Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Artemis Returns!

Started by greenstuff_gav, August 06, 2016, 11:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

it's 40k but no doubt we've seen ARtemis' new incarnation; Watch Captain Artemis - wasn't he Brother-Captain in Inquisitor?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40000-Death-Masque-ENG
may have to pick myself up a set!

also, i must finish writing the 54mm Marine Campaign!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

RobSkib

So when will we get a 54mm adaptation of 28mm Artemis? :p
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Lord Borak

From the looks of it. He's lost his right arm at some point since as well. That looks like a bionic to me on the 28mm. It's a nice model though and nice to see them keep with the originals pose and detailing (for the most part).

realitybytes16

That's cool! I love that the pose mirrors the 54mm model, and that there's some continuity in there.

At least this shows that GW still remembers Inquisitor in some way, even if it's unlikely they'll bring it back at 54mm scale. Maybe 28mm though?

TallulahBelle

It's the difference between his chapter rank and his Deathwatch rank I think that explains his title changes. watchCaptain implies he's leading DW forces comprising more than the more than the strike teams he lead when first seconded

We know from his background that he was originally introduced to us in something of a Sgt's role under the direct command of the Inquisitor who requested the team, later in his term of service he is described as being trusted with leading teams and investigations alone which could explain the nomelacure change.

Drubbels

I think the reason for the name change might be a whole lot simpler - as far as I know, the term 'Watch-Captain' didn't even exist until FFG's 2010 release of Deathwatch.
Previously "Adeptus Noob"

krenshar

It makes sense to have Deathwatch-specific ranks, I think.  After all, if a marine is promoted to Captain within the Deathwatch but returns to his chapter for whatever reason and there isn't a company in need of a leader, then what is a Brother to do?

Inadvisable word-play aside, a Watch-Captain likely doesn't command 100 marines like a regular captain -the chamber militant will be stretched thinly- but  still needs authority enough to interact with the Imperial military when there isn't an inquisitor on hand to make the demands.

TallulahBelle

a deathwatch company in full battle plate could be interesting to see

MarcoSkoll

Ranks of the same name are not necessarily equivalent, and Captain is a fairly prime example. To use the UK armed forces as an example, Naval and Air Force captains are NATO rank code OF-5, three ranks above the OF-2 of an Army Captain - the equivalent army rank would be a Colonel.

The most extreme example I can think is Brigadier - in the UK army, this is a commissioned rank of OF-6 (in charge of a brigade, around 5,000 men). In the French army, it's a alternative used by "mounted" regiments for the normal Caporal, a non-commissioned rank of OR-3, equivalent to a UK Lance Corporal (the rank immediately above Private, usually in charge of the second four-man fire-team in a squad).

I'm not convinced that the GW writers would have thought of that, although to me the idea that the Imperial chain of command is labyrinthine fits. I could very well see it that Departmento Munitorum adepts have on occasion researched which officer has seniority in rank or tenure until well after the conflict for which it mattered is over, quibbling over exact accuracies in the rank structure or dating systems from the different planets they came from.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 15, 2016, 01:31:35 AM
Departmento Munitorum adepts have on occasion researched which officer has seniority in rank or tenure until well after the conflict

i love the concept of making a character whose main focus is recording interactions between characters kinda like a reporter :D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

TallulahBelle

The books show stuff like that now and then, execution hour has a good one about Adeptus Civitas rank vs Adeptus Militant rank and slap fights about whose who including Adept Civitas who hold equivalent MilitNt rank and the hilarity of Planetary Governers being able to override imperium rank at some times but not others.

I could easily see whole departments dedicated to debating who is senior for days as the planet burns around their ears.