Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Community Challenge: Build a member of a minor Xenos race

Started by Van Helser, July 01, 2016, 08:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

You said four alien bounty hunters, where are the other three?  :D

Is there any established lore for your lizard/beetle thing or are we looking forward to a tasty write-up?

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on July 20, 2016, 09:03:14 PM
i remember looking at the Rackham Wolfen but that's about all :lol:

yeah the Wolfen and Devourer models from Packham are great, the original metal casts are still available from Cadwallon, who bought up the moulds when Rackham went phuft. If you hunt around you can get the plastic Wolfen from the failed relaunch of Confrontation for stupidly cheap amounts from online retailers still (like Miniature Market).
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

krenshar

You've got the alpha-mutant there though, Lord Borak!  My half-baked ideas for deliberately Ixine models don't come anywhere close to what you've achieved.

As requested by RobSkib, here's the full set of alien bounty hunters as I received them.  On the off chance that anyone here happens to know who crafted them, please speak up so I can credit them for these and the gladiator.  There is another choppa arm for the model at top right but I've not glued it back on because I felt it needed something different.

I've had no inspiration for lore on these models in two years so anyone with an idea should feel free to let loose!

Van Helser

Received the K'Nib multi launcher from Alyster Wick and have attached it to my xenos.

I've been doing some sculpting since the last update.  More needed to get the symbiote on his chest looking right, and I think some tubes to further integrate the launcher with the arm are needed.

Ruaridh

maglash1017

Wow! I love the sense of movement in that miniature. It's really balanced and focused. Waiting to see where you take this.

RobSkib

Very weird and wonderful! What colours are you going to do?

Also nitpicky, but his right arm has some scales going on near the shoulder, but these aren't really present anywhere else on the model. Are you going to blend them in a bit or sculpt some on the other shoulder?

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

It probably doesn't show well in the photos, but I've already got started on some scales on the other shoulder.  They will spread to act as the Ablative Armour I rolled up for this beastie.

Haven't thought as far ahead as to colours yet.  Greens could be a nice direction to go in.

Ruaridh

greenstuff_gav

<<<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>>>
<<<VIDFAILURE>>>
<<<TEXT CONVERSION>>>
<<<FROM: Adept Decius Stolt>>>
<<<SUBJECT: Kark Pelimanary Findings>>>
<<<THOUGHT: Better to light a flamer than curse the Dark>>>

Hail brethren
This transmission is the basis of my report into the Kark, a Xenos race with a symbiotic relationship with the Obliterator Virus.
While unable to ascertain the species origins, the effect the Virus has had on the species is remarkable, the Virus mutating the xenos' form and function, yet allowing them to extract nutrients from any matter, from the metallic rocks to the bones and carcasses stewn across the planet.
<<<SEE FILE K02948-d039 - Planetary Data>>>

They also appear to retain their sentience, something those suffering from The Virus tend to lack.
If it's a case of the Kark being of lesser intellect, boosted by the Virus or their natural evolution granting resistance to the mental difficiencies are yet to be investigated.
While mainly able to grunt, click and squeal they certainly understand Low Gothic and some of the younger members of the pack i am studying seem inquisitive and cooperative enough.

While the immense data-static produced by these creatures renders most of my transmissions unable to relay, i have attached an smaller image to provide illustration

The Will of Metal Endures Longer Than The Flesh Of Man

Tech Adept Stolt
2569-8-RA1-F54
<<<FILE ATTACHED>>>
<<<TRANSCRIBING>>>
<<<DONE>>>

<<<TRANSMISSION ENDS>>>

i had planned on doing a full sculpt for this and did some pretty cool looking concept art, but my sculpting ability has failed so been throwing somethign out of the bits box :)
only basic stages as of yet, here's an idea i had for a new 54mm warband; investigating Xenos and Warp infections!
gonna do a slew of pipework next; the Obliterator Virus warping strangely :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

Now that is COOL! I kinda want to see little fore arms on it though. I really like the idea of a race totally taken over by the Virus, that's cool.

Van Helser

That's a cool idea Gav.  Like the In-Character write up provided by the Tech Adept too.

Ruaridh

greenstuff_gav

was tempted to add tiny little parasitic insects, almost like those birds that clean crocodiles but i like the concept of them not really being anygood at fine-detail work; would make for an interesting character methunked :)
plus ingame i love the concept of eating peoples weaponry! :D

had planned an avian-style race but the sculpt looks proper crap :lol:

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

The more I look at it the more I'm reminded of Tremors 2.  ;D

Van Helser

More or less finished the build for mine now:

Went back to the symbiote on its chest and added some more details.  This gribbly little bugger is actually the brains of the operation - the bigger, dumber, tentacled beast was unfortunately latched onto by this wee monster and is now its chassis for carrying out its schemes.

Ruaridh

greenstuff_gav

<<<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>>>
<<<VIDFAILURE>>>
<<<TEXT CONVERSION>>>
<<<FROM: Adept Decius Stolt>>>
<<<SUBJECT: Kark Continued Findings>>>
<<<THOUGHT: Without Faith, What Are You?>>>

Hail brethren

Please accept my latest findings into the Kark.
These reports have been delayed due to disturbance from the Golden Aegis affair, but now continue.

We have been tempting younger members of the pack we are following but offering peices of technology and raw materials; the Virus allowing the species to consume any matter so finding "treats" has been difficult.
It would appear the Virus favours energy based items; from Plasma weaponry, charge relays and the like; if this is due to the intricate circuitry or the ability to generate energy we have yet to determine.

The key reasoning behind our methods has been to closley examine and take samples; the younger members of the pack being far more receptive to our company and compliant to our investigation.

While the Obliterator Virus is certainly a warp-spawned affliction, the Kark appear to be uninterested in items of a Chaotic nature, instead treating metal iconography of Loyal or Heretical nature with the same regard as shipments of base materials.
Further scanning and testing has revealed they are also passive in the Etherium; generating no more Warpstatic than a non-psychic member of the Human Race.
We have been thoughout in our work and adhering to standard procedures to eleminate chance of infection to our team, however i suspect the Virus lacks its contagious manner from the Traitor Legions.

With the twin-solar season approaching the males of the Pack are certainly more active and i suspect we will be able to examine what must be complicated mating rituals soon!
Attached is an image of a young male who i have named Constance.

The Will of Metal Endures Longer Than The Flesh Of Man

Tech Adept Stolt
2569-8-RA1-F54
<<<FILE ATTACHED>>>
<<<TRANSCRIBING>>>
<<<DONE>>>

<<<TRANSMISSION ENDS>>>

while everything was on hold while i write a print'n'play compaign, the sculpting is almost done; gonna do 40k-esk rivets about the place and then he's ready for painting!
possibly notural browns for skin and dull metals with patches of faded colour but i'm not sure yet!

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

That's looking very very cool Gav. Almost puppy like in it's cuteness.