Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

2017 Events

Started by MarcoSkoll, February 28, 2017, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Although we've got an active thread for Golden Aegis, I figured we should probably have a general one too for discussing other possible events.

1) I can guess we may want an IGT sometime this year, although deciding the who and when of that is something to discuss.

2) I still hope to run a more comprehensive IRE play-test day, probably at Dark Sphere in London.
Although this was supposed to happen last year, IRE took longer than expected, but it is now actually in a state where a proper test day could be held.

3) My "Legacy" event to follow up on the aftermath of The Saint is also still planned, but I'm probably only going to commit to that once Leander is ready.

4) I'd also tentatively like to put forwards the date 28th October in Hemel Hempstead, which is the single remaining one of my local club's quarterly Saturday open days when I'm not already booked for something else.

It's a bit shorter than a WHW day, 10:30 to 5:00, and there's a £5 fee for non-members, but:
> it is a gaming club, with tables and scenery
> it's accessible - 10 minutes drive from either the M25 or M1 (with parking at the venue), and the station has 4 trains an hour to/from London Euston (it is a bit of a walk, but it's actually slightly closer than Nottingham station and WHW, or there are bus/taxi services).
> there's a choice of Chinese, Indian, kebabs, Pizza Hut, KFC, Greggs, Subway and Asda within 5 minutes walk.

So it is actually a fairly solid venue. I don't know how many club members I'll have interested in Inquisitor by then, but getting something on the schedule should help get things going.

EDIT:
5) Not a gaming event, but I'll add a mention of Salute on 22nd April. I should be in attendance, should anyone else want to meet up or talk.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

I've been meaning to start a thread like this myself.

I'm also working on a campaign day event and I'm willing to oversee the GT again if no one else would rather do it.

We could aim for the GT in May/June? The earlier we decide on a date the better for me as I could end up being quite busy in June (Got a holiday to plan with my girlfriend and we were originally thinking June for it).

MarcoSkoll

I'm moderately busy with folk events on Saturdays in May and June, but I might be able to excuse myself from those where there's enough other musicians that they can make do without me. I'll have to check that.

I've also added a mention of Salute to the first post. It's not a gaming event, but I'm cool with meeting up on the day if others want.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Obviously I'll be interested in everything, but nailed down dates will help me to figure out what I can/cannot make.
RE: IGT, As I slowly climb my painting/modelling mountain, I'm not sure what I could do for running a game, or even if I could manage it.
I've got barely any kind of an outline, but while I think I might have the models, I'd still need to paint them, and get them correctly statted up.
It's only the barest hint of an idea though so I'm not convinced it would work.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Lord Valtarium

I'm based on London, and would love to get into this game more, I've not actually played the tabletop in around 5 years. So, going out on a punt here, but consider me interested!

Lord Borak

As long as it's on a weekend I should be fine with a bit of notice. I'd prefer WHW over London though (it's an easier drive even if it's further away!)

greenstuff_gav

i've got he marine campaign almost finished so can run that anytime
WHW is easier but Dark Sphere would allow these non-gw minis more use!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Lord Borak on February 28, 2017, 10:35:07 PMI'd prefer WHW over London though (it's an easier drive even if it's further away!)
Well, naturally different locations are easier/harder for different people, which is part of the logic behind not having every event in exactly the same place.
Generally, I do prefer to have the big events at WHW (partly for show, partly because it is pretty central, partly because it's just obvious) - still, Dark Sphere is a good venue. It's well connected (400m from Lambeth North tube station, and easy walking distance from Waterloo), very reasonably priced and has everything we need.

The thing is Dark Sphere is likely better for an IRE playtest day just because I'll be more coherent (I can set my alarm for 7:00, not 4:00) - probably a good thing when it's about teaching/testing rules I've written! That said, I'd be open to WHW if it would draw enough people out of the woodwork.

As far as Hemel Hempstead as an option - well, it is self-centred, but I don't know if I don't ask.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 01, 2017, 04:05:26 AM
Well, naturally different locations are easier/harder for different people, which is part of the logic behind not having every event in exactly the same place.
this

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 01, 2017, 04:05:26 AM
As far as Hemel Hempstead as an option - well, it is self-centred, but I don't know if I don't ask.
parking is #1, the drive is #2, Dark Sphere has none of either (londons charge-to-drive zone so gotta train it which means a drive to Bath and all day parking see)but it's doable, would need to check Hempstead

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on March 01, 2017, 08:54:54 AMparking is #1, the drive is #2
Well, one thing to be honest about when driving to Hemel Hempstead is that the natural route to the venue from both the M25 and M1 directions will take you through the "Magic Roundabout", which some drivers may find intimidating. Six and a half exits, with multiple lanes of traffic both clockwise and anti-clockwise.

That said, it isn't difficult to avoid if anyone is worried by it.

However, it is a very impressive junction if you can get your head around it - while it looks a lot like one big roundabout that goes both directions, it's really six mini roundabouts connected in close proximity. Despite the fearsome reputation, it has an exceptional safety record and very few traffic issues. (It's easily capable of handling 7,000-8,000 cars per hour. Impressive, for a junction built with limited space more than 40 years ago).
There's some quite cool Youtube drone footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRznoYCJOHg

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

i live quite close to Swindons Magic Roundabout so find 'em a little less daunting :)

like i say, got the Golden Aegis Affair for March and Mahlau (1 Marine per player) almost complete so can run that anytime!

Build Your Imagination

mcjomar

Just a few more rivets and i will be ready also after a spot of paint
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

TheNephew

I'd be tentatively interested in any event easier to get to than WHW, or not requiring me to leave the flat before 05:30.

MarcoSkoll

As it's been proposed to have an event in May/June, my availability on Saturdays in that period (which tend to be the most viable for people):

Almost definitely: 6th & 20th* May, 3rd & 17th June
Maybe: 27th May, 24th June, 1st July
Definitely not: 29th April, 13th May, 10th June.
(EDIT: Updated)

* Easier than normal, actually. I'll be in Rickmansworth on the 20th, right near the tube, so getting to either WHW or Dark Sphere is: half mile walk, hop on the Metropolitan line, change once.

It's not yet clear whether this event would be an IRE playtest or the IGT - I'd suggest that's decided by availability. The IRE day would survive with one table full of players, but the IGT should really have better numbers.

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

I'm not free on the 6th May or the 1st July. I'll also be away at least one week in June, although the date isn't fixed yet so the sooner the Conclave event date is decided the better.