Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

An Obliterator Librarian... and some other questions.

Started by monkhmer, October 08, 2009, 01:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkhmer

Quite some time ago I tried to write up a Chaos Librarian who had succumbed to the Obliterator virus.  For sheer overkill I also had him in Terminator Armour before the disease progressed.  I don't have the sheets in front of me at the moment but if I remember correctly he was pretty devastating.  Perhaps an understatement, eh?   ;D

Anyway, what sorts of uberpowerful characters have you created and what function do they eventually serve in your campaign?

I'm really intrigued by my Chaos Space Marines codex right now and want to begin converting Raptors as well.  I've got the Raptor Aspiring Champion model (standard 40k size of course).  Are there any point conversion guidelines on the board here?

Finally the scale difference between standard 40k and Inquisitor, it's a 1:2 ratio correct?  So, if I only have standard 40k models presently then I can just halve movement, ranges, etc.?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: monkhmer on October 08, 2009, 01:11:38 AMAnyway, what sorts of uberpowerful characters have you created and what function do they eventually serve in your campaign?
Uber-powerful, none. A character may be powerful, but they should never be unassailably powerful.
I've got a Space Marine around (mostly for GMing) who is powerful like all Marines are - but as a Marine goes, he's pretty average, nothing to really set him out from another. But, this is the important thing - He can be beaten.

Personally, I can't see much point in a character as powerful as you've created. Toughness into treble digits, Regenerate and 21 + 3D6 armour? (assuming he had fully succumbed...)

Heck, even the most horrific weapons I know of in Inquisitor would tremble at having to deal with that. The most powerful weapon I know of "in circulation" would have to work hard to do more than one level of injury a shot.

QuoteAre there any point conversion guidelines on the board here?
No, and there never should be. Inquisitor profiles are not scaled, converted or fudged from 40k profiles. If you need help, then ask - but there are no written guidelines on converting from 40k. Using them would be taking Inq in completely the wrong way.

QuoteFinally the scale difference between standard 40k and Inquisitor, it's a 1:2 ratio correct?  So, if I only have standard 40k models presently then I can just halve movement, ranges, etc?
Yes. Most people who play Inq28 either use 1/2" for each "yard", or 1 cm for each "yard". Either is fine.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Serge

Emelie.

Well, she's neither finished nor have I written rules for her. But still.
One day when I have the time and materials (might be soon), she'll be finished.  Few things would stand a chance while fighting fair.

21+3d6 armour? Regeneration? Obliterator? Don't expect it to last long against Emelie.

I also tried to make an chaos ogryn with a Greater daemon possesed sword (with all those extra damage stuff, + corruptor, making it capable of auto-killing almost everyone with one hit.) and a Dark eldar wych archite to test against Orfei. Neither had a chance against Orfei. (The Ogryn was to slow. The archite however, well, Orfei pulled a pin from a grenade hanging on his chest and charged. After a few actions, he moved up close, and boom goes the grenade, knocking her of her feet (Orfei is undamaged), giving him a chance to kill her).

And the raptor; Make it a Marine with higher I, WS and BS. Also, add a jump pack (Rules in the marine chat article).
Nothing endorses anything that has something to do with me.

Dosdamt

I have a 54mm fully converted Solitaire (<3 Robey) and a 54mm Pre-Heresy Marine (<3 Robey), so yes, I have some very powerful NPC characters.

I also have the models, at the correct scale.

I own you. :P

-Ben
It is never too late! - Mentirius

http://thementalmarine.proboards.com/index.cgi <- The Mind, for all your irreverent nonsense needs

monkhmer

It seems like an Obliterator Librarian should be able to autokill a scrub human... right?  What's the average Toughness of  Joeschmo Imperial citizen?  I found the OL's character sheet and it has a Strength of 297.  So with Lightning Claws that's at least 25 Strength bonus + 2D10+5... so minimum of 32 points in one swipe.  That should kill an average unarmoured citizen right? 

I'm just trying to get a feel for the scale of the game compared to the fluff.

Not really.   ;D

I like a powerful game sometimes.

Did I mention my Librarian has Teleportation so he could possibly pull off a critical backstab... ?   :P

A couple other things. 
*Does the Reach of a Large creature increase?  It seems like it should but I don't know my way around the rules so well yet.

*And, I hate the Obliterator models.  They look terrible.  The art in the CSM Codex before the most recent was fantastic.  How could you capture that in a model?

precinctomega

It was great to see the Harlie on the tabletop in the pics from the Autumn Conclave, Ben.  Sadly, your marine never made it into the Golden Demon, as my work on the terrain for that day consumed all of my available time.

Never fear, though.  He remains on my tabletop - temporarily in bits while I bring him up to spec.  You should have him back in time for Christmas.

Personally speaking, this year's Big Bad at Games Day was probably the single most powerful character I've ever designed.  Although we never got to play out the final scenario in full, thanks to the participation games being wound up early, Geryon of Tyre was a high-end character in full armour, with a daemonglaive and a power fist.  However, his real OOT-ness was contained in the fact that he had "lives".  In the previous scenario, the AdMech were attempting to bring his tomb online.  For each system they brough online, Geryon gained one "life".  So in the final scenario, the characters had to kill him, after which he came back to life and they had to kill him again, once for each online system.

As it happened, they only brought one system online but had they managed three or four, Geryon would have been as close to unstoppable as ever a character was.

Dosdamt

That abomination would kill almost anything in one hit.

If you put that on the table, I would give you a very serious and harshly worded dressing down about the spirit of the game.

A Chaos Space Marine-Librarian-Terminator-Obliterator?

Have a word with yourself.

-Ben

http://thementalmarine.proboards.com/index.cgi <- The Mind, for all your irreverent nonsense needs

Ynek

Typically speaking, I tend not to try to make POWERFUL characters, as I find little enjoyment in that. Instead, I prefer to focus on creating COOL characters, as this makes for a far better narrative and background to the games that the character will feature in.

I do own two marines (One techmarine, and one that I intend to turn into either a Malal CSM, or a Legion of the Damned for Thaddeus to chase around, when I get around to sculpting him...) but I seldom use them for anything more than GM narrative tools.

When I GM and people want to use overpowered characters such as a CSM sorceror/terminator/obliterator, I usually come up with some way to offset their power and make the game more fair. For example, the CSM is in the cargo bay of a space ship, and the characters have to find a way to open the airlock and suck him out into the harshness of space, where he would probably be targeted by the ship's weapons and blasted into tiny pieces. Or instead, if the terrain is available, I might fill the game board with ricketty bridges over lava-filled chasms, or have tiny, narrow passages which only human-sized characters can squeeze through.

Although I tend to discourage players from making extremely powerful characters, I'm perfectly willing to incorporate them into a game if I can think of a way to offset their power.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Serge

Tell me more of this Geryon. Would he stand a chance against Emelie from, lets say,  70+ Yards?
Nothing endorses anything that has something to do with me.

Morcus

I used to use a Vampire as an NPC bad guy, I don't know what I did with the rules but he was powerful and pretty much impervious, I think he was killed eventually by a grenade.

A powerful NPC played well can be a good thing, just as long as he doesn't murder all the players like a psycho.

Dosdamt

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Serge on October 08, 2009, 03:32:03 PMTell me more of this Geryon. Would he stand a chance against Emelie from, lets say,  70+ Yards?
How should he know? You've given precisely no detail on her besides "Could kill a Chaos Space Marine-Librarian-Terminator-Obliterator very quickly"... which in my opinion, makes the character blatantly stupid. If it can kill something as ridiculously powerful as that with any certainty and speed, it must be even more completely out of the sense of the game.

I get the idea you're almost bragging about the character's power, and that can only mean you've got the wrong end of the stick.
A powerful character is nothing to brag about, because I could go now and write a character who has 200 for every stat, and 20 different skills. Creating a powerful character is nothing to be proud of - it's not hard, and it's not clever.

Creating a character who is formidable (and whose formability is justified) is one thing, provided they're used the right way.
For example, I wouldn't recommend that most characters tried to take on Frost (from my collection) casually, but while she's a challenge, she is not unstoppable - at least partly because of the way she's played, and when she is used.

I suggest that both of you (Serge & monkhmer) seriously look at the way you're playing the game.

Quote from: monkhmer on October 08, 2009, 01:55:55 PM... so minimum of 32 points in one swipe.  That should kill an average unarmoured citizen right?
Aside from the fact that Strength bonus is only applied for each FULL 10 points over 50 (so S 297 is only +24), that wouldn't autokill an average citizen.

A typical citizen has a T of 40 to 50, which means they'd get knocked unconscious, but not killed (obviously excluding decapitation and prolonged damage through bleeding).

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Carados

I'll bring my hive fleet then gents??  ;D.

Although I do have a (incomplete) GK and a CSM they aren't really there to game with except in exceptional circumstances.

Hence, my most powerful character is likely to be my alien leader which is essentially the 40k hive tyrant model (another favourite of mine).  Yet, as a high ranking member of his species he isn't going to risk getting shot at even if he does technically outclass most other characters.  Its very important that you use characters as they would actually act if all this was real.

Kaled

Quote from: Dosdamt on October 08, 2009, 04:14:19 PM
Uhmmm.... What is Emelie??
If I remember correctly, Serge's built-but-unpainted 54mm Baneblade (which I'd love to see finished) although I'd say that my Valkyrie would make short work of something as slow and lumbering as a Baneblade if I hung some nice big weapons from the underwing pylons!  ;)

I've got some very powerful characters in my collection - a Necron Pariah, Enslavers, Adeptus Custodes - but so far the only ones of those that I've used in a game are the Enslavers, who helped me to success at last years tournament.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Adlan

The whole point of Inquisitor falls apart when you have people start to powergame. Thats when you need a GM, to make it fair, and make it fun for everyone. If it's just two of you, a GM isn't essential, if you both trust the other not to powergame.

As for powerful? All my characters are powerful. They have a strong narrative impact on the game and the games style of play, they change my tactics when using them and....

ooops, wrong kind of power. In game terms, all my characters are powerful, in someway or another, some useful trait. But none of them have no weaknesses, it'd be really boring were that the case.

Inquisitor as a Game also falls down with too many stats over 100. System isn't really designed with that in mind.