The Ordos Majoris - Hobby, Painting and Modelling > The Dark Millennium

Ian Watson's Jaq Draco Trilogy in Inquisitor?

(1/6) > >>

Inquisitor Thaken:
Has anybody done Inquisitor conversions for this stuff?

Not so much the characters.  Yes, Squats are no longer canon, and as to the rest, Jaq, Meh'Lindi Vitale Googol, and Obispal are really just fairly generic versions of their types.

Rather, the unique elements that made the books interesting., such as:

The Harlequin Man: He is clearly an illuminatus, trying to subvert the Ordo Hydra from within.  He is, as Meh'Lindi describes him, a truly remarkable person, with a lot of abilities, and a level of compassion that is rare in the Imperium.  Also, having been once possessed, he has a resistance to the chaotic, psychic and daemonic beyond what most characters possess.  As a PC, he'd be something like a paladin: lots of special McGuffins, but limitations on what he is allowed to do, based on his battle against chaos.

The Ordo Hydra: Now THIS would be really interesting.  An Inquisition ordo that is not just radicalized but wholly under the power of chaos, and with a neat little biological/chaotic mind control gadget (pieces of the hydra) to boot.  Ordo Hydra Inquisitors would be charged with seeding pieces of the hydra on every planet they visited.  They would probably still fight chaos if directly confronted with it, while, all unknowingly, serving its ends.  BTW, I definitely see the Ordo Hydra as serving Undivided Chaos.

The Inquisition Wars: Of course, the trilogy starts out with Draco seeking to expose the Ordo Hydra, and devolves (it is often complained) into a quest for Officio Assassinorum booty.  There has been a lot of speculation as to why Watson went this route, to include a falling out with GW after writing the first book (taking away his creative freedom: "Okay, Ian, Inquisitor was great, but in this next one we want Slaaneshi marines, and Tyranids, and Genestealers, and...") to which Watson replies by giving them exactly what they asked for - encased within a crappy story.

I tend to see it differently, however.  The whole point of the story is that it DOES drift away from the point of the story.  Draco ends up succumbing to romantic love (or lust) and everything he does, though cloaked in the mantle of defeating the Ordo Hydra, becomes increasingly just about bringing his assassin girlfriend back from the dead, even at the cost of a living woman's life to do so.

In any case, from the ending of the first book, it becomes obvious that the Inquisition Wars do break out in full swing at some point after Draco's death/ascendance, and it would be interesting to see what form this takes.  Obviously, it would be the untainted Ordos vs.  the Ordo Hydra, but who actually ended up on which side could be amusing to find out.  I can see a lot of the Puritan Inquisitors being duped into following the Hydras, while many of the more radical but more sensible Inquisitors might grasp what they really were fairly quickly. 

Certainly, a lot of damage would result, with massive forces of the Imperial Guard, Fleet, Space Marines, Arbites, etc., being called in, and possibly given conflicting commands by various different Inquisitors, leading the the Imperium becoming evn more of a confusing, bloody mess than it generally is.

A sort of grand quest by a few dedicated inquisitors (your characters) might be tasked (probably by no one other than themselves, once they figured out what was really happening, or maybe by the Illuminati) with tracking the Hydra to its source and destroying it.

P.S. As to Squats not being canon, who cares?  They certainly were at one point, or they couldn't have been destroyed by the 'nids, so Draco and company are obviously just from this earlier period.

MarcoSkoll:

--- Quote from: Inquisitor Thaken on October 24, 2016, 01:05:38 AM ---Squats are no longer canon
--- End quote ---
Not entirely the case. The 6th Edition 40k rulebook mentioned them (albeit briefly) as one of the abhuman variants recognised by the Imperium.

Their role in the current version of the background is of course still very limited though, given that GW has no interest in them as a faction. And I can sort of see why - of all the obviously "borrowed" fantasy races, they've always felt the least distinct from their inspiration to me, and their greater grasp on technology was least suited to the direction 40k eventually went.

I've long wondered about how seriously the Tyranid story was intended, given that the fluff of the time was rather more tongue-in-cheek than it is now:

Player: "Before, the Squats were battling Orks while riding a mighty Leviathan, yet in the very next edition, my dear, there's no sign of them! Please to explain it!"
GW: "Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that... the Tyranids ate them".

--- Quote ---Has anybody done Inquisitor conversions for this stuff?
--- End quote ---
Here and there. As you say, the current canonicity of a lot of the older fluff the books are based on is rocky.

The standard 'Clave advice on player-written background (which also really applies to other non-canon stuff, including ex-canon material) is to keep it to a fairly limited scale, stuff that wouldn't really impact on the big picture. Mostly that advice applies to stop people writing *another* of Eisenhorn's apprentices, running a story where they blow up Cadia or whatever, but it also avoids "Why isn't something this major common knowledge?", and keeps players who might not like the older/your fluff happier than if you're expecting them to believe major stories.

These days, if someone writes an Illuminati character, the Illuminati tends to be less of a grand organisation and instead more of a number of very rare and usually semi-isolated individuals, their "illuminated abilities" tend to be much more restricted... that kind of thing.

There's potential in these ideas, but they're best in moderation.

Inquisitor Thaken:
My take on GW and its endless retcons of retcons, is that they add to the fun.

Look at it this way.  There were Squats.  Then the Tyranids ate them.  Then they came back (maybe, sort of).

So which of these is true?

Who cares?  In the words of Jack Nicholson, "You can't handle the truth!", which is really what the Inquisition is all about.

I say that each area of fluff that conflicts with another is really just representative of the writings of different Inquisitors, and their various opinions/dogmas/lies about what is really going on in the Imperium.  The Empire of Man is vast, and only loosely held together.  The rulers of it are divided, to say the least.  Why couldn't all of these things be versions of the truth?

Another example is the way canon conflicts with rules, and rules conflict with each other.  There is GW fluff that has the space marines as 10' tall monsters capable of taking out ten or twenty times their number of ordinary humans, but anybody who has played any version of 40k knows this isn't accurate.  Obviously, it is Imperial propaganda.  Yes, the SMs are tough, but nowhere near that tough.  In fact, if I recall correctly, there was an old WD article that gave rules for SMs that had them as the invincible killing machines that canon repeatedly states they are.

Even here, the rules of different games collide with each other.  Inquisitor SMs are far tougher than 40K SMs.  Why?  Perhaps they represent a different viewpoint, or only high-powered character types that the 40K rules represent as heroes of various levels.

In short, maybe there is an illuminati, maybe there isn't.  If they do exist, maybe they are few and far between, or maybe they are the network beneath all networks that truly rules the Imperium.  Who knows?  I'm sure there are Inquisitors who would subscribe to any of the above viewpoints.

However, like any rpg (which Inquisitor kinda is, though of course, that's only MY heretical opinion ;-)  ) there is a lot more fun to be had if the GM is given free reign to develop his universe (which it became the second he bought the rule book), rather than having to answer to canon for each small alteration.

Just my opinion, and it will not be missed, soon being eclipsed by new and brighter lights  ;-)

TheNephew:
The "all fluff is a viewpoint" stance is GW's official one, as well as most other peoples' since before GW declared it official.

With the Squats, I'd always assumed, as with every other flavour of alien or mutant, that there was a good handful of them scattered around the galaxy - they were supposed to be fairly well integrated into the Imperium at the time of eating, if memory serves. It's more than a little unbelievable that every last member would even have been physically able to travel home in time to get eaten, transit times beign what they are in-universe.

As for Marines in 40k versus Inquisitor - the Inquisitor ones are supposed to be reasonably accurate, while the ones in 40k are supposed to be game pieces.
GW would make no money from a fluff-accurate army of 28mm Space Marines, because it would be a quarter of the size of the current ones.
That would apply equally to Eldar, Chaos Marines, Necrons and virtually every other 'elite' faction.

As for the Illuminati...
That one really was dropped by GW, last time I was involved in the fluff, so that's totally up to your interpretation for use without conflicting with anything 'canon'.
But maybe it's been picked up again.

Inquisitor Thaken:

--- Quote from: TheNephew on October 24, 2016, 08:09:33 PM ---The "all fluff is a viewpoint" stance is GW's official one, as well as most other peoples' since before GW declared it official.

--- End quote ---

So they finally saw the wisdom of my position.  Good lads.

--- Quote from: TheNephew on October 24, 2016, 08:09:33 PM ---With the Squats, I'd always assumed, as with every other flavour of alien or mutant, that there was a good handful of them scattered around the galaxy - they were supposed to be fairly well integrated into the Imperium at the time of eating, if memory serves. It's more than a little unbelievable that every last member would even have been physically able to travel home in time to get eaten, transit times beign what they are in-universe.

--- End quote ---

I think I've seen it bandied about that "the Tyranids ate the Squats" makes far less sense than that this was a cover story for the paranoid Imperium to strike in and wipe them out.

--- Quote from: TheNephew on October 24, 2016, 08:09:33 PM ---
As for the Illuminati...
That one really was dropped...

--- End quote ---

And isn't that exactly what the Illuminati would want you to think...   3:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version