Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ash Wastes Guardsman and Scum

Started by Van Helser, August 02, 2009, 02:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Some of you may remember this pair from The Conclave before the crash.  Since then they've had the finishing touches applied and have been based.  Only thing to do now is crack out the paints!

The Ash Wastes Guardsman, based on Jes Goodwin's sketch from Codex Imperialis:

The Scum was going to be Inquisitor Goddard in disguise, but in the end I decided this simply wasn't an extravagant enough costume!  So instead this Scum will eventually get a character all of his own.

Comments and criticisms welcome as always.

Ruaridh

Hadriel Caine

other people would probably advise you not to use GS on its own for sharp details (such as on the Ash wastes guy's mask) but I think you've done a fine job. Congrats on reversing Covenant's Dress as well, something that annoyed the hell out of me when I tried.

How'd you do the bases?

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Van Helser

Bases are nothing more exotic than Milliput.  I got a funky sand-like pattern as I was wearing surgical gloves at the time and the grippy fingertips left a pattern on the putty that I thought was perfect for representing the ash wastes.  The shards of crystal on the Scum's base come from a jar of decorative glass I picked up in an Au Naturel.  That's a surprisingly good shop for little craft finds like that actually.

Hadriel Caine

well the bases look great so congrats on the easy construction!
I just realised quite how much detail had been sculpted on the second mini. the trousers and mask in particular are excellent. the Jack Bauer-esque pose is cool as well!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Adam Cunis on August 02, 2009, 02:58:37 PMCongrats on reversing Covenant's Dress as well, something that annoyed the hell out of me when I tried.
I cannot enough recommend having a rotary tool for this form of thing. They're not hugely expensive in the lower power versions you need for this sort of work - a tool and a sizeable collection of fittings for it should set you back less than £30.

I keep around two - a 125W Dremel for serious construction work, and an 18W no-name brand for miniature modelling. Both are invaluable for their roles.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Well, finally managed to get round to painting the Scummer.

Unfortunately, I think the paintscheme I chose for the trousers has shown off the not so clean greenstuff work that went into his lower half.  I wanted to go for a dirty, well-worn look (hence the very light, scuffed knees), but the highlights on the creases show them off too much...  Perhaps should have stuck with something dark. 

You can't see it in the photo, but emblazoned across his orange t-shirt are the words "No Mercy" - gives an idea of his unsympathetic personality...

Anyway, comments and criticism welcome.  I've started on the guardsman too, but I think I may go back and choose a new colour scheme.  Dark bluey/grey is the current plan, but I'm not liking the look of it so far.  We'll see what happens.

Ruaridh

catferret

I like the trousers actually.  I wouldn't worry about the sculpting, it looks fine to me. The colour scheme looks suitable simple and rugged, perfect for a scummer.

kierkegaard

I think that the scummer looks great Van. You can just put any sculpting you are unhappy with down to the material that his baggy old trousers are made out of.

I like the Ash Wastes guardsman so much that it has now gone on my list of things to do (which was as long as my arm before...) I think that black/grey/brown would be the way to go for an ash waste scheme, but that is just my opinion.

If you are really unhappy with your GS finish, I suggest getting some very fine wet and dry paper. It works very well on set GS.

EDIT - I forgot to ask, where does it say 'No Mercy' on the scummer's shirt? I can't see it.

psycho

love both of the minis mate
but what is the torso on the scummer from?
ive noticed it crops up on a fair few minis but cant identify it
kerby

Van Helser

The torao's from Talon, the discontinued hive ganger. It's a fairly cool leather jacket he sports though. Real shame he's not available anywhere else than eBay on occasion.

Nick, it says "No Mercy" on his t-shirt just below the line of his outstretched arm. It's black writing so it doesn't show because of the arm's shadow. I'll maybe try another photo tomorrow to see if I can get it visible.

Kaled

I love the mask on the scummer, but it's the guardsman I'm really looking forwards to seeing - I always loved that sketch and your version is excellent.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Aidan

Love both minis, especially the scummer - great sculpting and great painting, and an 'original' pose (for an inquisitor mini). I can't see why an Inquisitor in disguise should have an extravagant costume, but the scummer certainly looks a bit too squat to be Goddard, unless he's gone in for some serious surgery.

I like the guardsman too, though his waistsline seems a little narrow - though it could just be the position of the legs and his big trenchcoat. But I love his armour details, and the lascarbine is neat too.

-Aidan.

Van Helser

Well, almost two months later I finally finish the Guardsman.  Well, I say finished, but I'm still not entirely happy with the detailing on his coat, but I had ten minutes of bright sunshine and had to take advantage of the break in the weather.  Not sure when I can next expect natural light up here in the dark and dreary north so just took some photos!

It took me an absolute age to settle on a paintscheme that worked.  I went through about three slightly different shades of grey before settling on the Charadon Granite/Dheneb Stone mix you see here.  I think it just about gives the right impression of the dreary world on which he fights.  I quite like the way the red of the visor draws attention to his head - hopefully showing off all the work that went into sculpting the helmet and respirator.  I think my freehand is coming on quite a lot, but there's still room for improvement.  As I said, I'm still not happy with the yellow arrows on the coat.  I want to go back to them, but I'll probably end up getting distracted by another project!

As always, critique away.

Ruaridh

theemperorswill

nice work. loving the guardsman. shades of the prison guards from Judge Dread?
the emperors will be done

Adlan

Lovely clean model, you are right, sunglasses focus the attention on the head.