Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Gav Thorpe Here - Ask Me Anything!

Started by Gav Thorpe, May 05, 2017, 04:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gav Thorpe

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 06, 2017, 10:32:44 AM
Quote from: Lord Borak on May 06, 2017, 09:19:17 AMOr are you an impostor?........ I'm not sure. Can we trust you? ((TRUST NO ONE!)).
It's either Gav Thorpe or a very well researched Callidus Assassin; We had a fairly in-depth talk about Inquisitor at Salute, where he mentioned he'd be coming on at some point.

QuoteOr have you just opened your Inquisitor models case and become reminiscent?
That'd be an interesting question - How often do you still play?

I've not played much GW since I left until recently, and no Inquisitor for many years. As mentioned in other answers, I don't even have my models any more. On the other hand, it has got me thinking...

Cheers,

Gav
Gav Thorpe
Writer, Games Designer, Daddy
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gav.thorpe
Twitter:  @GavThorpeCreate ‏

Gav Thorpe

Quote from: mcjomar on May 07, 2017, 08:53:40 AM
Wow, this is pretty cool and impressive.
Massive thanks for your work on Inquisitor in the first place, and for taking the time to join these boards  :).

I think some of the questions I might have had have already been covered (though I would also posit Cortez's question in regards if you were involved in a hypothetical new edition also).

I would also end up wrapping in the details from Marco's question in regards a more basic "Is there anything from modern RPG/wargaming sensibilities that you would bring in to add to/replace existing Inquisitor mechanics, and if so what, and why?".  Possibly by extending it with "if you were to alter the game, would you try to swing the needle more towards the RPG end of the spectrum, to ensure it remains different from things like Kill Team 4th edition, Necromunda/SW:A, etc?".

And slightly separately, related to the ready reckoner, in a hypothetical new edition, would you try to add in a better/different balancing system rather than the inherent "gentleman's agreement" that has been built up in this and probably other Inquisitor communities regarding relative warband sizes/skill levels/balance etc?

I will note that Marco's comments regarding the injury mechanic added to my mentality that it is in some way related to the Battletech hit charts (albeit with battletech adding in left torso and right torso, but not abdomen and groin)

To answer the last bit first, it would be an emphatic 'NO'! As soon as anything other than the social contract and GM discretion method is used, the door would be open for abuse. Instead of a ready reckoner I would include more sample characters, perhaps like templates I suppose, that people could start with and then add character for their individual models.

Gameswise, I really would have to just start playing and writing to work out what i would do (and what players would want to do). Being a GM'd game (or at the least having a player-led scenario) gives it a different feel to other skirmish games already. I'd be wary of moving too far towards RPGs and away from the miniatures - they are still at the heart of the Inquisitor experience.

Cheers,

Gav
Gav Thorpe
Writer, Games Designer, Daddy
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gav.thorpe
Twitter:  @GavThorpeCreate ‏

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Gav Thorpe on October 11, 2017, 03:52:38 PMA change I would make is to make it one Action plus whatever was rolled for, just to make sure characters could do a minimum of two things in a turn which would again encourage more dramatic play- as you point out, the fear of failure can sometimes make players too conservative.
Interestingly, one of the changes I've made in my Revised Edition fan project is changing actions to 3+ rolls.

That's partly because I'm trialling rules that let characters hold back actions to use reactively (which I like as a mechanic - it gives a sense of the character moving more warily and cautiously) and I didn't want that to leave characters doing nothing, but it also means that characters who do throw caution to the wind can be pretty sure of getting a fair few actions.

(I also tried increasing Speed values by 1, but I'm generally happier with how 3+ action rolls have playtested. It still feels unpredictable, but less "random").
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor_Snarf

Quote from: Gav Thorpe on October 11, 2017, 03:54:55 PM
Seeing the responses here has made me wonder if there is a market for a GM-led narrative miniatures game though, perhaps one that was universal so could be played with any miniatures...

NOW THIS is an interesting idea. How much of the Inquisitor rules could one lift and integrate into a new system legally? My understanding is that in general, game systems are not copy-writable only unit stats.

I have designed some RPG systems over the last few years and a Narrative Miniatures Wargame sounds like a great challenge for an upcoming project.

[EDIT]
Note: What I mean is that game MECHANICS are not copy writable, came CONTENT is. For example the weapon rage tables in Inquisitor. The idea of weapons having different range-to-accuracy tables is allowed to be emulated, BUT NOT the same stats, using ABCs, and what not.

Lord Borak

Sadly, I don't see GW every taking up a 54mm range again. It just wouldn't make sense to invest time and money re-developing and releasing a whole range of models that aren't compatible with any of it's current model ranges. ((Saying that, they're re-releasing EPIC apparently)) :/ Still, It gets the conversion juices flowing and there is life yet in the old models yet. :)

So, what Warband are you planning next then?

Inquisitor_Snarf

Just a Friendly BUMP!

Any news from Gav comming back to us?

Heroka Vendile

In case you reappear to answer more of these questions, thanks a lot Gav for hanging out with us for a while at the LGT at the weekend while we mucked around with your creation – and even enlisted you to adjudicate an unexpected rules query regarding sneak attacks.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

SwordlordRoy

Looks like I'm a few months late on this, but might as well ask should Saint Thorpe return again.

If you could go back to guide yourself on the accessibility of Inquisitor, do you think you would have put in a "quick and dirty" plot generator like Rogue Trader had for rookie GMs?

Table 1: Outline/Objective (perhaps roll for each player) -> Table 2:Terrain -> Table 3: Complication(s)?

Anyway, thank you very much for not only Inquisitor, but for the articles, books, other games, etc. that we enjoy.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: SwordlordRoy on November 10, 2018, 04:02:28 AMIf you could go back to guide yourself on the accessibility of Inquisitor, do you think you would have put in a "quick and dirty" plot generator like Rogue Trader had for rookie GMs?
It's not in the core book, no - but such a thing was written for Fanatic magazine:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jmirwrzgejw/scenario+%28Generator%29.pdf

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles