Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

gpemby WIP

Started by gpemby, June 01, 2017, 10:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpemby

Hi, Here goes my WIP dump, I hope the formatting works! Turns out it does not, Embed pic help? Imgur bad?

I wasn't able to buy a guard (at the time) so I hatched a plan to make my own. I found this 54mm soldier on ebay for an extortionate £2.50 so I thought what the hell. 

He scales up pretty well. Obviosuly not heroic but stands up pretty well!

Stick him on a base though and looks much better!
http://imgur.com/TiCSCBH

Started the work of stripping off the details that I didn't want and blocked up one of my files with soft metal (any tips to clear model files)
http://imgur.com/izpuNNa

Mashed up his head pretty badly trying to pull it off, turns out its molded onto the body. Some rework will be needed.

A week in acetone and a good scrub later I removed most of the paint.

Cracked out the brown stuff and started to build up the vest, modeled on the current Cadian troops. Is only the first pass to build a framework to be more accurate. I have also cleaned his head and visor.

Also chucking a medi pack on his back.
http://imgur.com/rReY3za

This is my most ambitious project as its all new sculpting and I'm on a learning curve with that.

Bonus My dog is my spirit animal pic: http://imgur.com/IoAF6rN

Lord Borak

Looking good. HE should work pretty well once you bulk him out with armour/shoulder pads. I'd also look at giving him a decent 40k Weapon. A shotgun or Lasgun. There's a shed load on Ebay at the moment but I have 3 or 4 lasguns in my Bitz box if you want one.

AS for your pictures. Use photobucket. Use the direct IMG link.

gpemby

Quote from: Lord Borak on June 01, 2017, 10:36:25 PM
AS for your pictures. Use photobucket. Use the direct IMG link.

Thanks! I have switched a couple to photobucket but that helped me solve the mystery as to why my imgur links didn't work so now they do! Yay! Photobucket is clunky as hell by comparison!

MarcoSkoll

Modern military figures are a good starting point for Inquisitor, so this has certainly got potential.

I personally have a full guard squad made mostly of cheap WWII British Paratrooper models; because they're not in the bulky "heroic" style, they can use standard 28mm Cadian weapons very nicely (which actually scale pretty close to real life weapon sizes, particularly if the stocks are lengthened slightly).

Quote from: gpemby on June 01, 2017, 10:28:29 PMany tips to clear model files
Files are normally cleaned with a "file card", which is a form of stiff wire brush. Most are intended for larger files, but any small steel or brass brush should work.

I have a couple of soldering tools in my modelling kit which mostly have various hooks and prongs, but also a couple of stiff wire brushes that do a good job of cleaning files.
I did have to resort to a Dremel rotary wire brush a while back after my kit managed to get wet and my steel files started rusting. (That said, I often use diamond files these days, because they're a lot harder to abuse and need less cleaning).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

gpemby

Quote from: Lord Borak on June 01, 2017, 10:36:25 PM
He should work pretty well once you bulk him out with armour/shoulder pads. I'd also look at giving him a decent 40k Weapon. A shotgun or Lasgun.

Yeah I am hoping that the extra bulk from the armor brings him closer to scale but also will consider using him as a rookie soldier / experiened medic rather than a seasoned vet so he's not all muscles anyway. I was originally going to be giving him a lasgun but if I can get a scout shotgun from the sets on eBay then he'll be having that!

My Eisenhorn Model Conversion

I bought this model off eBay and it had a fairly minor conversion with the left hand being cleaned out and the right being upgraded to a sword made from a sewing needle.

I didn't want my Inquisitor to have knackered legs needing braces / bionics so I set about removing them (Looking back it would have been easier if I split the legs first but hey ho)

It was pretty straight forward to whittle away at the extra details. I am pretty happy with the result and it'll only need a small amount of touch up to correct the trousers/boot join.

I have also added a proper sword instead of the needle, The grey knights sword fits really nicely! I kind of wanted to try and keep the skull handle for the sword but it does look just a little too short so I may have to look at extending the handle so it all looks more balanced.

I have bought a couple of sets of the Zinge Industries 'large' pistols and they scale really really well IMO but now I have to decide which one to choose for his left hand!

I have also started work on a Tau fire warrior. Unfortunately I did not pay attention to what I was doing a cut his hand off prematurely and have now had to rework his arm to actually link up and hold the gun correctly. Will need a fair bit of putty work to correct. He is also magnetized so that as I eventually add more fire warriors to my collection they can be pretty interchangeable! There is a big amount of digging out that has been done on his neck hole to try and accommodate his head. I will need to file / sand the grove more thoroughly.

gpemby

I have made some slow progress as I got distracted by doing a bit of painting.

Inq:

I have pondered and pondered over which gun I wanted him to be carrying and eventually, after watching force awakens again over the weekend I decided that Han solo's blaster was the answer. I had to do some work to open the finger out to be on the trigger but I was successful without breaking it off!

Just need to get myself a scope and then I can forever debate if he'd shoot first or not.

Guard:

I have continued to make steady progress on the armor sculpt but nothing significant to show. I have added a side arm on his leg and because of his slightly smaller stature the space marine holstered pistol sits nicely on his leg. I will probably remove the skull motif.

I have now got my hands on a number of lasgun arms following the big eBay dump from a week or so ago. Seeing how much of his chest will be covered I have relaxed my OCD on getting his chest armor spot on.

I still need to decide how I am going to manage his other arm as I did not get any support arms in any of the lots I won. I am also 50/50 on taking his head off and using one of the guard ones I now have.

Tau:

Thanks to the disaster that was my assembly attempt with this chap I have started to fill the gap in his arm but still have plenty to do.

Tangent project:

My plan to keep a maximum of WIP's has been a disaster as I have already added 2 more models to my current WIP pot. This one is a simple start of adding a drum to the enforcers shotgun.

Then my new guns arrived hot off the press and now my brain wants to build 10 more models now now now!!!

Lord Borak

Impressive stuff with converting Eisenhorns fingers!!!  :o

gpemby

This week in the background I have run an experiment with different mixes of putty. I wanted to compare the options in my arsenal so I mixed them up to see which I think gives the best results.

Left to Right

Brown Stuff -Green Stuff - Miliput / Brown Stuff + Miliput - Green Stuff + Miliput - 5050 Green Stuff + Brown Stuff

The just Green or Brown stuff is very soft. The addition of miliput was a big win on that to give a more solid set up that I could drill and pin.

Details are slightly reduced and I will probable have to 'fix' a number of sections on each with the spare putty I get. Which is fine as my plan for these means they really don't need to be perfect.

RobSkib

Wow those casts are pretty nifty. Have you considered reposing some of the legs and casting those too?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

gpemby

Quote from: RobSkib on June 26, 2017, 11:21:54 AM
Wow those casts are pretty nifty. Have you considered reposing some of the legs and casting those too?

Thanks, not bad at all for a 'first' go if I do say so myself! Much was learnt and round 2 of testing will hopefully show a massive improvement in cast quality! I only own 1 pair of the legs so I am currently very reluctant to attack them atm but that will hopefully all change over the next few days! Having an eBay account and getting a nice annual bonus is bad for my postman's back!

I have tried my hand at improving the mold / mould / cast and using my perfected mix with some promising results.

Left torso looks better in person than the photo shows but isn't good enough
Right torso is almost perfect minius the flash.

gpemby

So I am desperate to get something going with my new guns and have had this chap in mind since I first stumbled on the guns before they were scaled and available!

I'm not 100% sold on the head but it fits pretty well.

It's difficult to really see how it will look with the new lasgun but it will be really interesting to see it. A bit of work to be done to get the arm right first though.

There will need to be some work done on the legs as they look very 1/32 against the heroic torso. Also, who wears dress shoes to a combat zone!?  and is it cool to tuck your trousers into your socks in the 41st millennium?

The legs do give me a nice amount of space to add some more combat esc boots and a pistol or ammo pouch or two.

Also really tempted to give him this weapon instead:

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: gpemby on June 26, 2017, 10:40:55 PMand is it cool to tuck your trousers into your socks in the 41st millennium?
Although I believe it's getting less common (I think it's considered increasingly old fashioned), "twisters" were standard kit when I was a cadet - basically mini-bungee straps you put around the top of your boots to tuck your trouser cuffs back up into.

You could see how a sculptor with a bad reference photo or a dodgy memory could something that looked like this into what you've got there:
http://www.xindawebbing.com/upload/uppic/2009/12/2009123014310244447.jpg

And I wouldn't be entirely surprised if some regiments of the Imperial Guard did wear dress boots in the field (with summary punishment for having grubby uniforms in combat!)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

So really good stuff here. If you're doing a simple press mould, when making the mould make sure you put a HUGE amount of pressure on the mould (instant mould?) so it captures all the details. The same goes when using the putty. Make sure you push it into all the details before closing the mould up. Saying that, those guardsmen bits have come out really well.

The 3D print guns look fantastic. Please tell me you're going to get those cast up???

gpemby

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on June 26, 2017, 11:46:25 PM
Quote from: gpemby on June 26, 2017, 10:40:55 PMand is it cool to tuck your trousers into your socks in the 41st millennium?
Although I believe it's getting less common (I think it's considered increasingly old fashioned), "twisters" were standard kit when I was a cadet - basically mini-bungee straps you put around the top of your boots to tuck your trouser cuffs back up into.

I remember those! My dad wore them on his trousers (Officer) a lot! It's either a bad judge on the long boot look or more likely they are legs from none military model, one which better suits the dressy attire.

Quote from: Lord Borak on June 27, 2017, 08:11:16 AM
So really good stuff here. If you're doing a simple press mould, when making the mould make sure you put a HUGE amount of pressure on the mould (instant mould?) so it captures all the details. The same goes when using the putty. Make sure you push it into all the details before closing the mould up.

Thanks! Yeah I learnt a lot this last 2 weeks about the press molding process. It just started out and a small test to see what sort of results I'd get. I have been pleasantly surprised! I think I will have to invest in more advanced molding tech moving forward though....

Quote from: Lord Borak on June 27, 2017, 08:11:16 AM
The 3D print guns look fantastic. Please tell me you're going to get those cast up?

Not in the short term, you can get your own set from the designer and then do what you wish with them but he deserves every sale he gets for putting them together for me/us. Future 3D models will be owned by me so they'll be set to be cast up.

gpemby

I have been away on a short holiday for a week and have returned with a bit of a bug! A modelling bug! So this evening I went a bit crazy!

bullets are coming down range