Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

...and now for something completely different

Started by Cortez, October 16, 2016, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

As I seem to be in a bit of an Inquisitor mode at the moment and finding my progress on the two digital sculpts to have stalled somewhat, I decided to continue work on some long (very long) term projects.

The first of these is an Eldar character that I started working on a couple of years ago. The intention was to create a character that could be used as a powerful npc for a campaign or potentially as the leader of a Xenos team interfering in the affairs of the Empire to avert some nebulous threat. With this in mind I thought I'd create an Eldar Warlock rather than a Pirate Prince or an Aspect Warrior, with the idea that the character has been sent, by a Farseer, into the Empire for some mysterious purpose.

With that in mind I choose an old Elf model from Eolith miniatures to be the base for the character and have begun sculpting some Eldar style armour onto the figure:

I've got an old High Elf spear that will replace the bow and will work as a Singing Spear. I think I'll probably alter the quiver and arrows into a sword hilt and scabbard.

My sculpting skills aren't great but I'm relatively pleased with it so far.

maglash1017

Looking great, the base model already has a somewhat mysterious vibe to it. The sculpting is not looking too shabby. One thing I'd like to point out though is that flat surfaces like here can look very good, but if the armour has some more detail it'll probably be easier to make it look good at the painting stage.  If you want to keep the armour as it looks now it would be amazing to see some kind of freehand design on it!

Cortez

Thanks.

I'm going to try and add some  details to the armour, being an Eldar she could certainly do with some gemstones here and there, especially a Spirit Stone.

One thing I'm undecided on is whether to sculpt her with leg armour (which is what I've started doing) or whether to sculpt a skirt onto the model. The skirt would be the more classic Warlock style. Which would look better do you think?

Lord Borak

I'm really liking the model so far Cortez. Any chance of a scale shot of her an another =][= model? I'm thinking of tracking down that model myself.

Cortez

The old Eolith stuff scales well with GW. They're closer to true scale than heroic scale so they're slightly less chunky than some of the Inq. range:

Sorry about the photo quality, but it shows you the scale. If I remember correctly the Jena Orechiel model is by the same sculptor.

You can get the entire range here:

http://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=156_66_76

greenstuff_gav

aye, all of Eolith was by Steve Buddle who has returned to GW (but what he's done recently i have no idea)

i did something similar with the sword / quiver for my Exodite Khisanith :)

no where as involved conversion so i look forward to a more craftworld take on the miniature!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Cortez

Your model is  where I got the idea to turn it into a sword from  :). Prior to seeing your model I was quite stumped with what to do with it.

Lord Borak

Awesome. Cheers for the link and the pics (both). Right, where did I put my wallet?..........

... Oh yeah, the wife.

mcjomar

That's some pretty cool conversion ideas!

I'm quite curious to see how this goes, more please!  :)
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Cortez

Some progress to report :)

I've carved away the bow and tops of her rather medieval looking boots (and repaired the damage), added some gemstones and begun work on the sword hilt.

Although I am wondering now whether to dispense with the hand on hilt pose and give her that spare shuriken pistol from one of my Jena Orechiel models. Although I'm not sure if the pose will look right. Any thoughts?

greenstuff_gav

could tip the hand sideways as if she's about to reload the pistol have her left hand hold a cartridge (or whatever those xenos things use!) ?

Build Your Imagination

Cortez

Her Left hand will be holding a Singing Spear (which is the blurred grey thing in the foreground :)) Which is why I'm thinking about changing the whole sword scabbard idea, she doesn't really need two close combat weapons.

I think the magazine is the drum thing on top of the pistol.

Cortez

I've nearly finished the sculpting now.

In the end I decided to keep the sword idea.

I just need to finish off the sword with a bit of trimming and filing once it's dried and add some details such as gemstones and a pommel.

I'm not sure what colour scheme to use for her. I don't want her to be from any of the common craftworlds. Anyone got any suggestions? I could also do with a good name for her craftworld.

greenstuff_gav

Craftworld Estloren'cuil and teal / bone colours but reds for gems / blades :)

can't help feel that the spear is a little long but limited by the component!

Build Your Imagination

TheClassyGamer

Well, because of this thread I picked up that mini. It recently arrived in the mail and after getting my hands on it, I can say that I really like it.

There is a lot of great inspiration in this thread.