Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Arbites NPC Thread

Started by mcjomar, November 08, 2016, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

So here's the first of three (the other two are still in progress).
I'll probably come back to tweak her further down the line.

"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

realitybytes16

Very nice paint job - I like the red trim in particular. The face is impressive too.

Is it me though or is the power maul ever so slightly bent?

mcjomar

Hazard of having the model on the bottom layer of the case.
I like to imagine it's because it's a whippy bendy maul, which she's swinging because she's about to smack it upside someone's head.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Cortez

Nice paint job. I like the blue with red trim on the suit. That's always been one of my favourite models, I love the dynamic pose and so I like that you didn't alter it.

p.s. I never even noticed that the maul was bent until someone brought it up.

mcjomar

And here's Arbites number two.

Lord Borak

I think the inquisition should look into who is supplying all the planets arbites with wonky power mauls.....  ;)

Nice and clean as always. The face is the best part, the eyes are nice and central and well defined. My only criticism, and it's probably the flash, is that it looks like she's from a toothpaste advert. Her teeth are very white. TRy going for a light grey or bone white for teeth/eyes rather than pure white.

You do keep churning out models! In the time it takes you to paint a warband I have managed to half paint a power maul. You need to tell me how you find the time.

mcjomar

I've got a local gaming club that meets on Wednesdays and Sundays, although mostly I only get to go on weekdays, and I have my Thursday evening usually free, and sometimes I get sundays free also - plus I usually have a few hours early on weekends in the mornings before my day starts, so if I'm not playing computer games in that time (I just finished Resident Evil 0 yesterday) then I'll trying to push on and get some minis built, converted, or painted.

The Techpriest Enginseer 54mm model is staring at me when I'm at my desk as I still need to try and fix the GS work I did on the axe (at least a little for now anyway), plus the left and right arms need some more GS work to make the parts joins look natural. Then I need to decide if the 54mm version of the model should have the drill on top of the clamp that the 28mm GW sculpt has, or whether he'll just have the clamp at 54mm given that it's obviously different to begin with.

But I really want to finish the Judge first (and then maybe the Tau and Eldar minis next).

My local club also has a monthly "showcase" where you showcase your work each month - I regularly get the lowest marks, so I just keep trying to do even a tiny bit better with each model. If I ever get to the end of my 54mm pile (which continues to grow as I find new sources and new ideas), then I've got the rest of my ultramarines and a ton of imperial guard to try and paint up to this standard, as I'm going to be wanted a 2nd edition force of Ultramarines, Crimson Fists, Space Wolves, and possibly Imperial Fists, and then a "current edition" force of Ultramarines and Blood Ravens. Plus 2nd (and current) versions of Imperial Guard, and Orks also.

And on top of that I've got Infinity models of Nomads, Pan Oceana, and my primary army of Ariadna to paint up.

And on top of that I have 2+ cases of Battletech minis (to the tune of something like 26 companies or more of Battlemechs!).

After that I have two cases worth of Robotech Tactics models to paint up. And in addition to that I'm looking at Bolt Action (Currently just the 101st airborne, and some german OpFor models from the Band of Brothers box set by Rick Priestly), and also a bunch of minis from Hasslefree and other sources (Dice Bag Lady provides a lot of links to good female minis at 28mm - like Heresy Miniatures, and Victoria Miniatures) for either non-gw 40k use, or for RPG use.

Plus I've got some Mordheim minis to paint (I've finished my Reiklanders, and now need to deal with my Dwarf Trasure Hunters/Runelord guys), and also some Frostgrave stuff to do (I converted the Elementalist wizard as she looked like she'd been hit in the face by a frying pan, which is utterly unlike the wonderful concept art on the front of the book).

Oh and I have 12 Gorkamorka Orks, for which I've got two trukks (currently stashed in my Ork carry case, separate from the Gorkamorkas, as there wasn't quite enough space for the 12 Gorkas to sit in the box with the rest of the Orks :'( ).

There may be more that I'm not remembering.
Although I am debating at least getting a box of the Fellowship (or picking and choosing suitable Fellowship models) for LotR gaming (which rarely happens, so it's more of a source of yet more painting!).

So I'm trying to work through all of this at as high a pace as possible, while at the same time trying to get reasonable quality, and also improve my skills. Something of a tall order  ;D

mcjomar

Right, arbites number three is finally done, just in time for christmas.

I borrowed my local gaming club's scenery to get these photos.

realitybytes16

God I love the Arbites judge model - I only have the one though, as opposed to my five or so Barbarettas...

Great work though dude - your use of colour makes me feel daft due to the fact that I mostly see these models clad in varying shades of gtey and black - I need to get more creative with my colour schemes. You've made me see the merit of the helmeted head too, which is not the one I would have chosen before - seeing it here on the model, it has a very Judge Dredd feel to it, which I like (even if I know very little about Judge Dredd :P).

The red on the jacket is lovely - what paints did you use for that?

Lord Borak

Red and Green? That chap never heard the phrase "Red and green should never be seen?" Hehe,

He looks great mate. The base looks a little bare though. On a side note, I'm loving the graffiti. "Smeg off", I need to put some red dwarf quotes on my own scenery now.

mcjomar

Yeah, we've got a necromunda campaign going on so I painted some graffiti on the bits I painted  ::)

As for the colours, the coat was painted in old GW Scab Red, with Bleached Bone lining, followed by a devlan mud wash and a badab black wash.
I nicked the colours from the old Judge Dredd comic book pictures (apparently he had blue with green gloves/boots at some points, rather than the classic black red and gold of more modern eras).