Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Abyss - 3rd November, 28mm, Dark Sphere Megastore

Started by MarcoSkoll, May 30, 2018, 01:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

None of the voters said that they couldn't do a 19:00 finish, so the end time has been pushed back an hour to give us extra gaming time.

Also, the first draft of the player pack has been released:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/89b3z3amxezdm3e/2018+Abyss+Pack+V0-1.pdf

Quote from: Sticklefront on September 26, 2018, 07:19:17 PMI have a few odds-and-ends that i've converted for fun, but I've been motivated to make a completely new "warband" for this event.
Sounds good! If running more open events is motivating anyone to get more out of their hobby, then it's a success for the community.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Tickets are now available for Abyss, and the ticket link will be available until Sunday 28th October at 23:59 (the Sunday before the event, in order to give me a little time to optimise the narrative for the expected turn out).

After this point, you will have to contact me directly.

There are currently 16 spaces available, although I will look into increasing this if early interest is high.

GW's =I= articles

Sticklefront

(Cross posted from the FB event page)

Hi! I'm putting paint to plastic on my Inquisitor and Pals, and am looking to writing a bit of background bumpf around their presence at Carren's trial.

Just wanted to ask... is the event taking part in a pre-existing setting... like, is this your own Sector/Planet? And if so... is it/are they named already? I want to make sure my characters slot in without causing anyone a headache 😉

Cheers!

MarcoSkoll

As far as the general setting, this will be within the Abraxis sector, which is sort of a blank slate right now.

Back in 2009, Kaled contrived the idea of the Carthax sector (its wiki is here) as a community setting, which meant that even if there wasn't a direct narrative from one event to the next, there was at least a continuity - and keeping it in a somewhat restricted area also helps explain why the same characters keep running into each other.

Carthax was a brilliant idea, but it's almost exclusively used for 54mm. Abraxis has come along later as a 28mm equivalent, so that players aren't dropped into a setting written by a load of people and featuring a load of characters they'll never get to interact with on the table.

Abraxis borders the Dalthus Sector that The Ammobunker set up, in order that it's plausible for characters from that setting to appear, but the development is being handled on a more ad-hoc basis, keeping the big picture somewhat vague so that it's harder to write things into a corner down the line.

It's yet to get a wiki - partly because it's only been used for three small events so far, and partly because I've yet to decide whether it should be separate from the Carthax one or whether to re-organise the Carthax wiki to cover both and keep all the Inquisitory goodness in the same place.

As far as broad details, it's out towards the Eastern Fringe, there are some sub-sector names (and rough descriptions)...

... and currently it's suffering from being on the fringes of a warp storm (the last event saw the players fail to deflect an oncoming warp storm).

But other than that, it hasn't even really got many planet names or major NPCs set up. People like the sector governor, head of the sector conclave, etc still aren't named. Now that Abraxis is starting to be more used, I'll probably fill in some of the big gaps (once I decide how to handle the wiki), but mostly the intent is to let people add new bits as they're needed.

The event won't be happening on any single world within the Abraxis sector though. Different scenarios will be happening in different places, as Inquisitor Carren has been at large through large portions of the sector, so the evidence both for and against him is widely spread.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

MarcoSkoll

Greetings all!

Those of you specifically watching this event were deliberately notified first about tickets going on sale, but I'm now about to start advertising the event more widely in order to fill up more of the spaces.

I know from the ticket sales feedback that not everyone who's recently expressed interest has grabbed their ticket yet, so make sure you don't miss out!

https://billetto.co.uk/e/310943

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Okay, I think I've got that weekend clear.
my remaining dilemma is which warband to choose:
Mordecai's warband is painted.
Samantha's warband is not painted, and Jack is not built. I could paint what I have, say Jack and x personnel are off on other missions while Samantha's attention is here, but that wouldn't be much fun without Jack.

It doesn't help that I'm scrambling like mad to paint about 21 guard to a good standard for kill team:
I've painted 10 kasrkin.
I've got 6 Not-Kasrkin to paint
5 Tempestus Scions to paint
10 guard to paint, comprising:
1 Praetorian
1 Savlar sergeant who is wearing a greatcoat, commissar style.
1 explorator with a flamer (GSC convert)
1 catachan with a flamer (mixed parts like mad)
2 cadians (one with a meltagun)
1 ex-imperial navy guy who is now guard.
3 cadians with green (or red) berets.

All for a halloween event a few days beforehand.

Mordecai is probably my best bet. No explanation for it, but still...
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Ticket sales for Abyss have been lower than expected compared to the responses I'd received previously.

If you have not purchased your ticket because you now wish to or need to back out, PLEASE ACTUALLY TELL ME, because the number of tables booked was based on people's responses, and otherwise we will be paying for the hire of tables we're not using.
(And if it's a case that you're not attending because you don't like something about the event, it would be appreciated if you could explain what that is).

Otherwise, please purchase a ticket sooner rather than later (or at least inform me that you'll be buying later), as based on current numbers I am going to have to scale back our booking and there may not actually be space for you if you delay.

This event was intended partially to test the water for an ongoing series of events and a community-wide running narrative where people could link their own stories into a bigger picture, but if we stumble at the first hurdle, that cannot happen.

GW's =I= articles

Sticklefront

I've finished a boatload of models today, more than I need if I'm being honest!  ;D

If you're left with extra costs because of bailers/no shows, I'm happy to put in a little more. It shouldn't land on you, that's not cool. Same if we want extra tables or whatever, just lemme know.

How's the spread of participants looking? I can muster warbands for any of the factions at this point, so do you need any particular slots filled?

mcjomar

Ditto - I had to hold off my ticket due to budget, but it's purchased now.
I can try to support with costs, but please don't ask me until just after the 26th (I don't get paid till then).

I'm hoping to get my remaining guard killteam models painted this week to give me just enough time to throw at painting other models just in case I want to use someone other than Mordecai for this event.

"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

TheNephew

Frustratingly, these London events seem to be convenient enough that folks don't feel the need to commit ahead of time.

I'll be there, and am also happy to chip in so you aren't caught with an over-sized table hire fee Marco.

mcjomar

Okay, most of my killteam are now done aside from some (probably unnecessary) scions.

I've got an idea for an Abraxis-specific Inquisitor, and I've picked out a couple of good minis to use for his entourage - I may need to expand it further due to casualties/events? Is it advisable to have a larger stable of characters to choose from across an event like this in case of injuries?

The theme is hats - no helmets.

I'll skim the player pack and see where I'm at. Thankfully with my rushing the killteam painting, I now have two weeks to get this done - if I try to maintain pace, not only will I have my minis for the event painted, but I might even have a surplus, and still manage to paint those scions. Cross fingers!

E: Looks like I only need to paint 2 minis, and I'll be good to go.
I've got one already, plus 3 guard minis from the killteam stuff I just painted.
I'm thinking the 3 guard are either individual chars, or maybe just an NPC mob, not sure yet.
Thoughts?

E2: Here's the painted group.
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2846.0
I've got some basic stats together for the first three, but not yet for the minions.
No real backstory just yet, but this group will be purely for Abraxis events.

MarcoSkoll

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE

All three of the stations in the vicinity of Dark Sphere West are affected by engineering work on the 3rd November.

- Shepherd's Bush will be running no National Rail services, and Overground services will ONLY be running to/from the south. The Central Line is  unaffected.
- Goldhawk Road and Shepherd's Bush Market are closed entirely, due to the closure of the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines.

For more details on replanning your journey, see the following links:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/203638.aspx
https://tfl.gov.uk/tube-dlr-overground/status/?Input=&lineIds=&dateTypeSelect=Future%20date&direction=&startDate=2018-11-03T00%3a00%3a00&endDate=2018-11-03T23%3a59%3a59

Bear in mind that the District and Metropolitan lines will also be closed between all stations that coincide with either the Circle or Hammersmith lines, as they use the same tracks.

If necessary, consider bus services instead.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

If you are joining us for Abyss, please post some basic details on the philosophy of your intended character choice.

It's important you do this as soon as possible, even if it's just a few short bullet points.
Due to ticket sales being lower than hoped, I can no longer just assume that there will be a decent spread of philosophies, and I may need to adjust parts of the event to ensure that you all still get a good experience.

(For example, if the turn-out is going to be heavily Puritan, I will need to shift the evidence for/against Carren to make his actions more reasonable so that there are still people willing to speak for him, rather than all the players immediately agreeing to burn him at the stake! Inquisitor doesn't work well without conflict and drama).

EDIT: So you know, the final ticket numbers were 5, with the fifth being sold half an hour from the deadline.

It's a lot less than I hoped for, but the numbers jumping from four to five people (or even six, if I player-GM) at the eleventh hour is enough to let me split the plot on to two tables (assuming everyone turns up!), which means more story, as well the slightly grander sense of scale from the knowledge that important things are happening elsewhere.

I'm still going to have to adjust our table reservation, but it's just enough to take it from being a tiny mini-plot to a story with a bit more sense of scale.

GW's =I= articles