Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

modelling query

Started by mcjomar, March 27, 2017, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

Okay, so I'm thinking of modelling this lady.

However, while I've located a suitable torso that I can decorate with GS straps and padding, I'm lacking a suitable head.
Similarly arms, but there's an option for that, albeit an expensive one.

Any suggestions on suitable heads?

I looked at the Aurora miniatures 54mm 1/32 (I think) British female tank officer, and that's close, just needs a hair alteration, but I'm hoping for something better that I can just attach a beret to instead.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

I'm not really much good on finding specific parts - I'm rather DIY when it comes to these things.

If you want the cheeky solution, we are talking about a video game character, so just 3D-printing the head from the game model* would be a theoretical option.

* I've actually already got the game model, as well as several other RE characters. For the CGI image** from the "back cover" of the most recent version of IRE, the Battle Sister's face is actually a modified version of Rebecca Chambers' head.
** There's a medium-res colour version here (prior to Photoshop's "Charcoal" filter), if you're interested.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Nifty.
If I could get this character fully 3d printed, that would solve a lot of my conversion woes - I'm currently using a Black Dog female soldier sculpt as the basis for this - but she's a lefty, while Jill is a righty, so I have arm related issues too.
But yes, a head would be most helpful - I'm largely looking for a reasonably approximate head with similar hair/features/expression.
I should be able to fill in the rest myself.

If I could get it 3d printed though...
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Printing out the character wholesale wouldn't really give it any of the uniqueness that makes Inquisitor characters. (And is more pushing the bounds of legality).

More than that, it's not actually that easy.
Game models are very rarely suitable for 3D printing, and need to be modified - the actual mesh is usually fairly low poly (much of the detail comes from textures and bump mapping*), would need all the gaps between fingers/weapons/etc welded up, etc.

*For example, in the earlier picture, the various Celtic designs on the Sisters armour are "painted on" - the graphics shaders use a special texture to tell it how to shadow them in real time so they look like they have actual depth.

Heads are usually detailed enough that they'd just need some basic welding before they could be exported without too much more ado, but an entire game model could take a lot of work to turn into a decent miniature.
I suppose it's possible if you really want, but that'd be a proper commission job.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Annoyingly enough, the files contained in my REMake folders from steam are protected in such a way that I can't just extract the contents of the ARC files using PEAZip to get at the models.
Quite strange that companies might want to protect their files in such a way  ::)

anyway, I managed to grab the Jill file (and a few more) from an alternative source, so at least I've got that much.
The question now is whether or not I can take the core OBJ file in my copy of max and mudbox (i prefer max to maya, but that's just me) and add the necessary details before sending to somewhere like shapeways.
I would, for example, have an issue with how she's armed, as the core model apparently lacks such things as her handgun.
But if I could either find or create a suitable weapon, that might alleviate the issue. A bog-standard stubber, for instance, would do the job nicely.
On the other hand, perhaps I would be better advised to convert using some of the 28mm imperial guard hands/gear.

TallulahBelle

Have you seen if hero forge the custom model builder site has anything suitible they do approximately a model in the right scale IIRC.