Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Jack Jomar Loud model

Started by mcjomar, October 20, 2016, 10:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

So Here's Jack Jomar in his Inquisitor model, Loud version.
I say loud because powersword and bolt pistol.

I'm going to keep practising my freehand I guess.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

RobSkib

Ah, I do love a good Eisenhorn conversion. Nice use of the old school bolter in place of the bolt pistol, it fits very well here. Your freehand is very good, have you washed over it? It looks a little patchy in places, I think it's just where the wash has settled. You can fix that by going over it again with a highlight and picking out the raised areas of the freehand.

Are you doing anything with the base?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

mcjomar

Frankly I'm a bit uncomfortable working with bases.
The only basing material I've got right now is sand (unless I start finding spare bits that I don't mind using as basing material), unless I start putting grass on there.
That and I don't have a basing technique of any sort, really.

Also I look at models like the Execution force Assassins, and get wierded out by the fact that they're dragging chunks of scenery around with them on their base (making me think of the black templar servitor with that statue it lugs around everywhere - so now I'm imagining the calidus assassin dragging that think she's jumping off across the battlefield so she can jump off it again).

After my lack of blending, basing is my weakest area.
I tend to just give up and paint it a roughly suitable colour for what I think is the most likely terrain type (in the case of Inquisitor and Necromunda, that's grey because urban).
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Decent basing will almost always improve a model, so I really wouldn't recommend just painting them in flat colours.

No, the Arbites Judge obviously isn't dragging around that crate to stand on everywhere he goes, but neither is Inquisitor Tyrus eternally pointing menacingly at whatever happens to be in front of him, or Enforcer Barbaretta constantly charging around at full sprint. A model should be seen as a vignette, a miniature snap-shot of the character in one moment of time - and their base is as much a part of setting that scene as their pose, clothing and facial expression.

Beyond that, it's actually a good way of helping tie together sets of characters. For comparison, these are the basing styles I use for both Interrogator Regin's and Inquisitor Virasson's cells:

You can quite clearly see that these characters don't belong together, but when alongside members of their own cells (something I don't  immediately have any pictures of), the unified schemes help tie together the bands of (often otherwise quite disparate) characters, in a way that plain bases wouldn't.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I guess seeing as i work better with plastic perhaps i should look up basing components rather than materials?

E
Like kromlech stuff or some choice bitz from sector imperialis basing stuff?

maglash1017

Simple but effective conversion, painting is pretty neat as well. Like RobSkib said maybe hit the freehand again. A few small areas could maybe do with another highlight as well, notably the sleave and the green scrolls.
Quote from: mcjomar on October 22, 2016, 11:43:18 AM
I guess seeing as i work better with plastic perhaps i should look up basing components rather than materials?

Detailed plastic bases are always an option, but often they will look even better with some sand. What techniques do you have trouble with in particular?

mcjomar

I dislike flocking and sand and grass because with pva glue never seems firm enough to me and i don't  trust it.

That said I've  ordered some sinister birds from kromlech and I'm  looking at the individual sector imperialis bits from one of the bitz links in the resources threads.
I'm  not sure what else is available like that stuff.

E
I've  also emptied bitzbox of all 40mm basing components.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on October 22, 2016, 11:43:18 AMI guess seeing as i work better with plastic perhaps i should look up basing components rather than materials?
Whatever works best for you.

The two bases I posted are scratch-built (using either various plasticard, mesh and brass tubing, or a thin layer of green stuff), but yeah, basing kits and dissected terrain are also a good way.
Just experiment. It's not normally that difficult to rebase a model, so screwing up isn't too serious.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I admit I am a wee bit concerned, as I've got a lot of metal minis with the white feet pins in the holes, so I'm expecting to have to rip apart the current bases if I'm to attempt any kind of rebasing with the sector imperialis 40mm bases.

Unless I use the sector imperialis/kromlech krows (bad joke) to decorate the existing bases instead.

TallulahBelle

I really do like the resin/GS base approach just adding something little.

Eventually my cab army will all have medieval cobblestone bases for me to fot into a diorama I'm currently tinkering with. My Inq warbandni haven't really worked on anything yet though I probably should do. Hmmm how would one do polished wood or carpet?

RobSkib

Quote from: jediknight129 on October 24, 2016, 10:19:15 AMHmmm how would one do polished wood or carpet?

Not sure about wood, but for carpet I've used scraps of jay cloth, sprayed black and drybrushed with musty-looking pub carpet colours. It's a bad angle, but you get the gist of it in this image.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

TallulahBelle

Annoyingly it needs to be nice carpet for the idea to look how I want it.

mcjomar

On a semi-related note, my largeish stack of Sector Imperialis textured 40mm bases has arrived.
Has anyone worked with these before?
Should I start debasing my current painted minis, and figure out a way to rebase them onto these ones?
Do I just drill holes and enlarge them enough to fit the foot pins through to secure them to the new bases, or should I also consider pinning some of the feet also?