Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Eisenhorn the Younger commission request.

Started by realitybytes16, January 11, 2017, 10:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realitybytes16

I've been here five years now, it's about time I started my first topic...I hope I'm posting this in the right place, given the subject.

Ever since first reading the Eisenhorn novels, I've been wanting to get my hands on a version of the fellow that resembles his younger self - I do love the current model, but I like the idea of being able to play games set during the events of the trilogy, or even games that alter those events in some way. The standard Eisenhorn model is (as most will probably know) what he looks like long after those events, but what I'd be after is one that appears as he does on the front cover of the Eisenhorn Omnibus, but with the longer, unbroken Barbarisater in one hand and either of his signature handguns in the other (the Scipio naval pistol in the aforementioned image, or the bolt pistol made of green-chased steel that has its magazine housing within the handgrip).

I don't have the time (thanks to university) or the talent to turn back the clock on one of my spare Eisenhorn models, as it would take a lot of sawing and sculpting and I'm not nearly good enough at the latter to realise this little wish of mine. Is there any chance there's a 'Claver out there that I could commission such a thing from?

I would provide the base model since I believe I have more than one spare, but if there's anyone who's willing I'd really appreciate a quote ^^.

greenstuff_gav

like this?

i'd need to dig out an eisenhorn to lookit the details myself; wouldn't be too much methunks
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

I have been known to take commissions.

A quote would depend on exactly what you want done, and how exhaustively. I tend to base my quotes on an estimated number of hours, at about £10 per hour (which I feel is a pretty reasonable rate for a sculptor of my skill level).
Basic reposing, adjustment and light scratch-build work would only take a few hours, but if you're also looking for things like a completely new head (which would probably create a better look than trying to botox the old one) or a full paintjob, that is obviously somewhat more time consuming.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

realitybytes16

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on January 11, 2017, 10:58:45 PM
like this?

i'd need to dig out an eisenhorn to lookit the details myself; wouldn't be too much methunks

That's the one :).

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 11, 2017, 11:00:54 PM
I have been known to take commissions.

A quote would depend on exactly what you want done, and how exhaustively. I tend to base my quotes on an estimated number of hours, at about £10 per hour (which I feel is a pretty reasonable rate for a sculptor of my skill level).
Basic reposing, adjustment and light scratch-build work would only take a few hours, but if you're also looking for things like a completely new head (which would probably create a better look than trying to botox the old one) or a full paintjob, that is obviously somewhat more time consuming.

The paint job I'd handle myself, it's the sculpting that's the thing - I'm simply incapable of it. That does sound like a reasonable quote to me - I'll just have to ensure I have the funds which shouldn't be a problem for the foreseeable future barring catastrophe, as I'm owed some money along with an inheritance of sorts towards the end of the month.
Regarding details of what I'm looking for, no reposing would be necessary. I rather like the one he has, and I'm not looking to exactly replicate that image - just the appearance, not the pose (or the weapons - I'd be happy with the bolt pistol I mentioned, and I'm not even sure what the thing in his other hand is actually supposed to be  :-\).
I'm not too fussed about an entirely new head, as I'm currently painting Eisenhorn the elder, and even with some greys added to make him seem more worn and weary, his face still looks fairly vital to me. I'll defer to the sculptor on whether a new head would be necessary though.
More than anything is a matter of getting rid of all the elements of 'old' Eisenhorn like the calipers, machinery and short sword, and replacing them with resculpted details a la Gav's image, i.e. the legs (caliper-less), the sensor on the shoulder (gone!), the machinery on the back (also gone!), and Barbarisater restored to its full 'metre and a half long' glory (with either the aforementioned pistol or a different scabbard in the other hand). I believe that's everything, although I'm not sure whether he'd have the scrolls from the model on his back at the time of that picture - my gut tells me it's something particular to 'old' Eisenhorn, although I might have to check that.

With all that in mind, can either of you hazard an estimate as to how much it'd cost? Am I right in thinking you're also up for giving it a go, Gav?

Thank you both for taking the time to consider it :).

mcjomar

If you're wanting him at the start then he'd only have the scrolls in book two. Same for the staff. And barbarisater also only was used mid book two.

Also inheritance wise if its big enough save it all for a house deposit. Seriously. The housing market sucks.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Lord Borak

Someone has already had a go at this.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/290038-inquisitor-54mm-rpg/

I don't think it ever got finished, or at least the guy never posted complete pictures. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of work needed.

mcjomar

Mostly filing, clipping, a little gap filling with GS, etc.
It's just a question of which point in the books exactly to choose to make the model.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

realitybytes16

Mid book two sounds about right, I know the staff was from around then. The scrolls can stay too.

That's true about the housing market, although truth be told my girlfriend and I have already placed a deposit on a flat for next year (I had half said inheritance late last year, should be getting the other half this month or next month) and I'll ahve money besides that, so it's not a problem :).

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: realitybytes16 on January 12, 2017, 01:09:41 AMWith all that in mind, can either of you hazard an estimate as to how much it'd cost?
It sounds like about 6-8 hours of work to do properly.

> 2 hours to either modify the existing head (which will need the brace removed, plenty of botox and some hair) or sculpt a new one.
> 2 hours to build the weapons (possibly a little more if any sketching work is needed for the pistol - I don't think the pistol on the front cover is either of the ones you mentioned) and any necessary hand resculpting.
> 1 hour to remove the calipers from the legs (and rebuild the trousers).
> 1 hour for assorted tasks like removing the unwanted sensors/machinery around the shoulders.

Adding things like the chained Malus Codicium on his belt would be another couple of hours (at least if you want the book to have some texturing to it, as it seems to in the image. A more non-descript tome would take a bit less time).

As such, I'd quote about £60-80. I know that's not exactly staggeringly cheap, but I feel it's as little as I can reasonably charge.
(I feel it's fairly dishonest for non-professional artists to take commissions at pathetically cheap rates, because for everyone who does that kind of thing, it makes it harder for others to make a genuine profession out of it).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

realitybytes16

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 12, 2017, 01:28:07 PM
Quote from: realitybytes16 on January 12, 2017, 01:09:41 AMWith all that in mind, can either of you hazard an estimate as to how much it'd cost?
It sounds like about 6-8 hours of work to do properly.

> 2 hours to either modify the existing head (which will need the brace removed, plenty of botox and some hair) or sculpt a new one.
> 2 hours to build the weapons (possibly a little more if any sketching work is needed for the pistol - I don't think the pistol on the front cover is either of the ones you mentioned) and any necessary hand resculpting.
> 1 hour to remove the calipers from the legs (and rebuild the trousers).
> 1 hour for assorted tasks like removing the unwanted sensors/machinery around the shoulders.

Adding things like the chained Malus Codicium on his belt would be another couple of hours (at least if you want the book to have some texturing to it, as it seems to in the image. A more non-descript tome would take a bit less time).

As such, I'd quote about £60-80. I know that's not exactly staggeringly cheap, but I feel it's as little as I can reasonably charge.
(I feel it's fairly dishonest for non-professional artists to take commissions at pathetically cheap rates, because for everyone who does that kind of thing, it makes it harder for others to make a genuine profession out of it).

Honestly that sounds like an entirely fair price for the level of time and effort that it would take, and I imagine if I had a cheaper option it would probably be a case of 'You Get What You Pay For.' I'd actually forgotten about the Malus Codicium, but that doesn't alter my mind at all. Rebuilding the legs would take me considerably more than 1 hour, but I suppose that's because I'm a crap sculptor and a bit of a perfectionist, which isn't a great combination.
I think you're right about the pistol not being either of his signature weapons. I do actually have a pistol hand from the hands bitz pack if that would shave down the time re-sculpting the hands, although I don't entirely recall which hand it actually was, left or right.

But yeah, I can honestly say I'd be willing to pay that for what I'm asking for. I'd rather spend the money than lose so much more than 6-8 hours of my life working on something that I'll probably never see as good enough :D.