Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Introduction from a long-time lurker

Started by realitybytes16, July 27, 2016, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realitybytes16

I've been visiting The Conclave infrequently for years now, since about 2012. I created an account back then, and have chatted to a couple of members of the community, but for some reason it's not until now that I've decided to rear my ugly head on the Conclave at large.

With regards to Inquisitor, I've read the rulebook a few times (although my memory will always let me down when it comes to rules) and I've been hoarding models and bits pretty much since I discovered =][= (along with having an extensive 28mm collection) but the size and metallic nature of =][= models intimidated me a bit, and I ended up putting it off for years, which now seems silly. It's only now, when I'm imminently about to (hopefully) head to university, that I'm really starting to gear up to build some =][= models, even daring myself to try to develop my green stuff skills.

I've got a Burrows and Badgers warband on the go now (most of you probably haven't heard of such a game, and if you're interested, may I direct your attention here: http://burrowsandbadgers.com/), but once that's done I'll be getting to my first Inquisitor - in spite of being a modelling/painting veteran by this point, I'm still a little apprehensive about working with metal at this scale though, so would it be best to start with an NPC or a character I don't intend on using as my PC, just in case something goes wrong?

tl;dr: It's nice to finally meet you all and I hope to be posting pics of minis soon ^^.

Thanks for reading this little essay (I'm very prone to those), I look forward to finally expanding my forays on the 'Clave :).

Lord Borak

Burrows and Badgers. Never heard of them but those models are actually quite cute!

Nice to see you finally post. What are you planning for your first warband/characters? I always think about a conversion for a while and sleep on it. If I still want to do the same conversion in the morning then I'll do it. Digging through your bits box is always a good source of inspiration for me as well. If you need any tips with conversions just ask. I'm sure on of us can help you out!

realitybytes16

Sorry for going off-topic with B&B, but those guys really deserve more credit - their models are amazing ^^.

My first warband will probably be pretty small, mostly due to my glacial pace as a modeller/painter (as a Dyspraxic, I am REALLY bad at managing my time) but my first Inquisitor has been bouncing around in my head for a while now. I decided on the name Tiber Faust, and he's based on Covenant's head with Eisenhorn's body, at least that's the initial idea. I'd like to re-sculpt the hair to be loose and switch out his weapons and legs. I made a start on his haircut ages ago, but haven't got to the sculpting yet. I've actually got his arms sorted (this first iteration - I plan to have multiple versions of him throughout his career - will have a chainsword and a revolver; I LOVE revolvers!), I just need a pair of legs that go well with Eisenhorn's body and don't have the braces...

I have a LOT of names noted down though, so that'll help with new characters. What's the ideal size of a starting warband? My mind says around 4, but the =][= rulebook seems to think two is enough, going by the demo game they have in there.

Raghnall

Quote from: realitybytes16 on July 27, 2016, 08:14:18 PM
(as a Dyspraxic, I am REALLY bad at managing my time)
Speaking as a fellow Dyspraxic (although incidentally, I've always known it as DCD), I've found that playing chess helps in that regard.

QuoteWhat's the ideal size of a starting warband? My mind says around 4, but the =][= rulebook seems to think two is enough, going by the demo game they have in there.
The general consensus is that a good sized warband has 3-4 characters, with no more than about 10ish on the table in total, including NPCs. My main warband has 5 characters (although not all of them have models at the moment, as I'm currently without a regular gaming group, and therefore an incentive to sort things out), but that's to provide flexibility and use different characters to suit different scenarios, not to bring them all to the table at once. You certainly could play a game with just two characters, and that's probably a good idea for your first few games, but 4 sounds like a good number for a proper warband.

realitybytes16

Thanks Raghnall, it's great to know I'm not the only Dyspraxic on here! :)
I'll have to get back into chess, only played it a few times.
Thanks for the info on warband sizes, I think I'll probably go for two to start, then build it up from there. Only trouble is I don't actually know anyone in the area who regularly plays =][=, so it would seem I'll have to GM my first games using exclusively my own models (my friends aren't as into the hobby as I am, but one has said he'll give it a go. He's not a painter however, hence the use of only my models).

TallulahBelle

That's just adoreable I need to bookmark that for the cat's that appear.

As for INQ I started with a big well defined character first and their models emerged from there (other than Tallulah because with her I just fell for the model) theres plenty of views on that. rules first, background first or conversion first. I'm a background first girl and let my concepts build up over time so... it's all up to you.

I don't really paint anymore due to ill health so am commissioning my work mainly so cant really suggest help on that front and anyway I was always just as bad.

I find talking about characters on here shaping and fleshing them out over time helps allot.

realitybytes16

Thanks jediknight129 :)

Sorry to hear about your ill health, that sucks :( I'm fairly confident on the painting front truth be told; it's the converting I find intimidating, mostly due to the larger scale and the fact it's metal rather than plastic. That said, the increased size probably does mean that painting a single Inq model will take me a very long time. I do love the idea of coming up with detailed backgrounds and the like - I'm an aspiring writer, so that'll make good practice :).

TallulahBelle

it's ok I'm used to being ill now. thanks though plus it means models get a much more worthy paintjob especially sculpts like my felinid.

Yeah I find the BG shapes the model and as a writer it really does help. I have something posted in the IC forum atm if you are interested in how I work up ideas. I start with origin for the central character and build from their the others all become real based off the lynchpin. I'd be happy to look at stuff you write as well. I really enjoy seeing characters I may face on the tabletop someday take shape especially because they then start to feel more real at that point. I can imagine their motivations and reasons for each action they take which creates a much more evocative game for me.