Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

2018 Conclave Events

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 30, 2017, 04:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNephew

I think Nottingham is going to be a once every couple of years thing for me, sadly - it's just a grim long day on the trains, to the point that I'm pretty miserable by the time I get home no matter how enjoyable the gaming always is.
I'd be up for DS though.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Genghis on May 30, 2018, 05:40:13 PM
I'm curious about seeing the revised edition in action.  If there was a 28mm option, I'd be tempted to make the journey to Nottingham for it (assuming I'm free).
While I'm expecting it to be of more interest to 54mm players (I've had a lot more feedback from that side of the community), I'm not beyond making it a mixed or even primarily 28mm event if that's the way that the numbers work out.

When, where and how big will depend on feedback. I may start asking around on Facebook or sending out newsletters.

Quote from: TheNephew on May 30, 2018, 06:02:45 PM
I think Nottingham is going to be a once every couple of years thing for me, sadly - it's just a grim long day on the trains, to the point that I'm pretty miserable by the time I get home no matter how enjoyable the gaming always is.
I'd be up for DS though.
I can understand that. London is a fair bit more practical for me as well, and it would naturally be where I would run an IRE playtest (I get to be a lot more rested, which is far better for me actually remembering and evaluating the rules), but I know that London is a fair bit less practical for other people, so we really should spread the events around.

If it does work out that there's just not the interest in Nottingham, I might actually be tempted to hold it in Hemel on 28th July, as that's one of my club's open Saturdays, and I think that would be a good date to go for (if the 28mm Dark Sphere event will be roughly in September to give people time to get ready, late July seems a fair time to put in an IRE event. It's far enough from the other event, and fits in on this side rather than doing what happened with the LGT where we had a huge gap where nobody planned anything because people thought "Oh, there's an event coming").
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Genghis

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 31, 2018, 12:51:07 AMIf it does work out that there's just not the interest in Nottingham, I might actually be tempted to hold it in Hemel on 28th July...

That's just up the road from me now, and I'm free that weekend at the moment, so I'd definitely be up for that if it happens and 28mm's an option.
"We are the night-born, we are the children of the otherworld, we are the wolves from Antumnos"

TheNephew

I'm sure I could do Hemel too, if it makes it easier for you (and helps you grow your local ][ scene).

Cortez

I won't be able to do any events before late November/December and it would really need to be in Nottingham. Getting down to London is just too expensive to do more than once a year.

Van Helser

I've probably had my fun for this year.  For future though, I'd say Dark Sphere is pretty accessible, but not sure about Hemel Hempstead.  Guess I'd have to get to London and then find a way out of the city.  That might be a bit problematic.  With planning anything is doable I suppose.

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Van Helser on June 01, 2018, 09:50:58 PMGuess I'd have to get to London and then find a way out of the city.
Hemel is on the West Coast mainline out of Euston (four trains an hour, mostly those to Birmingham or Northampton), and the club venue is about the same distance as WHW is from the station. (A long but not unthinkable distance to walk, but with public transport as a viable alternative).

It's not quite as well connected as London or Nottingham, but it isn't particularly hard to get to. It's also about 10 minutes drive from the M1 and M25 (although most routes will probably encounter Hemel's "Magic Roundabout" on the way. It's a masterwork of road design, but some drivers can find it quite intimidating).

~~~~~

However, right now it's looking like I might try and hold the IRE day in Nottingham. I have had a few potential interested responses (mostly from 28mm players so far), and I checking things I think my club might actually be trying to use the Saturday I thought would be an open day pretty much exclusively for a Guild Ball tournament, so it might be it wouldn't be viable to run anything in Hemel that day anyway.

Quote from: Cortez on June 01, 2018, 06:48:37 PMI won't be able to do any events before late November/December and it would really need to be in Nottingham.
It's possible something might get planned for about then.

I'm not personally committing to doing it (as by then I might actually like to have an event where I haven't got to worry about having to do all the paperwork for it - as I'll have run three and a half events by that point in 2018, I think I might be exempted from having to put together any more), but that is not too close to anything that's currently being planned, so it's about the time of year I might imagine someone else putting something.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I've got no hope of any event now that occurs before mid august. No chance of attending. September is my earliest open period.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

realitybytes16

While I hesitate to confirm anything due to my directionally-challenge nature and my (STILL!) complete lack of any complete 54mm minis, the MoM event was the most fun I've ever had at a tabletop and I'd love to give the game another go.
This week I'll be way too busy to work on anything because it's Fight Week at university and thanks to non-commital scene partners I'm way behind (plus rapier and dagger is exhausting, so even when I'm home the lure of video games and Netflix is rather strong because minimal effort is required ^^) but next week is the start of the summer holiday, so hopefully I can tidy my desk and FINALLY get a warband in the works. I'd only be available before September though.

MarcoSkoll

Well, I've updated the first post with currently planned events.

The only thing we've currently got planned before September is "Guardian", on the 11th August (although current responses mean that's going to be a 28mm event, unless we get quite a few more responses from 54mm players to expand it to both).

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I'm putting this out there without much expectation of interest, but what would people say to the idea of an IGT in late November or December?

I know I already co-opted the format for the Sunday at the London GT and some may already see that as the IGT for this year, but I think we need to organise a 54mm event in Nottingham so that we actually have one this year. (Everything else has been/will be in London and/or was/is 28mm scale).

Unless someone else is going to be responsible for the organising, I don't think I can responsibly put together another narrative event this year, given I've still got a lot of prep work for the London event I'll be running in a few weeks, but because the writing/prep effort is spread around for an IGT (until the day proper), I could certainly start the wheels moving on that.

Of course, if anyone has the willingness to organise a narrative event themselves, I'll happily cede to them (and can certainly bring any of my terrain or assets to help them out - I already proved I could get my Paraelix terrain to Nottingham when it came to Guardian last month).

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Just a heads up, but apparently GW is altering GWHQ so that we no longer "have" to book ahead - instead it's first come first served on the day, just turn up.
Also, they're adding tables, apparently.
The new just turned up on my FB feed.

As for an IGT this late in the year, it's a hard maybe for me. I can make the 3rd Nov, but a trip up north could be fiddly - I'll have to investigate before a final confirmation.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Yes, I've just seen that, and have written a very grumpy response (along with a great many others, seemingly) - it's just not viable to use somewhere as a central location if you can't be absolutely sure that you'll get the tables you need.

Hopefully the out-cry is sufficient that they have to keep some form of booking option, even if it's just on an "you have to convince us you really need it, sign a legally binding contract and provide three character references" basis.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Yes, I'd just love taking a flight and booking hotels for two nights to find I've got nowhere to play...

Regarding an IGT before the end of the year, I wouldn't be able to attend. 

Hopeful of putting in an appearance next year though.

Ruaridh