Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

big bad - xenos

Started by Radu Lykan, November 08, 2016, 08:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radu Lykan

why finish something when you can just start something else? with magnire a hairs breadth from finished i obviously just picked something else to do, with a few other xenos in the pipeline i figured a new thread was in order specifically for xenos

built and sprayed this guy rather quickly, excited to see one in a game :)
hopefully get some proper paint on him later this week

Lord Borak

Looking good. He came out well in the end :) Nice work fixing the claws too.

TheClassyGamer

The Genestealer is one of my all time favorite miniatures.  There is something about it that I just love.  I look forward to seeing it finished.   

Radu Lykan

cheers borak, was a bit harder than i thought to get sharp edges but it worked out in the end
classygamer, the wait is over! :)

finished my Genestealer! cant get a decent pic of it however. had problems taking pics of my bfg nid ships which are in the same scheme. any tips on photographing models that are mostly black and glossed?
the scheme is basically that of a xenomorph from aliens with added green/yellow details
here are pics with my usual crusade of fire back drop

wasnt happy with these as the metallic blue doesnt really show properly so out came the light box. that didnt seem to help as can be seen in the spoiler tags, any advice is welcome

[spoiler]
heres the worst pic, using my wifes old iphone 5c, the ipink phone kept reflecting back at me :(

an orange background sort of worked last time so i tried red

then white

[/spoiler]

also am a bit stuck on what to do for the base? i have some bases that look like xenomorph infestation, i can do spaceship decking or something else?

TheClassyGamer

Awesome.  Also, it is amazing how much difference the backgrounds in those photos make from photo to photo.

I've not done a lot of mini photography so I can't offer much advice there.

Are you thinking cast resin type bases or looking to make your own.  I've seen the resin ones that look like the alien bio stuff before.  Something like these

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_30_68&products_id=304&zenid=60e7931535d8d7f97a74c032c0c2c2da

With the color scheme being a dark gloss I don't know how that would play with using the same color on the base though as it may all just kind of blend together.  I like the tech decking idea but that's just me.  Some dull worn and rusty colors to contrast the mini may be cool.

Radu Lykan

Thought this guy was a bit lonely so have begun on another, have reposed it quite a bit, arms, legs and torso were all cut up for this guy. Hopefully when he's done I will get a decent pic of the two together

Going for the more traditional space hulk colours with this one, dark blue and purple

Lord Borak

Looking good. Going to have him done for the weekend? :D

Radu Lykan

lol been trying hard but time has gotten away from me. I am blaming my daughters sudden interest in dawn of war dark crusade, it's actually a nice problem to have :)
This is as far as I got today,

maybe a bit more tomorrow

Radu Lykan

Second genestealer done, need to work on my photography skillz, the blue chitin has been washed out to look like black with blue stripes on it :( maybe next time I will get a decent pic

Went for the classic space hulk scheme on this one

Lord Borak

Good stuff mate! He's going to look so awesome getting blasted apart by Banus ;)

The conversion came out really well. I had to check to see if it was the converted one or not!

Cortez

The pics look ok to me. Although I hate Genestealers in general (too many games of Space Hulk :D).