Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Veteran Sergeant Paulinus

Started by Radu Lykan, December 06, 2016, 02:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radu Lykan

With the possibility of a very real need for a space marine character at some point early next year I have started on my long planned, never started 54mm marine.
While I begin the slow process of reposing the Artemis model I am after some feed back on his gun. I am going with a storm bolter, I know it's a powerful weapon but if I am bringing a marine then the power level of the game has already been dialled up to 11, something powerful enough to warrant the inclusion of a marine in a game probably isn't too fussed on the difference between a bolter and a storm bolter anyway.

This doesn't look too bad imo but I am going to have to remove the pintle mounting which might take some tidying up afterwards, to save time and (possibly?) add wow factor I am considering adding additional ammo drums.

This adds to the bulky brutality of the weapon which is something I like and am reminded of molotovs truescale marine with stormbolter combined with grenade launchers, Segesvar http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/7659464/9/

So what was originally just me playing with spare bits and trying to cover up some potentially uneven surface is beginning to grow on me, does the idea have merit or should I stick with the first version?

MarcoSkoll

I'd argue against the extra ammo drums. It doesn't make mechanical sense, which to me only really gets a pass when Orks and their "it barely works" ramshackle tech is involved. (Although to be absolutely clear, I think the Anzion theorem is tongue-in-cheek).

The pintle mounting probably doesn't need much more than being shaved down and having some kind of magazine release switch added there instead.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Radu Lykan

Various face book groups agree, I wasn't really thinking mechanically, just rule of cool but apparently 2 drums looks better as well as making more sense :)

Lord Borak

Aye, the extra drum feeds looked a bit odd. Nice to see some WIP though. What colour scheme are you going for?? Also, what is that left hand going to be holding when it's done?

Radu Lykan

To avoid using my brain I am going with a deathwatch marine, I don't have to think too much about fluff reasons for him to be accompanying an inquisitor. To answer your question, that means he will have black armour lol
Do you mean the hand holding the skully bit? That's part of an inquisitor I started ages ago but obviously when I decided to work on the marine I actually spent most of the time working on inquisitor thorn's daemonic staff :)

KaptiDavy

Same project over here, but I used two sponson heavy bolters from the predator kit, and combined them with the plastic Ogryn gun magazines... is this drum from the dreadknight kit?
I tried that once to build the bolter of the librarian-looking guy on rulebook pg 68. (it didn't turn out very well)

Lord Borak

That storm bolter looks the shizz Davy. Idea stolen.

Radu. Do that.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Radu Lykan on December 07, 2016, 11:24:17 AM
To avoid using my brain I am going with a deathwatch marine, I don't have to think too much about fluff reasons for him to be accompanying an inquisitor.

he need not be part of a retinue, someone wrote an article on it ;) marines each deserve their own story, being massive lumps of pewter!
any ideas on pose? i always spend loads of time on the legs but Borak did a great running-posed bolter guy recently!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

'Recently'. I finished him in February :o Although I suppose 'this year' is quite recently when it comes to me :D

The pose on marines is always tricky I think. When they're running It usually hides the fact that his thighs are just a little too thin and the legs to far apart. I'd love to see just a 'walking' pose on a marine though. Just calmly striding through hell because he's that cool. Usually you just see the 'running' or the 'standing on something' pose.

TallulahBelle

Part of me really wants a marine to do something cool with but my more practical side says i should spend energy and time on models i will actually use in play or... As more than a gm modstick or showpiece. Really impressed with that ogryn bits use as a storm bolter may steal that for use for a couple of weapons I have on the workbench!

Radu Lykan

Greenstuffgav- oh there will be backstory but I won't have to shoe horn him into things as much

Quote from: Lord Borak on December 07, 2016, 11:16:59 PM
That storm bolter looks the shizz Davy. Idea stolen.

Radu. Do that.

I agree :)

After seeing kaptidavy's version and somebody's suggestion my own effort was more of a combi bolter I decided to keep the combi bolter for a potential chaos marine and shamelessly steal kaptidavy's idea.

With the combi bolter for comparison

Just need to work out some sort of targeter to add some detail to the top now

Lord Borak

Looking awesome mate. Targeter? Lol, "here, just let me aim a bit...... there......BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM".

Radu Lykan

Just for the looks, I don't really want to increase the chances of somebody's (even my own?) character getting hit by multiple bolt shells lol

greenstuff_gav

i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

KaptiDavy

I'm eagerly waiting the scope - just to see if I have that in my bitzbox ;D