Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Mother of Mercy Modelling Megathread

Started by RobSkib, July 11, 2017, 11:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

As many of you should be aware by now after my repeated, obnoxious attempts at a recruitment drive, I'll be running an Inquisitor event later this year called Mother of Mercy. This of course means only one thing for me: getting finger out and getting on with some modelling.

I'll be bringing along several warbands on the day for those who want to try Inquisitor but don't have the models to do so, and this thread will exist both as a record of stuff I'm making for the day and any older warbands I'll be updating and giving a lick of fresh paint to.

First up, some thugs! Apologies for the weird photos, I took these on a whim several months back before I started painting them. Better photos will come as they start seeing some pigment.

On the left we have Conan the Unkillable, a lowly hive ganger cursed with immortality (or so they say...) and on the right we have TJ Razor, a salty void-dog with an intense passion and flair for knives.

Here's a slightly better photo of Conan, pinched from the 54mm weapons thread. I tried to model in a butt-tonne of bullet holes into his clothes to go for that Luke Cage look. He might have a powerful regeneration mutation, but it doesn't mean his clothes do.

He's going to be a pale, pasty-skinned underhive ganger with a large red freehand tatto on his left arm. He is/was a member of the Red Hand Gang, and they show their prowess in combat by adding stripes to their tattooed left hand. Needless to say, Conan will be a man of many stripes.

TJ Razor is a heavily tattooed voidsman and part of the Pursers Grim - a bunch of interstellar thugs that secret themselves aboard all the vessels in the sector, acting as informants, assassins and hired muscle to those on board. They feed information back to their central players on Mercy, who ensure that information gets to the right people, for the right price.

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Lord Borak

Looking great mate!! Really like the TJ Razor chap.

I can't see the back of him but for a man who loves knives.. He seems to only have one ;P

RobSkib

Bah! I guess I shall take some ever-so-slightly-not finished pictures then to prove you wrong :P

He has no less than six visible knives, ranging from big 'n' choppy to small 'n' throwy, and he will benefit from the 'Always has another knife' special rule, so I doubt he'll run out in game!

He's basically finished now, just need to do a bit more detail on the base and I can move on to Conan.

+++++++

Van Helser

Sumptuous facial tattoo work. Would really like to know how you did that.

This thread will hopefully get me out of a 54mm slump too!

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

He reminds me very much of the film "Warriors". Great work all round and, yeah, the face is awesome. The tattoo's on the back of his head are great as well!

RobSkib

Quote from: Van Helser on July 12, 2017, 12:00:23 PM
Sumptuous facial tattoo work. Would really like to know how you did that.

A very, very long afternoon! Unfortunately I couldn't find a shortcut, it was just lots of layers of thinned paints and some good reference material to work with. The skin was Flayed One Flesh with a Nuln Oil wash, then the tatts were painted over the top in a dark grey (which took frickin' ages). Just a highlight with Flayed One Flesh afterwards to pick out the edges and highlights. I'm thinking to have another lighter layer on the top, but we shall see where my procrastination takes me.

Quote from: Van Helser on July 12, 2017, 12:00:23 PM
This thread will hopefully get me out of a 54mm slump too!

Well that'd be lovely! Nothing like publicly committing to running an event to get the blood pumping :p

Quote from: Lord Borak on July 12, 2017, 04:26:27 PM
He reminds me very much of the film "Warriors". Great work all round and, yeah, the face is awesome. The tattoo's on the back of his head are great as well!

Acolyyyyytes.... come out to plaaAAAAaaaayyyy....
                                     +++++++

RobSkib

I couldn't help but try out some of the guns I picked up recently and I had a mostly built model lying about that needed some TLC. I liked the combination of parts but I wasn't really inspired by it enough to finish it and paint it, until these shiny new guns landed on my doorstep and now everyone gets exotic ranged weapons!

Step forwards the latest to the collection of unfinished projects; a naval armsman armed with shotcannon. She needs a lot more small details added to bring her to life, but I'm pretty happy with how she's turned out so far. Also I totally didn't realise but I've now made two models using the same legs and upper body pose, so I think I'll be leaving Stone's legs on the sidelines for a bit after this project...

+++++++

RobSkib

/Shameless triple post/

First up, I've got some snaps of the finished TJ Razor. Very pleased with how he came out in the end and validated the (way too many) hours I spent on the freehand.

I also finalised my Armsman, meet Sulph Culiver, Master-at-Arms to the Yule Dynasty. She's armed for boarding actions, so equipped with brutal close quarters equipment used during ship-to-ship combat. In this case, it's a drum-fed shotcannon, and when that's spent she has a heavy bore revolver and an axe for finishing off survivors. She's also sporting an old-school rebreather mounted on her belt, and her boarding visor is tilted up so she can get a better eyeball on her opponents.

Finally another scratch build, the third in my criminal triumverate. So far he is unnamed, but I have a very particular style in mind for him. As with my other criminals, he's based off a Necromunda gang I'm quite a fan of, the Coppolla Independents. One of those models stuck particularly in my mind, and I've always had an itch to make a 54mm landsknecht, so this was the ideal opportunity. He's still very much WIP, but with a bit of bluetack and a fancy rifle from one of the weapons packs I think you can see where I'm going with this!

+++++++

gpemby

Very impressive! Keep the updates coming!

Lord Borak

You're making me feel VERY guilty for not doing more 54mm work :/

Great stuff as always MrSkib. The face on TJ Razor is amazing.

RobSkib

Quote from: gpemby on August 02, 2017, 07:55:54 PM
Very impressive! Keep the updates coming!

Certainly! I've got an albino regenerating ganger up next

Quote from: Lord Borak on August 03, 2017, 12:07:25 AM
You're making me feel VERY guilty for not doing more 54mm work :/

Well if it gets more pictures of your models onto the Clave, I'm all for it ;)
                                     +++++++

Lord Borak

I actually went and sprayed my squad of Catachans after writing that message. Guilt does something I guess!!!  ::) :P

Time, however, if not on my side at the moment. lots of things going on in the world (moving house, child etc..) which is why my thread(s) have been a little light on the updates. :(

mcjomar

For my part, my recent focus has been on building and clearing my desk of 28mm related projects as much as possible.
I'll get back to 54mm eventually, honest!

I'm curious to see where the GS scratchbuild goes, and how it turns out relative to the 28mm version.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

RobSkib

Quote from: Lord Borak on August 03, 2017, 10:55:11 PM
I actually went and sprayed my squad of Catachans after writing that message. Guilt does something I guess!!!  ::) :P

Pleasure to be of assistance I guess? :P

Quote from: mcjomar on August 04, 2017, 08:21:57 AM
I'm curious to see where the GS scratchbuild goes, and how it turns out relative to the 28mm version.

Me too! I'm always a little skittish at this stage because the parts are now too converted for me to be able to undo them if I don't like the project, but not finished enough so that I can see the end of the tunnel. Guess I have to just keep pushing forwards and hoping for the best...
                                     +++++++

mcjomar

That's a familiar position.
I just tend to blunder right through, and hope for the best. Thankfully if I screw up, there's always the bits box, and some intelligent hacking to fix it.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.