Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New Year, New Sculpting Log

Started by maglash1017, May 11, 2018, 01:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maglash1017

Since my initial posts a while ago, I have been working on sharpening my sculpting skills by making all sorts of NPC's to go along with my hive city terrain project. Thought I'd post up some WIP's to get some feedback. Tips from more advanced sculptors would be greatly appreciated.

The last three sculpts are meant to be servitors that will become part of the terrain, so I was less concerned with detail there.
(You can enlarge the pictures by clicking them)

MarcoSkoll

Those pictures are all hidden from my end - I don't know if you can see them, but I certainly can't.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

maglash1017

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 11, 2018, 12:38:46 PM
Those pictures are all hidden from my end - I don't know if you can see them, but I certainly can't.

I forgot to make the album public on Google Photos...  ::)  I really shouldnt be posting at 2 in the morning. They should be fixed now!

Van Helser

Wow.  All look like they're leaping out of artwork from a rulebook.  Great stuff.

cymrilian

they look awesome. the face on the first one is particularly wonderful. and the aesthetic on them are great, though i wonder whether the feet are a tad small?

TheNephew

Brilliant.
As Van Helser said, the almost-cartoony proportions are fantastic, as are the poses and Blanche-y gubz.
How do they scale against 'official' sculpts?

mcjomar

Quote from: Van Helser on May 11, 2018, 04:41:16 PM
Wow.  All look like they're leaping out of artwork from a rulebook.  Great stuff.

Exactly my thinking.
This is some very good sculpting work.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

realitybytes16

maglash1017

Finished the hive city worker and did a bit of work on the chap with the scroll and gas mask. I realize that the pose on the first guy seems a bit iffy but this is mainly becaise of the angle the photo was taken from. Still, this is a good learning experience: with the other figure I tried my best to make figure look interesting and anatomically correct from every possible angle, which is hard, but I think it helps to "sell" a mini to the viewer. I also finished two servo-skulls I had started working on a while ago. I received a bag of 200 bases in the mail today so I built some bases for them that will hopefully blend well with my hive city terrain project.

I had a lot of a fun adding details with a bag of small gears I bought from greenstuffworld.

Comments and critique appreciated as always!

realitybytes16

I am consistently awed by the exceptional sculpting work on display on the 'clave. the face on the first one is just fantastic. Do you plan to cast these up or just have them as one-of-a-kind sculpts?

maglash1017

Finished painting the first hive city inhabitant. His tool broke off on both ends so the finished product will be ready when I get some new superglue. Here it is from sketch to final paintstroke.

The Servo skulls got painted up as well.

On both miniatures I used real rust I made by dumping steel wool in a container with bleach and vinegar (be careful, as this can produce toxic gasses). Its more work but it produces the best-looking rust I have seen so far.

Quote from: TheNephew on May 12, 2018, 01:46:07 PM
As Van Helser said, the almost-cartoony proportions are fantastic, as are the poses and Blanche-y gubz.
Although I love the compliments, "cartoony" proportions are a result of not being really adept at sculpting yet, not of great design skills. ;D

Quote from: TheNephew on May 12, 2018, 01:46:07 PM
How do they scale against 'official' sculpts?
Wouldn't know as I don't own any yet.

Quote from: realitybytes16 on May 17, 2018, 09:43:54 PM
Do you plan to cast these up or just have them as one-of-a-kind sculpts?
If people are interested I would be up for casting my work. I have even thought about sculpting one or more mini's for the lovely people here, but I'd like to get at least a little better at it first. I'd also have learn how to sculpt without underruns, maybe dividing a mini in parts and other problems associated with casting.

realitybytes16

Quote from: maglash1017 on June 02, 2018, 05:40:00 PM
If people are interested I would be up for casting my work. I have even thought about sculpting one or more mini's for the lovely people here, but I'd like to get at least a little better at it first. I'd also have learn how to sculpt without underruns, maybe dividing a mini in parts and other problems associated with casting.

Well, when you're in a position to cast some up I'll likely be interested, as despite the fact I'm bad at actually getting minis painted I do still like hoarding parts :D.

maglash1017

Minor update. Got some zenithal primer action going on with these 2 minis and did some painting work. I'll post an update (and better pictures) soon.

MarcoSkoll

The first image is permission denied.
However, what I can see is looking to be quite a nice interpretation of a more "average" side of the Imperium.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

maglash1017

I think its fixed now.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 05, 2018, 03:02:35 AM
what I can see is looking to be quite a nice interpretation of a more "average" side of the Imperium.

Exactly what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to populate my hive city and explore a side of the 40k universe that's not seen a lot.