Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

All my INQ54 WIP

Started by maglash1017, August 06, 2016, 10:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heroka Vendile

that's some very neat scenery you've got underway there :)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

maglash1017

I'm back!
I spent the last few weeks finishing up some of the scenery, making two new buildings and I started painting a few of them. Nothing is done yet but I thought I'd post a few quick photo's here to see what you guys think.

Factory Roof + Mechanical Parts

Currently trying the hairspray and salt technique for some realistic rust weathering. As seen in the previous pictures, most of this piece is built with foamboard and cardstock. The cables were made from Milliput.

Water/sniper tower:
I added some pipes and a ladder, and started painting work. I'm currently working on some of the base colours that still need to be blocked in.

(New) Ad-mech building
HavenĀ“t posted pictures of this piece yet: It was made from old computer parts with the addition of some foamboard and cardstock. I'm thinking of maybe sculpting a servitor in the wall to act as a surgeon for a "bionics-shop" in a campaign, but It will be a lot of work that will not be seen easily so I'm not sure if it will be worth the trouble. I might even try to make it a removable (magnetised?) part so I can put the sculpt on display on its own. What do you guys think?

Next up are some sculpts that I've been working on. I haven't quite worked up the nerve (or my skills!) yet to start working on my Inquisitor so I started with this NPC, based on a John Blanche piece. Bear in mind that this is a very small miniature, about the size of a 28mm human.

Next up a new member of the warband, a servitor constructed to carry tomes of knowledge. While I was sculpting the character started forming in my head: the idea I'm toying with is that he was servitorised thousands of years ago and that he has been blessed by Nurgle so that he cannot die: he knows and remembers infinitely more than anyone else, but since he cannot speak he can't share it with anyone. He kind of made me think of Giurescu's father in one of the Hellboy comics.

I'd like to get your guys' opinion on this and if there are any problems fluff-wise: I'm not the biggest expert on the 40k setting. One problem of course is the fact that if he is a servitor, to my knowledge he wouldn't really "think" or "feel": are there instances in which characters are made into robotic servants without being servitorised?

The sculpting on this guy is coming along pretty quick, the bulk of this work was done in one day, mostly because the armature was very simple and some parts could be glued together.

Quote from: realitybytes16 on August 25, 2016, 10:18:59 PM
Are you going to cover it in filler, or do you have some other means of texturing?

Probably filler, was thinking of maybe using paper-mache but I doubt I'll be able to press details into it.

Quote from: Van Helser on August 07, 2016, 02:04:15 PM
Great stuff.  Reminds me a bit of the Elephant Man.

Ruaridh

That just gave me an idea for an NPC...  ;)

He could be ported right into Inquisitor!

Van Helser

Wow.  It all looks great.  Where to start...?

The building looks fantastically built and the weathering is brilliant.  I can't help but see grimdark Thomas the Tank Engine in that second picture.  I hope he's about to derail the Troublesome Trucks for Tech Heresy.

If you have the skills to magnetise a servitor for the bionics clinic, then absolutely go for it.  It could be a great character, with many more uses later.

The twisted sculpts are great.  Rather than servitorisation, some sore of lobotomy (perhaps a failed bionic upgrade) could have rendered the character mute/an idiot savant.  It's not uncommon for people to get practically everything upgraded with bionics (the Augmeticist character background from Rogue Trader springs to mind), so some characters would appear robotic while retaining something of their original personality.  Also could go far to explain the longevity without the Nurgle corruption if you wanted. 

Ruaridh

maglash1017

Small update. I've been experimenting with mixing FIMO clay in with my green stuff and milliput. In the end I used just Milliput yellow/grey and FIMO and the end result, which somehow comes out almost as green as green stuff, works very well. It keeps some of the advantages of milliput but it stops being too crumbly. When dried it keeps some flexibility as well.

Comments and critique welcome as always!

Cortez

Interesting, erm, thing. I like the bizarre weirdness of it, looks decidedly Nugleish... now where did I put my boltgun?

I hadn't noticed the scenery before, it looks amazing.

mcjomar

I like seeing the design come to life.
I'd suggest grabbing some plastic bionic bits/scopes/etc from your 40k bits box, and using those for the eyes. Or for anything else, really.
Kitbash as much as possible.

I think you need to lengthen the torso somewhat though - maybe by a few millimetres, nothing major.
Perhaps so that the base of his spine is in line with where the pipe on the second picture connects to the bottom of the book.
That would put his hips in the right place.
The leg pose is pretty good, gets the right feel across.
I assume he lacks/is going to lack arms and is bolted into carrying the book?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

maglash1017

I finally ordered some paints (Vallejo Game Color, already like them a lot) and went to work on my first sculpt. I was a little anxious as to how it would turn out, as I haven't painted a miniature in years, but I read an [EXCOMMUNICATE] load of tutorials when not working on the sculpts and was hoping to try some new techniques! I'm really happy with the way the skin turned out. I used a lot of glazing to get the blend from skin colour to green right. I Still have to paint his clothes and some of the leather straps. I'd love to get some critiques and tips on things I could improve!

I also painted the servitor, both the sculpting and the painting are little quick and dirty, but I have decided to make him part of one of my terrain pieces. I tried out some more "painterly" techniques as well as a lot of washes. I'm very happy with the dirty and scary vibe of this model. (Sorry for the  grainy pictures, the phone I take pictures with recently died  :'( )

EDIT: Some of my old pictures seem to not be showing up. This the case for anyone else?

mcjomar

I'm viewing via mobile right now but i can't see the older images either. I'm using firefox mobile though.

I like the work on those miniatures. I've been delving into vallejo game colour and i like what I've used so far. Need to get a proper set though.

I'm guessing you could accuse the servitor of possibly being a mad ex priest with electro whips?
All in all some great work!
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

TallulahBelle

On W10 mobile nothing shows up here either

maglash1017

Heya all, it's been pretty long without an update. I've been working on some new sculpting work, as well as my terrain, to which some pretty big structural changes have been made. I want to have some more work done on that untill I show the progress though.

First off is some sort of hive ganger who's background is yet to be written. He's probably destined to be an NPC.

Obvious additions to be made are hands and a head. I'm thinking of using the drawing by an artist called "rags23" on Instagam as an inspiration for the "face". Also the whole sculpt will be tilted forward a little when it's put on its base which will improve the pose a little, like in the (slightly rotated) 2nd picture.

Something else I have been working on is a small sculpt based on a John Blanche drawing. The face still needs to be redone.

I'm making slow progress but having a lot of fun with scratch sculpting and I feel like I'm really getting the hang of it now. Please let me know what you think!

Lord Borak

Good to have you back!! Great look conversion work so far!! You really do capture the Grim-Dark.

RobSkib

I love your work and I'm stoked you're back and posting new content. I'm very interested to see how you do this new guy's head, it looks like quite a complicated build. Quick side note though, the forum seems to be having some problems interpreting some of your image links - they're just appearing as grey No Entry signs. Could you double check those? It's a shame to have all your hard work go unseen!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.