Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Definitely not tech-heresy: An Adeptus Biologis warband

Started by RobSkib, October 21, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

Like it says. Nothing is tech heresy here, no sir-ee. I have all the papers in my Aquila lander officer, if you'll just step inside here, mind your head...

I've always had a fascination with the Adeptus Mechanicus, especially the Adeptus Biologis side of things. These models have been in individual parts for at least a year or two, it's only been recently I've brought them together to form a cohesive whole. What follows are the not-tech-heresy minions of Lingus Quinne, who is still lying in more pieces than I feel comfortable taking a picture of!

First up is a big ugly servitor, designed for capturing and subduing local fauna and xenos beasts (and men, if they stand still too long). Unfortunately I'm still figuring out the best way to photograph it, as it's hunched posture makes it quite tricky. He's sporting a long chain weapon for grappling things from a distance, and a number of nasty drugs and toxins for subduing things when they get close.

Next up is something a bit weirder. In case it wasn't obvious, I had a Dark Eldar Talos kit lying around, and I loved the idea of a horrid floating tentacled arco-flagellant thing not unlike a certain 00's tentacled thing. I see this as the rapid-response part of the team, able to cover vast distances very quickly, squeeze through tiny gaps and subdue subjects with a lash of his electro-tentacles.

Finally is the ranged support of the warband. This guy is the reason I started this thread about weapons of the Mechanicus. He's an ex-ganger from a tech-obsessed cult called the Scions of Vyle. They started off as a Necromunda gang actually, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to convert one up to 54mm. They're all mad, and obsessed with being 'bathed in the light of the omnissiah' (read: deadly levels of radiation).

Luckily, or unluckily, for him, he was born with a mutation that makes him highly resistant to radiation. When Quinne discovered him, he recruited him immediately, giving him the most deadly radiation weapon he could find, and hooking him up to a series of drips and blood banks. Quinne sends him into battle, laying waste to his enemies and gathering the ganger's precious radiation-resistant blood. He uses this precious resource on himself and his creations, becoming stronger with each experiment.

As for inspiration, well...

And some of the original 28mm Scions of Vyle for reference;

As usual, comments and criticisms are always welcome! They're all in various stages of WIP, the ganger in particular has a long way to go. I'm trying to figure out the best/most ghoulish way of representing the constant life tap he's on. I'm thinking some kind of cherubim carrying a big ugly sack of fluids on long tubes from the ganger...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

mcjomar

That is some fantastic work.
I take it you're still using the badab black wash rather than nuln oil, or does nuln oil work exactly the same?
And is the brown wash on the arms devlan mud or is it a newer one?

A lot of moving parts though so I can see why it's difficult to find the perfect angle.
Very cool bit of work though - the final picture of it really works.
What was the inspiration?

The second idea is also nifty - how are you going to break up all the metal bits, not counting the torso?
Some sort of glowy wash trick, using a red, maybe?

Final guy is pretty good, though again I'm having a spot of bother figuring out the parts.
Nice gun - orkish?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

KaptiDavy

Wow! Blending that old metal head into the talos' torso is a fantastic piece of work, but the next guy's what makes me really jealous with that floaty movement snapshot

Thantos

Love that Talos tentacle floating arco so much! :D Amazing stuff, i really want to make one of my own like that now!

maglash1017

I've seen your last few models (which were great) but wih these conversions you have seriously outdone yourself. Some great kitbashing with the plastics! My favourite right now is the first servitor. Apart from the base, is the painting work done? Cause the only small critique I could give is that the big blocks of red could use some breaking up, or a freehand maybe?
Patiently waiting to see where you take this.
Also do you have a WIP photo of the first model?

RobSkib

Quote from: mcjomar on October 21, 2016, 05:29:09 PM
I take it you're still using the badab black wash rather than nuln oil, or does nuln oil work exactly the same?

And is the brown wash on the arms devlan mud or is it a newer one?

It's Nuln Oil now, although after having used Nuln Oil for about a year since my Badab Black ran out, I honestly can't tell the difference between them! Same goes for Agrax Earthshade, the Devlan Mud usurper, which was used on the flesh.

What was the inspiration?

Honestly it was 95% having the kits to hand! I had always wanted to create a big servitor after ogling Kaled and Kierkegaard's creations but I didn't really have anything big enough until I did a spring clean some moons ago and found an unopened(!!!) IG Sentinel and a Dark Eldar Talos kit beneath my bed.

I love the aesthetics of the Dark Eldar stuff, how they viciously blend man and machine together, very rarely to the benefit of the subject of course. The sleek DE aesthetic was offset by the hideously clunky IG legs, which IMO is what the adeptus mechanicus are all about.

The second idea is also nifty - how are you going to break up all the metal bits, not counting the torso?
Some sort of glowy wash trick, using a red, maybe?

I'm planning all kinds of AdMech bar codes, allegiances, callsigns and identifying marks. I'm a bit stuck at this stage now as I'm not 100% sure on what I'm going to do, and with a million options I'm finding it hard to narrow it down to just a few!

Final guy is pretty good, though again I'm having a spot of bother figuring out the parts.
Nice gun - orkish?

It's Malicant's legs, Preacher Josef's head (he's been given a shave) Sergeant Stone's body and left arm, and the ganger's right arm whose name I can't remember, but he's got MASSIVE arms. The weapon is mostly made from a weapon from the new AdMech Kataphron servitors.

Quote from: KaptiDavy on October 21, 2016, 10:02:31 PM
Wow! Blending that old metal head into the talos' torso is a fantastic piece of work, but the next guy's what makes me really jealous with that floaty movement snapshot

Thank you! It was really just a matter of having the right bits - the floaty base was already mostly assembled from the Talos kit and I was just umming and erring over what to put on the top. It was going to be a tentacled weapons platform for a little while so I could use the tentacle arms on a different model, but it sat in limbo for about six months while I couldn't decide.

Quote from: Thantos on October 22, 2016, 04:34:33 PM
Love that Talos tentacle floating arco so much! :D Amazing stuff, i really want to make one of my own like that now!

Thanks :) You should definitely check out some of the plastic Dark Eldar sprues, they're fantastic for inspiration for sinister-yet-not-completely-tech-heretic pieces

Quote from: maglash1017 on October 23, 2016, 09:42:14 AM
I've seen your last few models (which were great) but wih these conversions you have seriously outdone yourself. Some great kitbashing with the plastics! My favourite right now is the first servitor. Apart from the base, is the painting work done? Cause the only small critique I could give is that the big blocks of red could use some breaking up, or a freehand maybe?
Patiently waiting to see where you take this.
Also do you have a WIP photo of the first model?

Ah, I wish I had taken a WIP of the model before I started painting! I think I reasoned that it was just almost entirely from two kits (IG sentinel and DE Talos/Pain Engine) that I didn't think it was worth it. Foolish, foolish me.

It's not finished yet, I've just added the base colours and done some highlighting on the flesh. I do plan on breaking up the red with white trim and perhaps some hazard stripes, but I havn't decided on the designs yet. As soon as it comes to making a decision, my industry comes grinding to a halt while I try and figure out the 'optimal' design. Alas, there is no such thing!

Thanks all for your kind words, it's certainly helped spur me into taking some action and finishing this project!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.