Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Eisenhorn!

Started by Cortez, February 27, 2018, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

So GW are releasing a new Eisenhorn novel and a shiny new model to go with it: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/The-Magos-Collection-2018

Anyone else tempted? Not as nice a model as the old 54mm version, but I may still get it.

MarcoSkoll

It's a reasonable model but I'm not fantastically interested. It's not something nice enough I'd want it to just have it, and I have no ideas for using it in conversions, so it falls resoundingly onto my "meh" list.

As an aside, I note it's somewhat anachronistic. One of the community articles (and apparently the rules) claim he carries the bolt pistol he got from Librarian Brytnoth, but he lost that long before his runestaff was made. They've adjusted the non-specific pistol he was carrying on the Omnibus cover to become this bolt pistol (which was green, in any case).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

My reaction is basically the same as yours Marco.
Plus my addition of "I don't really feel like playing with named GW characters in my 40k games anymore" (Cypher is the exception).
Part of me always wanted roughly this version from the front cover of the omnibus, but this variation of that theme is just... erm... well for some reason, my enthusiasm is limited.
It's very nice, and all, and on a technical level I feel sort of impressed, but otherwise... eh.

I'm very interested in reading the Magos book that just arrived though!
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Lord Borak

I got mine! I got it for the sake of getting it to be honest. For no real reason other than I didn't want to regret not getting it. He will probably sit in a draw for god knows how many years but with him, Sly Marbo and the Artel Arbite I have the makings of a 28mm Inquisitor Warband!

realitybytes16

I'm kind of on the same page as Borak regarding the model - I love the character so I know I would regret not buying it (almost wish I'd bought two although I'm not really sure why). However the new book made me ecstatic, and it was such a good read I got through it in a week, and every other book I've tried to read this year has been a false start. Just hope Penitent isn't too far off now, but I'll wait as long as is necessary ^^.

mcjomar

I too hope Penitent releases soonish this year.
Pariah was an interesting perspective to read from, so I'm curious to see how things go next.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

realitybytes16

Honestly, I think it'll be a while yet.

In the intro for the new book, Dan talks about how he basically wrote it by accident as a way to bring several of his short stories together, and he also namedrops Penitent and its sequel Pandaemonium, but says he's 'going to write them soon...they've taken a number' which tells me he probably hasn't started it yet. He writes quickly though, and I think much of the delay is due to event series and other, time-sensitive obligations (such as the lacklustre I Am Slaughter) plus life. This series is obviously more something he writes because he WANTS to, which is probably why they're largely superior. I suspect in a couple of years we'll hear some rumblings, although I'll honestly wait as long as it takes - since finishing The Magos I've endeavoured to read the entire saga (including short stories) in chronological order, from the short story Pestilence (included in The Magos) to Pariah. There's a helpful chronology in the new book too. So hopefully by the time I finish Pariah again we'll be a few months closer to Penitent :P.

mcjomar

Good point.
I've started slowly chewing my way through the Beast Arises saga.
I'm about to start book 6.
When I've got the full set (all in hardback of course) I'll have quite the dilemma of "keep or sell", as I'm not currently sure if I'd want to read it all again.

TheNephew

So how many Eisenhorn-verse books have I missed since the end of the Ravenor trilogy?

Heroka Vendile

none, there was a fair bit of talk about a Bequin-based trilogy, but that's never arrived (I think it hit the back-burner most significantly when Dan Abnett was out ill for a year or so)

I stand corrected
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

mcjomar

I think Pariah is the closest we've got to the start of the Bequin trilogy, given that more books are planned for that series.

realitybytes16

Quote from: TheNephew on March 06, 2018, 06:42:49 PM
So how many Eisenhorn-verse books have I missed since the end of the Ravenor trilogy?

Pariah, which is the first of the Bequin Trilogy (Penitent and Pandaemonium being the forthcoming sequels as mentioned above) and The Magos, which contains almost all of the Eisenhorn-verse short stories, along with a new full-length novel that acts as a major prologue to Pariah (and raises some VERY interesting questions for the rest of the Bequin trilogy!)

As for their quality, I'd rate Pariah higher than the Ravenor books but lower than the original Eisenhorn trilogy, and The Magos just below Pariah - both are highly worthwhile reads though, especially if you like Eisenhorn as a character.