Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Rebuilding a collection

Started by goodshipalbion, January 20, 2017, 09:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realitybytes16

Looking good mate :)

Quick question - I picked up some Tehnolog minis based on your recommendation, but I have to admit I'm finding the soft plastic a little tricky to work with. Do you have any little secrets like ideal tools or anything to suggest when working with the material (I ask because your own minis seem to be turning out so well ^^).

goodshipalbion

Quote from: realitybytes16 on February 25, 2017, 04:03:37 PM
Looking good mate :)

Quick question - I picked up some Tehnolog minis based on your recommendation, but I have to admit I'm finding the soft plastic a little tricky to work with. Do you have any little secrets like ideal tools or anything to suggest when working with the material (I ask because your own minis seem to be turning out so well ^^).

Aye it's tricky stuff but behaves slot like resin plastic (restic) so main things that help are use a sharp strong blade like a snap off or true Stanley knife and slice off mold lines or detail....No scraping as it roughs up and causes burr.  Off you do end up with some fuzzy bits then a brass wire brush is good for getting them off.  Other than that you'll have to pin most plastic or metal bits on as difficult to get a perfectly flat mating surface.  I'd also recommend a good super glue or at least one that's freshly opened (cheap 8 packs of small tubes from poundland are good for this)

realitybytes16

Quote from: goodshipalbion on February 25, 2017, 07:25:20 PM
Aye it's tricky stuff but behaves slot like resin plastic (restic) so main things that help are use a sharp strong blade like a snap off or true Stanley knife and slice off mold lines or detail....No scraping as it roughs up and causes burr.  Off you do end up with some fuzzy bits then a brass wire brush is good for getting them off.  Other than that you'll have to pin most plastic or metal bits on as difficult to get a perfectly flat mating surface.  I'd also recommend a good super glue or at least one that's freshly opened (cheap 8 packs of small tubes from poundland are good for this)

Thanks dude, I've been experiencing a lot of this 'burr' by trying to get rid of the mould lines... so you mean turn the blade on it's side and literally cut the lines away?

goodshipalbion

Quote from: realitybytes16 on February 26, 2017, 11:39:15 PM
Quote from: goodshipalbion on February 25, 2017, 07:25:20 PM

Thanks dude, I've been experiencing a lot of this 'burr' by trying to get rid of the mould lines... so you mean turn the blade on it's side and literally cut the lines away?

Exactly, sharp blade and steady hand and slide the blade along with a slight slicing action

goodshipalbion

Got hold of a Josef body, used the daemon head from the daemon Huntress and some spawn arms for a chaos mutant / nurgle daemonhost:

goodshipalbion

Bought some 54mm plastic astronauts going to convert them to look like the new genestealer cultists...Here's the first one with bald head and slicks pistol:

goodshipalbion

Hopefully have some more pics up this weekend not been much progress lately due to the poor sleeping habits of my young daughter.  I've managed to undercoat and shade the bulk of the minis so might even get some paint on soon :)

I've been working on some adeptus scions using guard legs and tehnolog Scythian bodies bit of putty work to do but should have a pic soon.

Also received the new plastic guilliman and can comfirm he is far too small to use as a 54mm space marine but is useful for human scale power armour so as some Tyrus parts turned up the next day I'm kit bashing them to produce a PA inquisitor and a PA bounty hunter type.

Also on the table ATM are some tehnolog elves getting the eldar treatment, tehnolog cyborgs and skeletons getting a necron restyle and more of the plastic astronauts becoming genestealer cultists.

Day off on Friday so hopefully get some finished and get some photos taken

Heroka Vendile

It's a very nice collection you're building up here for sure
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy