Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Pariah rules

Started by Inquisitor Cerberus, May 15, 2018, 02:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Cerberus

Is there rules for Pariahs?  I sort of remember them but I can't find them.  Thanks in advance

Koval

Well, there were official rules once upon a time -- Ivixia Dannica's rules, if you can find them, came with a set for her Pariah companion called Jeremiah, and there's also an official rule set for a Culexus Assassin knocking around (I don't recommend trying to find it though, as GW somehow managed to turn the damn thing psychic).

However, many of us have taken different approaches.

What I recommend you do, and I'm not just saying this because it's something I did, is check out the download in this thread -- it's primarily about psykers and psychic powers, but because of that, there are rules for Untouchables in there that are both more detailed and (IMO) less clumsy than GW's own take on the matter.

MarcoSkoll

In case there's any confusion, I've moved your threads. The roleplay boards (both In Character and Out of Character) relate to the forum's play-by-post roleplays (although we haven't had one in ages!). I've changed the descriptions of the boards to hopefully make it clear for people in future.

I've moved your introduction thread to the Community announcements section (where people will actually be able to properly greet you as a member of the community, as we don't break character in the IC section), and your gameplay questions have been moved to the Inquisitor Game Discussion section.

~~~~~

As far as finding old rules, the first place to look is the pinned "Inquisitor PDFs" thread at the top of the Game Discussion board:
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34.0

The various downloads do include the official Pariah rules (although they actually first appeared on Sgt Black, rather than Jeremiah).
They are fairly simplistic though, and not staggeringly well balanced - they convey a massive advantage that can frequently break games (complete immunity to psychic powers for the Pariah, -50 to any psychic power used or targeted within 10 yards of the Pariah), so I feel they need a trade off.

My version of the official rules tapers off the aura by -5 per yard from the Pariah (so at 6 yards, the aura would only be -20), and I mix in the "Distrust" rule from Dark Magenta's psychology article (again, also in the PDFs thread - Issue 1 specifically).
This means any allies starting their turn within 10 yards of the Pariah are at -1 speed, because the Pariah's unnatural aura means that their allies simply cannot bring themselves to fully trust them, and are therefore always wary in their presence.
(Also, to be honest, many Pariahs are going to be complete A-holes as a result of having been shunned all their life, so they may genuinely not be all that trustworthy).

This forces a gameplay trade off - while characters can get a considerable defence against psykers, they can't just constantly casually hang close to the Pariah "just in case".
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cerberus

Cheers gents and sorry for putting stuff in the wrong places.  I will sort it out. 
Managed to track down a few different ones and think a combo of them might work, will play it by ear and mess with it as games unfold

Heroka Vendile

Van Helser re-wrote the Culexus Assassin rules from scratch some moons ago (and a scratch-built model too). We did a bit of play testing, but the conversations get very meta when you're having to discus if a psyker is able to detect a moving absence of a net-zero psychic phenomena... ultimately we decided it was a GM only tool to be used with extreme discretion.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on May 17, 2018, 09:08:09 PM
Van Helser re-wrote the Culexus Assassin rules from scratch some moons ago (and a scratch-built model too). We did a bit of play testing, but the conversations get very meta when you're having to discus if a psyker is able to detect a moving absence of a net-zero psychic phenomena, like a sentient black hole... ultimately we decided it was a GM only tool to be used with extreme discretion.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy