Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Shadow War: Armageddon

Started by Raghnall, April 02, 2017, 11:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raghnall

How similar is this to original Necromunda?
One of my fondest gaming memories was a Necromunda campaign. The inclusion of Space Marines suggests that it's not quite got the same tone, but it could be rather fun anyway.

mcjomar

It is reputed to be pretty much the same rules as original necromunda/2nd edition, but with stats and campaigns for 40k armies. The core armies are marines, guard, and orks. Additional stats and rules for other armies are currently provided free in PDF from the GW website (it's attached to the web page for this product on the GW site).
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Cortez

There seem to be some differences. The old xp system has been changed (the impression I get is that one team member will automatically gain an upgrade after each game). They've changed the ammo rolls to a 2d6 system too. Injuries have been massively altered too.
Lots more information on Yaktribe: https://yaktribe.org/community/threads/shadow-war-armageddon.5564/page-14

Personally I find the whole thing to be a bit lazy with just reusing the existing armies (with no logic to why all these groups would be present on armagedddon) although the scenery is quite nice and may work for Inquisitor although it sounds a bit overpriced.

It should also be noted that it's already sold out and is marked as no longer available (can GW ever get anything right?)

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Cortez on April 02, 2017, 12:16:28 PMPersonally I find the whole thing to be a bit lazy with just reusing the existing armies (with no logic to why all these groups would be present on armagedddon)
I presume the Armageddon part only refers to this specific box (where the contents do make sense).

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Shadow War: Ymgarl, Shadow War: Macharia or whatever with a different selection of models when GW next has a new scenery range to launch.

QuoteIt should also be noted that it's already sold out and is marked as no longer available (can GW ever get anything right?)
That's a big goof on their part, particularly as they've been pushing it quite hard and selling boxes as possible Kill Teams. (I can only assume a lot of people have started on models but won't now have rules).

What they still don't seem to have grasped is the popularity of some of the things they've been neglecting for years. They must have made a mint on their Genestealer Cult and Ad Mech models, the new Canoness model sold out in about two minutes flat, Space Hulk quickly goes out of stock every time they do a run, the Horus Heresy boxes have been very successful, Blood Bowl generally seems to be doing well, and some of the Made to Order models have sold like hot cakes*.
* I'm making a bit of a leap here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason the daemonettes I ordered came through in a double size unit box was because they'd run out of the right size.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

aeprod

I've already started pouring over the alternative kill team lists to play Shadow War: Armageddon at 54mm!

I have should 54mm, full size+ kill teams with Astra Militarum, Tau, Orks, Chaos Space Marine, and Genestealer forces.

I've wanted a smooth way to integrate  larger 54mm conflicts with INquisitor games, and this looks like a good option...

Hopefully they'll release rules for Inquisitors and some of the other forces in White Dwarf, as has been their recent M.O.

I would guess that they are going to release a separate rulebook to meet demand, as the new boxset is mostly just a new terrain delivery vehicle. With the seperate terrain sets to be released independently, and all the forces available as box sets, all they have to do is sell a rulebook and some artillery dice in a month or two and people can play.

Then I figure they might release a different setting/box with the same Necromunda/SW:Arm ruleset down the road, similar to the Horus Heresy box sets.

This all jives with some insider info from GW:Prime I got a few years back, and it's coming to fruition now...

But who know?!? GW might have another restructuring by then who knows what...

greenstuff_gav

i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Raghnall

Well, I can't field a 54mm kill team, but I can certainly do 28mm. Maybe even look for my old Van Saar gang and run them as Astra Militarum.
Given the more general rules, Armageddon does feel more like a subtitle to me. I'm expecting one or two more box sets like this. Can't say I'm likely to buy one though. I'd rather they released the rules by themselves.

MarcoSkoll

Apparently, they are going to release the rules as a digital download, as a response to how ludicrously fast it sold out. Not sure that will placate many of the people who wanted the actual box (with the counters, etc), or a hard copy of the rules, but it's a start.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles