Author Topic: Conclave Domain Registration  (Read 41 times)

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Time for some thrilling heroics.
Conclave Domain Registration
« on: February 22, 2020, 01:17:15 AM »
You may have noticed that the forum was down between approximately 2200 GMT Tuesday 18th February and 2000 GMT Friday 21st February.

This was due to the-conclave.co.uk domain registration expiring - the details for this managed to get missed in the handover of the site a couple of years ago, so no notifications were reaching me about the imminent expiration. Ultimately, it turned out the keys to this were actually still in the hands of Xaras, our admin before last, so it took a bit of time to sort out. However, we've now resolved the problem, and thanks to Xaras's generosity, the domain name is safe for the next decade.

It's possible it may take some time for all of you to see this, and there may be some lingering drop-outs, as DNS updates can take around a day to fully propagate, but these should fully resolve themselves over the weekend.

In case any one is worried - there has been no data loss from the forum; this wasn't an issue with the servers.
(But those have been recently backed up, in any case).

With apologies for the downtime,

Marco.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:21:36 AM by MarcoSkoll »
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Offline Inquisitor_Snarf

• Initiate
Re: Conclave Domain Registration
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 02:07:28 PM »
Thanks for the diligence!

BTW, is there a way to support the server costs (PayPal, crypto, etc)? I have never seen reference to that anywhere.

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Time for some thrilling heroics.
Re: Conclave Domain Registration
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 04:36:15 AM »
We don't currently have any donation system in place, although if people have a burning desire to, then I can look at whether it's practical to put one in.

As it is, the Conclave's costs aren't actually particularly big - we're a mostly text forum, so we don't exactly use a lot of data or storage. (The bigger cost is the Dark Magenta hosting that I'm doing almost nothing with; I need to at least pull the old style from Archive.org or something and get that site at least looking vaguely online, even if very "early 2000s internet").

As another minor site update note that doesn't deserve its own thread, I've also updated the Conclave's "Thrice Barred C" favicon to the updated version that's been used on the Carthax Wiki. The version that we'd been using was my earliest stab at the idea (I'm not exactly a graphic designer, although I feel it actually works reasonably well), and the newer version is somewhat better.

(You may need to do a Ctrl+F5 refresh for the newer version to show up. And should anyone wants/needs to see the old one to remind themselves what it was like either now or at some future point: )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:45:21 AM by MarcoSkoll »
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles