Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Jomar's Space Marine Thread

Started by mcjomar, March 19, 2017, 11:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

Welp, it's a bit of a necro, but this is the specific thread for my work on this topic, so...

"IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!"

*cough*

so, here's a wip.

"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

mcjomar

And here's what it looks like after a night of drying.
I've balanced the bits, rather than putting them together, as I'll now have a bunch of greenstuff work to do.

E: I'm thinking it needs a bipod or tripod. thoughts?

"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

mcjomar

So, now I'm beginning to hurl GS at this thing.

Some nice flash from superglue meeting the putty.

filled in shoulder gaps, and I've begun repairing the damage on the left arm.
The right arm filling is sort of alright, but I'll need to file out the elbow joint so I can add some of the armoured flex to the joint.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on November 21, 2018, 06:02:56 PM
So, now I'm beginning to hurl GS at this thing.
Generally, I would recommend a more controlled application method. :P

If you can, I'd recommend either taking a sharp scalpel to some of the harder edges on the armour, or coming back to the sculpting after it's started to cure to tighten up the edges. Although standard advice would be to use a different putty, GS can take a nice edge if it's handled well. (I tend to take this approach to save the hassle of having to swap between putties. Also, a bit of the "Beware the man who only uses one gun" approach).

Quote from: mcjomar on November 16, 2018, 08:17:44 AME: I'm thinking it needs a bipod or tripod. thoughts?
It is a bit on the OMGWTFBBQ side when it comes to the size. It looked more manageable in the early pictures, but it does look less sensible here.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Quite.

Of course "sensible" and "40k" aren't often words I tend to correlate. ;D
But given the size, I'm increasingly thinking bipod is the correct approach. Probably after I replace the belt buckle (and chunk of cabling) I carved off during a bad idea moment.
My assumption for the size is that it's a long over-repaired assault cannon from damaged terminator armour that the chapter does not have the remaining resources left to repair, thus leaving him carrying it to battle, because damn if he's not going to carry on using his favourite weapon on deployment.

RE: hard edges, I was planning on using my files to try and file the edges flat, if possible, as with a knife, with my hands, I'm quite likely to fumble it.
Sanding feels like the slower but safer option, overall.

As to my use of GS, it's largely because I have a... line?... of 10 year old GS which I'm trying to finish up - it's mostly fine, just the bits in the middle where the blue meets the yellow, but that's true of most GS anyway. And I have an awful lot of GS!  ;D

Heroka Vendile

I think it is too large as-is. The rotary barrel is fine, but I would suggest cutting down the bulk of the gun from behind the right wrist, just loosing that third off the bulk will probably make a big difference in appearance.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

mcjomar

Welp, I've carried on.

The gun is meant to be ridiculous, and bonkers.

I'm thinking of magnetising the tripod, as I'm not entirely sure if it should be attached or not, and a tripod gives me options.

E:Ignore this - I'm having a very bad day all of a sudden.

To elaborate, things were dropped, items were slightly snapped, I'm having a large angry case of the dropsies, with loud shouting and swearing (the air is turning blue), and I'm having a painfully angry (and painful) time fixing everything, as everything is now wobbling, falling off, coming loose, failing to dry, etc, and large chunks of the past day's GS work is getting wrecked.

On the plus side, I managed to magnetise the tripod... >:(

E2:
Well, I've almost recovered my progress...
There are still GreenStuff issues to be repaired around the entire left leg (Hip and Knee), and I've yet to reattach the grenade belt.
But pretty much everything else is back as shown in the above pictures.
I'm frustrated in the extreme by the damage to my progress. I'm now stuck twiddling my thumbs as superglue dries because, for some reason, the drying rate has slowed significantly. All I want to do is sculpt the hip and knee joint, and re-attach this grenade belt.

E3: I took the plunge, as it looked pretty stable.
Everything is back together, as per the above images.
I refuse to touch this mini unless something else goes wrong.
Otherwise, in the near future, I'll just get on and paint it.

mcjomar

Separate posts for separate images.

It looks mostly stable now.
I think it's about ready for painting.

mcjomar

Welp, it's not quite done.
The paint needs further work to create a smooth finish (before I douse it in wash to add shading, and fill in all the gaps and dents and damage).
but this is where I'm at so far.
First time I've done this colour to this degree.

mcjomar

Welp, he's close to done.
I'm not sure where else to go with this without wrecking it.

SwordlordRoy

Looking good

I unfortunately can't look at marines from that chapter and not think of "The all Guardsmen party" and the line "Who wakes up in the morning expecting to see a Space Marine beat a Daemon-Possessed Tyranid Psyker over the head with a Tau drone and a Wraithbone marital aid?"

mcjomar

I read that.
Once.
A long time ago.
I read Old Man Henderson more recently.
Obviously I need to clear my schedule.

realitybytes16

Oversized gun = oversized fun. :)

Excellent paint job too. Remind me of the chapter? I recognise the heraldry but can't place the name ^^'.

SwordlordRoy

Quote from: realitybytes16 on December 06, 2018, 08:08:45 PM
Oversized gun = oversized fun. :)

Excellent paint job too. Remind me of the chapter? I recognise the heraldry but can't place the name ^^'.
I believe that it's the Lamenters Chapter.

mcjomar

Yup, that's Lamenters.
I like the background for them, so I figured I'd like to have at least one in my collection.