Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The black project

Started by mcjomar, January 09, 2017, 09:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

So for my first ever artemis repose (into something else) I got a cheap pre-painted marine model off ebay.
At least it gets most of the primer sorted for me.
I've got a lot of gap filling to do though, and I gotta resculpt the backs of the knees, and a few bits on the hip joints.
And that left boot.
Otherwise I'm mostly happy with the stance.
It is a little leaned back than I'd like, but I don't have confidence with messing with the ankles on these marines, so I'll just work with it as is - perhaps my next two I'll completely take off the kneepads as well when I do this.

However a slightly crouched/braced stance is what I'm going for here anyway, and I've got some GS work planned which should cover my worst offences, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.
Pics:

"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Lord Borak

Looking good and I'm looking forward to see what you do with him.

On Banus, I ended up having to increase the length of the thigh armour to make it look 'normal'. Otherwise there's just just too much 'soft' armour.

mcjomar

Yeah, that's my impression as well looking at the knee joint. I'm going to have to extend it down a little to get the proper proportions done before I do the springy flexi-join stuff.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

mcjomar

So this is my progress today.
I'd like to think I've got reasonably smooth armour for my first go.
I'm a little less happy with the soft bits, but again first time, and I'm thinking it'll get covered by a robe, cape, or some other such thing.

Lord Borak

Looking good! The soft armour looks good from what I can tell. The GS armour looks fine, if it's a little rough go over it gently with a file to smooth it done. It might be the angle of the photo but the thigh armour might be a little too long (just the right leg, the left looks fine)

mcjomar

Yeah, I think it might be just a teeny bit longer than I thought, but I was wary of cutting off too much.
Still, like I said, robes or cape.

mcjomar

Here's the current stage.
I've bashed him a bolt pistol, and fixed up his shoulder pads and arms. Still gotta sort out his other weapon, and give him a backpack upgrade.
I've decided on robes, so I'm using this tutorial as a guide:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/103-converting-modelling-green-stuff/2543-greenstuff-full-robes-space-marines.html

But I've got some airtight baggies which I might use instead to help get the thickness and shaping correct around the model, rather than the oil and rolling pin method, as I previously used it for leather straps and it came out okay for that.
I've been debating whether or not to use some paperclips as a guide for that technique also, but it might lead to way too much drilling on the model, so I've decided against that for now.

TheClassyGamer

This is a very interesting project to me.  Someday I hope to do some reposing on some of my guys like that.  So far it is turning out pretty cool and I look forward to how this finishes.

Lord Borak

Looking promising.

Some dashing bearded rogue did a tutorial on robes on another Forum. http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/completed-tutorials/225250-green-stuff-robes.html

mcjomar

Here's some more progress on the mini.

And at this point it's obvious what he is, so here's some more:

I'm not entirely wild about the ribcage, or my GS skulls, so I may go back and repair that stuff.
I need to LGS his left arm to cover the gauntlet and elbow.
I need to billow out the robes and smooth them down (and also gapfill his shoulder joints).
I need to finish off his holsters.
I need to GS the chains.
And I need to finish up the backpack.
Also, his hair, followed by his hood.

I'm in two minds about the plasma pistol based on mini vs concept art - do I go with the current one, or do I try to kitbash using tau flamers as a base combined with the front end of a spare plasma cannon from the leman russ tank? Or do I create another using a heresy plasma gun/cannon as a base?

these two throw me off, because apparently they're official artwork? But the model has a more heresy era pistol?

Lord Borak

NICE!!

What are you going to use for the sword? Also, what on earth are those Green stuff rectangular things?

mcjomar

The rectangles things are wrapped chunks of resin sprue for use as holsters.

As for the sword i don't know. But it has to be as tall as he is.
Part of me is foolishly tempted to try and sculpt it. But part of me is thinking of wrapping gs around a sprue and then sculpting around that.

Radu Lykan

I found using a basic rectangle cut out of 3mm plasticard worked as the basis of a sword, once you have a size you are happy with file the edges to a point. No green stuff needed :)
That was for a regular 54mm dude though, maybe use 4mm or even 5 for a marine?

mcjomar

I've gone with 3mm.
Three sheets of A5. Hopefully I can use that to build up most of the bulk, and then attack the rest with GS.
I've also ordered some more Kontraros skulls (those things are brilliant!).
This will be my first time working with plasticard.
In fairness it's the first time I've ever reposed a marine, or done sculpting on this scale with GS too.
It's quite the education.

mcjomar

Okay, so this is only a couple hours of fooling around (while watching Sword Art Online for the second time - dubbed this time), but I discovered that a pedicure foot thingy that is basically a rotary sander for your heels is still a rotary sander, and therefore fantastic for speeding up the sanding on 3mm plasticard.

The basic outline of the sword is mostly done. The rest can be done with GS. I used some offcuts of plasticard to do the backpack wings, again this will be tidied up with GS.
Michael Kontraros skulls arrived so I've decorated the bolt pistol with new skulls, and also done the backpack, as you can see. Oh and obviously used them for the first bit of decoration on the sword (I actually assume that's really the scabbard for the sword on the 28mm model?), with the rest I'll have to do again with GS.

I still need to redo the skull on the knee, and then fix the ribcage on the chest armour.
I'm reasonably comfortable with the backpack ribcage for now - I can always revisit it later if I need to.
Another offcut was used to make a start on some more of the plasma pistol, so that's now in progress for a more model-accurate plasma pistol.
I guess I can use my other plasma pistols for other space marine conversions down the line.