Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor at the London GT (19-20 May 2018)

Started by MarcoSkoll, October 18, 2017, 10:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genghis

Speaking of pestering, is there any more news on whether 28mm is going to happen?
"We are the night-born, we are the children of the otherworld, we are the wolves from Antumnos"

TheNephew

Saturday ticket bought!

If all goes to plan, I'll bring a small 28mm warband as well as as many 54mm models as I have available.

Depending on how that weekend develops and how flush with cash I'm feeling I might do Sunday as well, but that's contingent on finding a handy sofa or floor to crash on as well.

Great news about Gav coming - good work Marco.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Genghis on February 17, 2018, 02:09:21 PM
Speaking of pestering, is there any more news on whether 28mm is going to happen?
I still want it to happen, but it's presenting a logistical challenge.

I need to know numbers for each scale at least roughly in order to plan well. But the organisers weren't even particularly keen on having me divide the entire event so that each day was ticketed separately, so rather than having 54mm and 28mm tickets I was hoping to get rough numbers by getting the initial 54mm sales in, then opening it up to 28mm and thus having a rough idea about what to plan for by what the sales were like before and after.

... that strategy hasn't exactly worked out (hashtag understatement). It's all been just tricking in, so I may need to politely ask the organisers if they wouldn't mind me having even more ticket options. Or try and come up with an alternative plan that doesn't rely on people seeing and obeying a "for the love of the Emperor, please e-mail me what scale you're using" notice.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Genghis

Fair enough.  For what it's worth I'm keeping that weekend clear & will be attending both days if 28mm happens.  As discussed via e-mail a while back, I can also help with NPCs & terrain as well if required.
"We are the night-born, we are the children of the otherworld, we are the wolves from Antumnos"

TheNephew

Will anyone on the LGT organisational team complain if you run a 28mm table as well?
Do you (we) have more than two tables, so there's spare for a 28mm table?

I'll bring my sole 28mm warband along anyway, because I have nowhere else to show them off and get C&C, rather than because I'm demanding a place to play with them.

It's always sounded like we players of The One True Scale are probably solidly in the vanishing minority, so perhaps advertising that there will be a table for 28mm would boost visibility and sales?

MarcoSkoll

The organisational team have thus far seemed cool with the idea of 28mm, I think it absolutely should be at the event, and we still have capacity spare (for now).

However, to list the various problems I'm hitting:

~~~~~

- As already mentioned, tracking player numbers for each scale. To some extent I'll be able to have some leeway by making some scenarios so they can run in either scale, but the more scenarios I have do like that, the more work is required.

- I have a pretty poor record with actually getting reliable commitment out of the 28mm community. The first Dark Sphere meet had about five or six 28mm players who expressed interest, then only one turned up. I could handle that then, as I'd brought my 28mm stuff and could Player-GM, but I won't be able to do the same thing at the LGT.

- My 28mm collection is not particularly large (no pun intended). Without NPC support from others, the variety of scenarios that can be run will be fairly limited, particularly if more than a couple of tables are needed.

- My 28mm collection does not showcase INQ28 well, and that's a serious concern for an event of this standing.
I mostly dissect metal models from the 90s/00s, bury them under green stuff and end up with subtle conversions that many people would mistake for being much simpler than they are. This is not the kind of INQ28 that inspires people - most people are drawn in by "Blanchitsu" and/or creative kitbashing, and so that's what we need on display.

- On the other hand, for 54mm, I have a Razorback, Sentinel, a Warhound Titan on the way, characters sculpted to exactly imitate iconic GW art, squads of "army men" converted to look like Cadian-style troopers, etc.

I'm actually more proud of some of my 28mm work than some of that (for example, I think the 28mm Cpl Fielder is one of my best models, to the point I entered her into an IGT painting competition), but I simply have no knack for 28mm projects that have the same kind of "wow" factor that stops passers by.
Given the less-than-entirely-friendly rivalry between the 28mm and 54mm communities, I'm actually kind of worried how that kind of unevenness could be interpreted. (Seeing as I know a lot of the 28mm community still consider me an outsider).

~~~~~

Those problems pile up.

What I'd've really liked was one of the big champions of 28mm to leap in on this and help organise things, because it would have split the load, it would have brought in connections, and it would have avoided any accusations of favouritism. I did put out such an appeal, but got no interest.

Instead, at the very least, I'm going to need a commitment from a few people to help out with NPC/terrain/etc assets for the event.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

For those of you who like such a way of following things, I've set up an official event page on Facebook. (It may make it easier to keep track of updates than having to drop into the forum).

https://www.facebook.com/events/157194981753239/

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Facebook is offering some free advertising credit on The Conclave page, and it seems silly not to boost this event with it.

However, the current event image is the logo from the LGT, and for some reason Facebook decides to restrict the reach of adverts with lots of text in their image, so for best results, I need to cook up an alternative poster for the advert.

Does anyone have any particularly good game photos they don't mind being used in a poster for the event?

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

There's been a bit of a delay in trying to sort this, as I didn't have many offers of photos (Van Helser did offer an album on Facebook, but sadly I didn't think any of them would work that well as a poster).

I've yet to try clearing any of these with the LGT organisers, but I've tried throwing some together (I may slightly tidy up the logo position/colour) and I'm putting them out there for people to give me thoughts.

Of these, my gut feeling is the last one has the most professional looking photo, although I do kind of like the first (people aren't too prominent in the background, it's easy to find a clear space for the LGT logo - the others are hard to pick a colour/position for - and I even don't mind the die being in the foreground).

The other alternative is to go off on a bit of a tangent - for example, I can render something where photo quality isn't an issue, but the tabletop wargame aspect is somewhat less obvious here:

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

The only album I have with tabletop time is here:
https://imgur.com/a/yp0lK

From the space marine day a couple years back (it's been that long already?).

I'd be inclined towards tabletop photos where possible (even older ones from DM articles or that sort of thing).
I'd also agree regards the favoured photo of the ones you're showing there for tabletop use - it's nicely atmospheric.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

greenstuff_gav

you're welcome to any from these;
http://buildyourimagination.co.uk/minis/inq.php

if going for a picture with minis i'd try to go for one that shows the front of the mini though; the ones you've picked... aren't very interesting in my opinion
(i like the Cypher and the red cultists one)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

TheNephew

If any of Gav's pics are sufficiantly pro-looking (or could be filtered effectively) I'd go with one of the 'squad posing' or showdown pics - I think having Big Greg E himself in the ad pictures would be useful.

I won't link to Gav's photos, because they aren't working for me (clicking a thumbnail just reloads the gallery page), but there a few that would suit.
Anything off the top two rows of the Summer Conclave '14, or Kisanth and J Ken, or Advance (featuring 54mm Rhino).
There are a few on the Winter Conclave '12 too.

I also took a few (not great quality) shots of the assembled gangs from the last day at WHW, which might work.
I'll see if I can find them and mail them to someone.

As has been said already, I think tabletop pictures are pretty much a must, in-game action shots a bonus, but you want the focus to be the front of recognisable models - the mock-ups at the moment prominently feature scenery and the backs of grunts.

Edit: To clarify, I think the most important features are recognisable Inquisitor-y miniatures, seen from the front.
Even if it looks staged to heck and back, a close shot of off-the-shelf Eisenhorn facing down Tyrus (ideally a converted but definitely Inquisitorial person) would be a better advert for Inquisitor than someone that is probably a guardsman watching to ant-people fight in the distance.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on March 02, 2018, 08:37:01 AMif going for a picture with minis i'd try to go for one that shows the front of the mini though; the ones you've picked... aren't very interesting in my opinion
While on principle I agree with you, the process of finding photos that are...

- in focus
- not shaky
- well exposed
- crops well to the 16:9 that Facebook seems to prefer
- haven't got too much camera noise
- no half painted models (or in general any painting that I think anyone might be embarrassed to have used as the header for an advert).
- hasn't got the table entirely strewn with loose character sheets and misplaced dice (I don't mind a few, but there are limits)
- no-one's crotch in the background
- doesn't put anyone in the spotlight by showing their face
- actually, in general, just a fairly nondescript background
- seems to be something actually happening (I have several where it's very hard to actually see any story behind them).
- of 54mm models (because I can't use 28mm until/unless I confirm that)
- has somewhere reasonable to put the logo
- was something I actually have permission to use
- and which I haven't used for an event promo before

... narrows the choices I had a lot.

I've just tried looking through your galleries, but unfortunately, there's not many of them that would meet all of those.

If I cross off "don't reuse things" from that list, I used this photo for the IGT 15 event page. (Well, it's actually two similar photos merged, as by chance they came out with different focus, so it allowed me to lengthen the depth of field).
It's still showing the back of a character, but it does avoid a bit of the "ant people in the distance".

It's got well painted models, no-one's groin in the background, something going on, nice terrain and passable photography. It suffers a bit from grey-brown syndrome, but it's not terrible.

If anyone wants to stage something like Eisenhorn vs. Tyrus, then I'm prepared to consider that as an option, but I'll need a good photo and I'll need it pretty sharpish.

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

given how busy the detail is in the photo, I would advocate ditching the white outline for the text and putting a solid white box behind the text instead, with 40-60% opacity to let some of the photo detail show through.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

I wouldn't necessarily disagree*, although the main question is about the right choice of photo. If people can offer up something that generally fits with the criteria I posted earlier, then I'm prepared to consider it, but I am struggling a bit to find anything suitable.
* The white border itself was an attempt to try and make it stand out a bit better from the busy detail. I might try again with a wider border as well.

The earlier mention of Dark Magenta battle report photos is a potentially interesting one. If we're really struggling, I'll try checking with Saussure if that reasonably falls within the DM publishing agreement, given that the 'Clave and Dark Magenta are something of a joint entity.

In any case, I've sent that to the LGT organisers asking if they'd be okay with us using something roughly like that. If they veto it, then there's not much point in arguing.

GW's =I= articles