Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Abyss - 3rd November, 28mm, Dark Sphere Megastore

Started by MarcoSkoll, May 30, 2018, 01:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Abyss is a narrative 28mm scale Inquisitor event, set around the trial of a Radical Inquisitor.

3 November from 11:00-18:00 @ Dark Sphere Shepherd's Bush Megastore (Unit 8, W12 Shopping Centre, W12 8PP London, United Kingdom)

The day will be three rounds of gaming in a narrative campaign, using the Inquisitor Living Rulebook (with a few standard community tweaks) as a ruleset.
Event pack

The event is ticketed to cover table hire (and help manage the turn-out), with a price of £5.
The ticket link is here

"Warbands" will not have to be Inquisition-themed - many factions and individuals will have an interest in influencing the outcome. Players will have a choice between four broad philosophies:

Adherents: Those who consider the law above all (e.g. Monodominants, Arbites)
Renegades: Those who consider themselves above the law (e.g. Xanthites, Adeptus Mechanicus)
Moderates: Those who believe that the law is important, but nonetheless malleable (e.g. more pragmatic Inquisitors)
Anarchists: Those who would destabilise the law entirely (e.g. Heretics, Traitors, Xenos)

~~~~~

Original Post:

As a case of not completely sitting on my arse, I'm starting to look into that Dark Sphere 28mm event I mentioned.

I'm hoping to scoop some possible players into a Facebook group, so I can then start doing polling on what dates would work for people:
https://www.facebook.com/events/412932725779061/

The format will be pretty standard for our events (Saturday, lightly house-ruled LRB, a story playing out over three rounds), except that the intention is that it will be a 28mm event.
(And although I had earlier suggested it might be otherwise, probably exclusively 28mm - although I do like having both scales alongside each other, only having to worry about one will make the planning at least a mite easier for me).

EDIT: Date likely in August to October, probably September.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Genghis

I'm well up for this; assuming it's a date I can make, I'll be there.  (In the interests of avoiding double counting of interest, I'm one of the 'tentatives' on the FB page.)
"We are the night-born, we are the children of the otherworld, we are the wolves from Antumnos"

TheNephew

Yup, I'm up for Dark Sphere if I'm free.
Is there a ballpark time/date for it?

Happy_Nurgling

Assuming the date fits, and Chaos willing I'm up for it.

Time to work up a 28mm warband.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on May 30, 2018, 06:00:39 PM
Yup, I'm up for Dark Sphere if I'm free.
Is there a ballpark time/date for it?
Doh. I've remembered to include this some places, but not all. Probably August to October time, most likely September.

(Late July isn't impossible*, but I would like a decent lead up to give people time to get ready, but August is likely to be holiday time).

* This is a more likely time for me to squeeze in an IRE playtest, I think, as I need fewer people and I'm expecting more of the people who might be interested to be ready at shorter notice, rather than having half finished models that they haven't yet had an excuse to finish).

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

First planning update - although I'll probably get on to Dark Sphere about dates tomorrow (as it'll be June, and they're likely to have their calendar open further), I've started thinking about plot ideas.

Looking through my ideas notebook, one idea that I'm quite liking for this event is centring things around the trial of a Radical Inquisitor.

In this, players would be looking to uncover, interpret, potentially tamper with, and present evidence for and against the Inquisitor leading up to the Radical's trial, as well as secure the political power to be able to sway the trial.

This would at its core be a conflict between Puritans (seeking to uphold the law of the Inquisition) and Radicals (seeking to uphold the legitimacy of their methods), but there will certainly be room for other factions.

I know we've yet to sort out which players would actually be at the event, but I'd like to get a preliminary idea of whether we'd be able to get a decent spread of philosophies for some proper conflict.

At the moment, I'm thinking about four factions:
- Law-abiding - those who believe that the law is above all.
(e.g. Strong Puritans, Arbites, Ecclesiarchy)

- Rebellious - those who believe themselves above the law
(e.g. Radicals, Rogue Traders, Adeptus Mechanicus)

- Moderates - those who (perhaps paradoxically) believe the Inquisition requires both independence and oversight...
(e.g more tolerant but not necessarily Radical Inquisitors)

- Anarchists - those who would simply use this as a chance to destabilise the Inquisition.
(e.g. Heretics, Chaos, certain Xenos, possibly Istvaanians)

I know many of you will have a choice, but for a story like this, which would your first choice of characters for the day likely fall into?

This is also a poll on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/412932725779061/413619815710352/

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

The pile of bits I'm generously calling my current project is a Rogue Trader (no make-up in sight), who necessarily needs a strong and stable Imperium to trade in - so either sticking his nose where it doesn't belong in the name of Law'n'Orda, or in the name of Moderately sensible behaviour all round.

Of course, being a Rogue Trader, it's not hard to pivot his stance a little to suit the narrative balance required, depending on the accused's crimes.

MarcoSkoll

Second planning update!

The voting on faction and philosophy has been beautifully divisive so far, so it seems like the trial of a Radical Inquisitor is a good basis for the disagreements and differences of philosophy that help drive Inquisitor as a game, so I'm already working up a full set of plans for that as the theme of the event (with the working title of "Abyss").

I've phoned Dark Sphere, and their dates are reasonably free this far in advance. September seems like a decent time to put the event (it gives people more time to prepare than July, people are most likely to be on holiday in August, and it's not as far away as October), so I'm going to open voting for then.

I will need to check whether I myself will be free on a couple of the Saturdays, but for the moment, tell me which Saturdays you'd be free for in September (1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th), and I'll work out which dates are most viable.

You can also vote on the poll on Facebook if you would prefer: https://www.facebook.com/events/412932725779061/permalink/414019859003681/

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

September is a good month for me as I'll have had time to wind down from summer.
And it gives me time to easily finish 28mm mordecai, or take a stab at finishing jack.

Anytime that month. I've voted on facebook.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Now we've started to get an idea of who's available when, I've been talking with Dark Sphere.

The date currently leading the voting, the 29th of September is a Magic pre-release day, so their normal Waterloo store will be packed, so we would need to book for the second location they are currently in the process of opening, in Shepherd's Bush.

I'm assuming this is unlikely to present a major issue for anyone - it's only five miles different, and still very much in the middle of London's public transport network - but if anyone has any important objections, let me know.

If necessary, I'll go for one of the dates earlier in the month. (The options of the 1st and 8th aren't far behind in the vote, but they'll be closer behind things I'm doing at the end of August, so they are a reserve choice at the moment).

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I think dates around then generally work for me at the moment.

Genghis

Have we got a date confirmed for this event yet?  I really want to go, but there's only so long I can hold a whole month free... ;)
"We are the night-born, we are the children of the otherworld, we are the wolves from Antumnos"

TheNephew

Any movement on this?
I'm fighting to keep as much of September free as possible, but I'm inevitably going to start losing free weekends soon.

mcjomar

Same.
And is it still 28mm?
My mordecai warband is complete, but I'd like to know if I should also consider dropping everything to build 28mm Jack.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Sorry, the limiting factor here has been that the preferential date for this has for some time been the 29th, but other than telling me that their Lambeth store was having a Magic release weekend, Dark Sphere couldn't give me a definitive answer about when the West London store would be ready to start taking bookings.

They're now starting to circulate publicity for that store, so I've re-contacted them about the date, although at this point I'm thinking I probably need to take a new ballot about date to decide whether this needs to be moved back into October to make sure people still have enough notice.

Quote from: mcjomar on August 26, 2018, 07:51:43 AMAnd is it still 28mm?
Definitely, as part of the point is to test 28mm player numbers around the London area to know whether it could be safely included as part of a future London GT.

GW's =I= articles