Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

All my INQ54 WIP

Started by maglash1017, August 06, 2016, 10:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maglash1017

This is my first post on this forum, so I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm Maglash and up until around 5 years ago I was interested into a few of Games Workshop's games. I've never been a heavy collector but I do have a Warhammer Fantasy army collecting dust somewhere on a shelf. Around the time I still collected miniatures I got the Inquisitor rulebook from a friend I was immediately intrigued, but things like availabilty of miniatures held me back from starting to collect. Until now: I rediscovered the Inquisitor rulebook and decided I would get started on realizing my old dream of putting together an Inquisitor warband. The pictures below show the first miniature I ever fully sculpted: apart from some simple conversions and gap-filling all those years ago I've never undertaken something like this before (so be gentle!). It's supposed to be a bounty hunter that got tainted by Nurgle's Rot. He has a bag over his head to hide his facial disfigurements. I still have to sculpt eyes, a second foot and do some touchups.

My plan is to create a warband that is mostly sculpted from scratch, however I'll be gladly using any Inquisitor parts I can get my hands on. I'm working on a modular terrain table as well, of which I'll be posting pictures in a few days. Also I read on here that there are people making resin casts of the old Inquisitor parts; I would love to get in touch with someone that's selling these casts!

Lord Borak

Welcome to the Forum and the Game Maglash!

That's a cool looking sculpt there mate. I love Nurgle tainted stuff! I always find it's forgiving on the conversions too! :D I especially like the tentacle arm and manky belly.

What are your plans for the rest of the band?

Van Helser

Great stuff.  Reminds me a bit of the Elephant Man.

Ruaridh

realitybytes16

That is an awesome sculpt dude! Welcome to the Conclave!

Sculpting an entire warband from scratch is an impressive goal. I look forward to hearing your future plans for the warband :).

RobSkib

Tut tut, no big yellow welcome?

Welcome to the Conclave!

We hope you enjoy your stay. ;)

I am very impressed that this is a) your first ever scratch sculpt and b) your first ever full-scale Inquisitor miniature! He oozes Nurgle, I think you've pulled off the concept very well. I'm not 100% sold on the rifle on his back, but I think it might just be the angle of the photo. I also like the irony in him covering his face with a sheet, despite his arm being a tentacle and the rest of him spilling out of his raggedy clothes.

I'll echo the comments about the rest of the warband though - what are your plans?

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

realitybytes16

Quote from: RobSkib on August 08, 2016, 01:49:38 PM
Tut tut, no big yellow welcome?

Welcome to the Conclave!

To be fair, I'm fairly new myself (in terms of regular posting anyway) so I'm not sure how to do a big yellow welcome ^^' come to think of it, I've not had my own big yellow welcome yet... :P

I do share your sentiments on the scratch-sculpt though :D

TallulahBelle

Well then

Welcome to the Conclave!

Also the sculpt rocks and I'm impressed at the quality of the rifle but like rob I agree that the position may need work

realitybytes16

Drubbels

Welcome to the Conclave!

This ^ (99pt) seems to be the maximum size the forum software will accept.
Previously "Adeptus Noob"

realitybytes16

Quote from: Adeptus Noob on August 13, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
Welcome to the Conclave!

This ^ (99pt) seems to be the maximum size the forum software will accept.

It might just be the fact that it's dark right now, but that actually slightly hurt my eyes :D.

Still much appreciated though, interesting observation - I wonder if you're the first to post a welcome that large?

maglash1017

Seems like my thread has derailed a bit  ::) But no worries, as  I am back with an update. The sculpting is now 95% done: the rifle was remade so all that remains is to attach it and sculpt a strap.

\

I've changed the name of this thread because I will be posting all of my work(s) in progress. First up are the terrain pieces I mentioned earlier. I'm in the process of building a modular terrain table with room for 20x20cm (and smaller) tiles so I can arrange the pieces in any way needed, an can include campaign-specific pieces as well.

First up is the piece that has the most work done on it so far: a simple building with a second floor that has an opening to the balcony, as well as a ladder that leads to an opening in the (detachable) roof. I'm hopening to magnetize the roof part. Any tips on that would be appreciated.

Next up is a sort of factory/water tower type of building. I plan on adding a ladder so it can be used as a sniper tower in-game.

And a tree: I plan on using this as the centre of the board in most games. It will have red blossom whereas the rest of the city will have a more desaturated pallette.

Following is the last building(for now): It's still missing some mechanical parts, a roof and a back wall but I'm hoping to turn it into some sort of factory with a courtyard.

Feedback and tips are appreciated!

As a bonus, here are some sketches for two more members of my warband, first up my radical Ordo Malleus Inquisitor. I want his face to look like some sort of mask or white facepaint, and try to sculpt him an ornate golden powerclaw. The other character doesn't have a background as of now, but will likely have ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Lord Borak

Some very cool stuff here. The changes to the bounty hunter are all good and the scenery looks great! The sketches are quite interesting and I'm looking forward to how you go about making them  :)

RobSkib

+1 for sly Wu Tang throwdown in the background.

Seriously though, there's a hecka lot to comment on here, and it's all awesome. The sculpt looks great and it's really taking form, what are your plans for a colour scheme?

I love the scenery, I have a big thing for 54mm scale terrain as you can get loads of incidental details in there that is much harder at smaller scales. I have no tips for magnets as I've never used them myself, but I have found that stickyback velcro circles or even a snipped-down cocktail stick with a hole to slot into has done me well in the past. I find it doesn't need to be super secure, just enough so that it won't wobble when accidentally knocked.

Finally your concept sketches are excellent - it's been a while since I've seen someone mock up sketches (inked and coloured too, no doubt!) for a character they haven't built yet, I look forward to seeing where you go with that one.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

Nice to see some terrain.  I too am working on trees at the moment.  The blossom idea is great - I may have to steal that!

The texture you're adding with the strips of plasticard will really serve you well when it comes to presenting the buildings on the table.  Breaking up big flat surfaces on larger scale buildings is important I find to add realism.

Ruaridh

realitybytes16

That terrain looks excellent dude, and those sketches are inspiring. Hoo boy if I could learn to draw like that :D.

Sorry for my part in derailing the thread, shouldn't have done that. I find it interesting that you sculpted his gun from putty rather than using plastic tubing or something.

That terrain looks great - I really can't wait to see that tree finished. Just the way the branches are arranged gives it a really cool gothic feel, and it looks like it'll make for an atmospheric centre-piece, particularly in games set in a small hamlet or a dark and ostensibly quiet part of an imperial town...

Gah, the tree is making me want to play Bloodborne again. I suck so hard at that game.

Are you going to cover it in filler, or do you have some other means of texturing?