf aliens when I was reading Gavs post and then got to yours! Although I was thinking more of the Psirens rather than the pleasure Gelf called 'Camille'............ Not that I'm a red Dwarf fan or anything.........

*Goes to make some Gelfs and/or Rogue Simulants*

Actually. A Rogue Simulant might be kinda cool. A combat mechanoid created by an alien race for a war that never took place but turned on their creators so all that are left afe the combat mechanoids prowling space for loot and combat. One rogue simulant is even called "The Inquisitor"

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Cortez on October 06, 2016, 01:18:57 PMThey're a monotreme style species (i.e mammals that lay eggs), cold blooded (not sure if that combination is technically possible in reality, but who cares really, it's a fictional alien)
It's probably not, although not really because of the combination.

Some years ago, in response to the fan theories that the Tau were egg layers (of some sort, anyway), I looked into the viability of the idea of humanoid monotremes. The short version is that it just doesn't add up very well.

The longer version is:
Humans (and specifically our brains) take a lot of time and energy to gestate, and we already push the limits of what's possible with placental birth.
Given a baby's brain has to fit through its mother's pelvis, there's a major trade off between how helpless our young are, the shape of women and how dangerous childbirth is. Given that any egg would have to be larger than the young it bore, you certainly can't get a human baby from a laid egg (at least, not any egg a human female could actually lay).

If I were strong-armed into coming up with an explanation for monotreme humanoids, then I'd say that it'd have to be down to alien biology supporting a much bigger ratio of growth from birth to maturity. If their young could theoretically start no larger than about the size of an apple, then it might be possible.
The knock-on effect of that though would be even more helpless young and quite possibly even longer to mature than humans take. (Which is a damn long time. Most mammals in our size range reach adulthood within a couple of years, but our maturation is closer in time span to 6 tonne African bush elephants).

And yes, I do know you said "who cares", but I'm not very good about not thinking about things like this. :P
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

That's a good point Marco.

Thinking back to some of my original inspiration for the character which came from the various creatures of Barsoom. The species there are egg layers and the eggs are incubated (in specially designed incubators on the sides of mountains) for three years. As I recall the eggs start off about the size of an apple and grow much larger over the incubation period until reaching a more normal child size. I also recall that the young mature faster than human children.

Van Helser

Super late, and really needs a wee bit more fine tuning (and gluing to the base!) here is the hybrid Enlightened Bremir.

Suffice to say, I went full 90's 'Eavy Metal with this one.

As a bit of background:

The Bremir are a semi-aquatic species of rudimentary intelligence, native to the jungle world Mercy.  In their natural state, these primitives are little threat to man, and were largely eradicated by mid M41.  In recent centuries, a non-native introduced parasite known as the Vorapicline have been found to latch onto larval Bremir, and as they grow, form a symbiosis.  These "Enlightened" Bremir show intelligence equivalent to many of the other foul xenos that exist within the Emperor's realm, and a good number have been seen on worlds an in shipping across the sector.  While their natural tentacles are dangerous, a few seem to have undergone bionic enhancement to better allow them to use ranged weapons.  It is believed that as well as boosting intelligence, the Vorapicline enhance the healing capabilities of the Bremir, allowing them to undergo implant surgery successfully.  As with all Xenos, we recommend the Enlightened Bremir be eradicated at all costs.

I've also got a new picture set up.  How does the background look?

Ruaridh

mcjomar

That's a very very nicely done model and paintscheme - what can I say, I'm a sucker for GW's "red" era.
The background is short and sweet, and covers an interesting look at the race in general.

I wouldn't mind seeing it from a few additional angles with this scheme.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

RobSkib

Awesome! I think the garish colour scheme really suits it and makes it look very alien, both in-game and out of game. I'll echo the requests for more pictures though, one angle isn't enough to satiate me!  :P
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

I apologise hugely for the delay in getting these alternate angle photos taken.  It was on my to do list, but I have been hugely distracted from Inquisitor models for a long time.

Ruaridh