Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor at the London GT (19-20 May 2018)

Started by MarcoSkoll, October 18, 2017, 10:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

We are now scheduled for this, although the original post below remains relevant, as that means we now have a heap of decisions to make and planning to do!

~~~~~

Original post:

I've been contacted (via The Conclave's Facebook page) by the organiser of the London Grand Tournament,  who asked if the community would be interested in running Inquisitor as one of the GT's side events.

Now, the London GT is a pretty big deal - one of the biggest UK gaming events, with hundreds of players split across several sub-events (the main 40k singles event is apparently the biggest in Europe, and this year sold out in 11 days), and even some healthy support from GW themselves (this year it was live-streamed by the Warhammer TV team).
They're offering us a lot of support in whatever we want to put on, and there's a lot of flexibility in the format we choose - an event can be competitive or narrative; half-day, one-day or two-day; we'd have the freedom to go 28mm, 54mm or both; etc. (Ticket pricing would be discussed with the main event organisers).

The only real fixed details are the date (19th and/or 20th May 2018) and the venue (Westminster Academy Sport, Torquay St, London, W2 5EW - close to Paddington station, or Royal Oak tube). Pricing would be discussed with the main event organisers.

As such, I think this is an offer we should take fairly seriously. It's a very high profile event to be invited to, which could be a boost for the Inquisitor event scene.

I'm prepared to offer to run it myself (I live relatively close to London, so it's easy for me to get there), but I'm also content to split the job with people or to hand things over to others if people would prefer. (I know some people can find me a bit brash, and I'd really rather not let that ruin such an excellent opportunity).

At this stage, what we need to know is who's interested and what they'd like out of such an event. (The sooner the better!)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Okay, first off WOW :o

Second off, I consider myself extremely inexperienced as a GM, so at best I could come along to show solidarity/bring models/character sheets/etc, but I'd obviously want to be there.
Given the advance notice I'm extremely hopeful that I can get that weekend booked for this (I can think of no birthdays in that month on those dates, the nearest one would be the following weekend).

Are we going to consider this as our IGT event in conjunction, or a showcase/story event weekend?
If the former, I do have a scenario that I could run - but I would be winging it, even with that much preparation time.
And I need to work up the enthusiasm to paint the other 6/10 tokens for it. And do some base modifications.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

greenstuff_gav

i've got a slew of scenarios; will check with the missus as i can run demos easily enough
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

I'm happy to come. I need an excuse to get away to be honest. I haven't had a chance to do any hobby for some time  :-\ A day away should offer some naughty distraction!!!  ;D

You know I have NPCs aplenty and scenery too if required.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on October 18, 2017, 10:55:51 PMAre we going to consider this as our IGT event in conjunction, or a showcase/story event weekend?
Well, that's one of the things we'd need to discuss.

My first thought would be to have Saturday and Sunday as separate but related stories; That way there'd be something of a continuous story for people who could do a full weekend, but people who could only make it to one day or the other wouldn't feel completely left out.
An IGT format event wouldn't be so suited to being split like that, so we'd probably have to limit it to one day. (The other thing is that I tend to find that people unfamiliar with the IGT format often tend to get the wrong end of the stick about it being overly competitive).

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Yeah good point.
I guess a story event would be more appropriate then.
Which begs the question, is the Carthax sector going to be brought up to date with the new timeline (200 years after 999 m.41 apparently, or so I keep reading)?
Or will it be set elsewhere/when?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Cortez

We should definitely take them up on this.

I think a campaign/story event would be best for this, rather than a random IGT style event. It could be two completely different events (one for each day) or you could have a link between the two days, which I think would be better (even though I'll probably only be able to attend on the Saturday and maybe sunday afternoon). However each day should still have it's own conclusion (so that people who can only attend one day get a proper ending).

I also think we should try and do an extra special job for this one, putting a lot of effort into designing the setting, maybe even creating some scenery for the event. That might be asking too much though.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on October 19, 2017, 08:47:17 AMWhich begs the question, is the Carthax sector going to be brought up to date with the new timeline (200 years after 999 m.41 apparently, or so I keep reading)?
I'm assuming that we're keeping Carthax standard time (I certainly have no plans to age all my characters by a century or two), so the date is still 017.M42...

... or so it appears. The dating system in the Imperium has always been very inconsistent, and the new fluff has played heavily on that.

Guilliman has been trying to catch up on ten thousand years of history (and has formed the Logos Historica Verita to for the thankless task of trying to make a vaguely coherent and uncensored version for him to read), but has run afoul of the Imperium's utterly disastrous dating system.
(To the point that GW have introduced a conflict within the Ordos Chronos about what the actual date is).
Even just considering the main five dating systems, the current year is supposed to be anywhere between the early 41st millennium and somewhere in the 42nd (and that's discounting uncountable lesser interpretations).

Throw in the vagaries of warp travel and astropathic communication, and it could be that centuries have suddenly passed outside the Carthax sector. It's long been established that warp travel around the Carthax sector is somewhat more unusual than usual, with several "creases" in the Immaterium that mean there are some short-cuts a huge way across the galaxy.

Quote from: Cortez on October 19, 2017, 09:35:36 AMI also think we should try and do an extra special job for this one, putting a lot of effort into designing the setting, maybe even creating some scenery for the event. That might be asking too much though.
I don't want to jinx it, but a big event like this that's several months off would actually be a perfect kick in the arse to get Leander sorted.

We have seven months as of today, so we've certainly got the time to go a bit madder than usual; we're also being offered quite a lot of support from the GT team themselves, although our budget for sorting out special scenery and the like will obviously affect the necessary price for event tickets.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

Wow.
Heck yes that would be a good idea.

It would be absolutely amazing to be the table(s) with an actual TITAN, rather than these piddly wee Knights, as far as grabbing spectators from passing traffic goes, and of course the grand finale scenarios get far more high-stakes with a titan plasma blast gun in the mix.

I can't commit right now to being particularly useful as far as creating terrain or NPCs and the like goes, but I'm pretty sure I'll be available for at least one of the days to play and talk to folks.

The LGT page itself seems pretty detail-light - is it mostly just a sports hall with a hundred games tables and hardcore gaming all day?

Is there sideshow stuff?
Vendors?
Tean and coffee acquiring facilities?

I'm happy to take these questions direct to the organisers as an interested ][ player, if it will increase the impression of how worthwile giving Inquisitor a few tables will be.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on October 19, 2017, 08:51:19 PMThe LGT page itself seems pretty detail-light
I think that's partly because it's expanding very fast as an event; despite its massive success, it's a fairly new event (I think it's only been in 2016 and 2017 so far), and it seems it's becoming quite a lot broader in scope each time; I don't think even the organisers know quite what will be happening next time.

I believe they're almost looking to become something of a gaming convention; aside from the things already listed on their site (including a narrative 40k event, so it's not all hardcore gaming), they're obviously talking to us, and I've heard they're also trying to line up Warmaster and Epic, with an expectation of about 700 total players for 2018.

However, if you'd like to ask about sideshows, vendors and food, they're good questions and I'd kind of like to know the answers as well.

QuoteIt would be absolutely amazing to be the table(s) with an actual TITAN, rather than these piddly wee Knights, as far as grabbing spectators from passing traffic goes
It's naturally the kind of thing Leander would be perfect for, but I won't make any promises just yet. (I have made some advances since I last updated her thread, but I know I've said I'd get her ready several times before).

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Oh wow, this does sound big.  I had a message from a guy through the Carthaxian Inquisitor Facebook page at the start of the week asking if I was the chap that ran the WHW and Dark Sphere days (which I haven't), and bounced him in your direction Marco.  Hadn't a clue it was for anything like this!

It's a fantastic opportunity to show off Inquisitor to a large room full of circulating people, as well as an opportunity to have a campaign day.  I'd like to say I could make it, and would probably make it a two day trip to make the most of the opportunity.  I can take sleeper trains or fly to London from Inverness so travel there is a lot more direct than it ever is to Nottingham.  However, May time is when I expect I'll be very busy with MSc stuff, so it's a maybe from me for now.

Ruaridh

Heroka Vendile

As I'm still one of the Facebook page admins, I've glanced over the conversation with the organiser over past few days and it's certainly a very interesting offer. (Best if you continue as single point of contact Dave! Avoids any confusion.)
I think even just a baseline of what the ticket pricing could range between would be very useful at this point.

If the event as a whole is tournament-heavy without any general foot traffic then having a demo table isn't really a good use of resources. However if they are angling more for the convention format then a demo table makes more sense.

As for whether we would run a campaign day or an IGT, I wouldn't mind either. Of course if we're there for 2 days we could run both on different days.

I would like to get to an event again it's been far too long, and like Ruaridh, travel to London is a lot simpler than travel to Nottingham when you're coming from Scotland.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on October 21, 2017, 08:47:06 PMI think even just a baseline of what the ticket pricing could range between would be very useful at this point.
There's a £10 entry ticket to the overall LGT, and the suggested prices are that 1 day events are £20 and 2-day events £40.
(They also mentioned half day, but I can't see that being a good idea when people are dragging themselves hundreds of miles).

However, the final price is discussed with the organisers, and I'm guessing those prices expect that the running costs include a hefty prize pool (for which I can't think of a lot of good ideas).

QuoteIf the event as a whole is tournament-heavy without any general foot traffic then having a demo table isn't really a good use of resources. However if they are angling more for the convention format then a demo table makes more sense.
I'll have to ask about the format.

However, my thinking at the moment is that our numbers for the last few years are often very thin even without people sitting out to run demo tables - an assistant GM would probably be more useful.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

If it's £50 to get in and play, I almost certainly can't do both days, which is unfortunate.

I'll shoot the exec an email to ask about their plans for what will be there - it'll show interest from the community, at the very least.

Unrelated note, and at the risk of initiating a squabble - seems like this might be the sort of event that would benefit from both 54mm and 28mm tables.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on October 21, 2017, 11:47:48 PMIf it's £50 to get in and play, I almost certainly can't do both days, which is unfortunate.
I've not had any kind of discussion with the organisers about this yet, but knowing how small the community is, I know we can't afford to see people put off by the ticket price.

Some budget could make the event really shiny (e.g. mission briefings handed out in wax sealed parchment envelopes, custom terrain, etc), but I can't imagine we need a massive prize pool, and I'd feel somewhat odd trying to run the event for profit.

QuoteUnrelated note, and at the risk of initiating a squabble - seems like this might be the sort of event that would benefit from both 54mm and 28mm tables.
If possible, I'd love to. Nice 54mm projects are great at catching attention, but nice 28mm conversions are much better at convincing people.

I've tried approaching both the Ammobunker and the largest INQ28 Facebook group, although so far I've only had two "sounds cool, but I won't be able to make it myself" answers. I may try hitting up specific people to see if they can help the idea get any traction.

GW's =I= articles