Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The black project

Started by mcjomar, January 09, 2017, 09:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Borak

Progress is looking good. I've seen some people use a Plasma Cannon as a Plasma Pistol so maybe give that a look into. It would save you an awful lot of work if they scale well as pistols. I think I have a couple of Plasma Cannon sponsons off a Russ sitting in a box somewhere. Maybe even a Marine one to.

mcjomar

I've actually got a couple for that reason. But I'm doing this one to see if I can get as close to a 1-1 of the 28mm as I can.
But the alternatives are there if I change my mind
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Van Helser

The reposing work is top notch.  It's a hard slog to cut up Artemis, but it's really satisfying.  Your greenstuff work is coming on leaps and bounds too.  After a few goes, I am sure that the chest piece will look the part.

Ruaridh

mcjomar

Now this could easily be one of the best internet photoshop trolls I have ever seen.
Very, very easily.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/5rte5u/received_white_dwarf_march_2017_today/
However, this was included:

Take a look at the bottom left of the image on that page.
It looks like all my efforts to represent the current model plasma pistol are a wee bit pointless maybe.
I'll carry on anyway, and get it done, but I may make it removable so I can switch out for another marine scale plasma pistol also.

E: Alternatively...
New Project!
My second cypher, after I complete this first one, will be modelled after the new cypher model!!!!!  ::) ;D
Eh, instead of denying the insanity, I may as well just embrace it, and become one with the greenstuff.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

mcjomar

Here is a close up on the most recent Cypher model:

There is much about this model which makes me sadface.

First, he is looking ~through~ the ridiculous shoulder pad (why is that even there).

His pistols are somehow worse than the previous ones due to a) why did they decide his bolt pistol doesn't need a magazine, even though other 30k bolt pistols have them, and b) why does his new plasma pistol require coils that are even ~more~ exposed than 40k ones, even though some tech in 30k was actually better (such as plasma, this is in lore, I'm very sure about this, have they retconned this?).

And what about that cross draw? Can he even physically reach across around the chest plate of his armour? For both guns? Really?
("nnngg, nnng, can't... quite... reach it...")

Why does he suddenly have a special backpack so he can carry the now comically oversized sword (primarchs being that big is only a recent thing, previously they were only like an extra foot taller than the average marine)? His previous backpack and sword carrying style was just fine, thanks.

As to the armour, what, he couldn't have been scavenging from the dead corpses of brother space marines and repainting the armour? (HERESY!).

It's a pity, because if these details were corrected somehow, the general pose and updated cloak on the model alone still make it bend around to be good, so solving those details would make it fantastic instead. The loss of the long hair is also wierd, not to mentioned have the skulls now be embedded instead of embossed. But yeah, so much for a good model.

Also, side note. The hard plastic model of the primarch of my favourite chapter has a head that looks like Joffrey out of Game of Thrones.

In comparison, have a truly beautiful model of the 30k version, with the helmeted head:

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on February 06, 2017, 11:13:30 AMprimarchs being that big is only a recent thing, previously they were only like an extra foot taller than the average marine
Yeah, I have something of an issue with all the size creep.

It's sort of reasonable that Space Marines might be about 7 feet tall, as being bigger will make them more physically powerful, but that's not so much larger than humans that they'd be unable to fight in spaces sized for mortal men.
And primarchs... if they really need to be, yes, I can just about buy them being a head taller than a normal marine. But that's really on the limits of what I perceive as reasonable.

I know for a lot of people 40k architecture is is typified by its grand nature, and they might think that a 10+ foot tall primarch could easily walk beneath the massive ceilings of an Administratum building or royal palace.
But for me it's about the stark contrast between those vast buildings and the squalid rat warrens of an underhive slum.

One of my favourite mental images of 40k is a battle for a corrupt governor's palace - while tunnel-fighting regiments are clearing the governor's personal guard out of the labyrinthine service passages,  a pair of Warhound Titans march through the main corridors in a battle with tank units, incinerating millennia old portraits with stray shots and shattering polished marble floors.

A primarch who's too big to fit into a tight tunnel is a lot less use as a soldier - plus, a lot of their power is psychic in nature anyway, so their physical size isn't that relevant.

That said, the size of Guilliman's model means it just might make for 54mm power armour with a little modification...
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Agreed.
I'm considering keeping the model as-is if I get just one though, as I suppose the background explanation will be something to the tune of him having been brought back dreadnought style, with him being more machine now than man.
But, y'know, at an obviously higher level of quality because primarch. Also apparently Ynnead-related shenanigans, and "Aeldari".

mcjomar

Okay, so progress!

I just need to add rivets to things, attach the plasma pistol, attach holsters and backpack, and get to work on that sword some more.

Lord Borak

Coming along really nicely mate, The Holsters look much better, especially the Plasma pistol holster. The Skeleton on the back pack is great as well.

Are you going to go for a Black or Green colour scheme?

mcjomar

I'm going to go for black, but have the edges of the armour highlighted in green.
I figure that Cypher probably was one of the loyalists, but over the years the green applied over the top of the black has worn away, and if it needed repainting, he just repainted it in the original legion colours.

mcjomar

Progress report.

Just need to make sure it's all as smoothed as my current skills can handle and I'll attach the holsters and backpack.
Then i need to do the chain for the sword and do the sword itself and I'll be done.

Lord Borak

Wow, this is looking epic mate.

A few questions, the chain on his belt with the skull on. Is this finished? The Holsters as well, are these finished? They look like they could do with filing down so they look straighter and the corners more profound.

KaptiDavy

Lookin' krayzeee!

Is that the base of scibor's witch hunter???? I picked it up a week ago, so I'm very curious to see what others have done with it

mcjomar

I'm honestly not very good with chain so I'm tempted to leave that as-is as I'm concerned I'll ruin it if i try to fix or improve it. As to the holsters yes they're a work in progress still and I'm  intent on trying to square it off before hanging them off the chains on his hips.

The base is the scibor sniper guy. But good eyes. I've got the dwarf guy base (the miner with pickaxe) and the hunter guy's base (that big statue head thing).

mcjomar

A few updates. Chain on the rear to hang sword from is done.
Sword now has pointy bits on crossbar.
I've smoothed the holsters a bit and tried to sharpen the edges. The pedi machine did a reasonable job. Faster than trying to use a file.