Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Guardian (IRE playtest day) - 11th August @ WHW

Started by MarcoSkoll, June 01, 2018, 05:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Guardian
Warhammer World, 11th August

Tales of old tell of The Guardian - a formidable warrior who felled the ancient beast Shadowblight.

Inquisitorial Scholars agree that the tale is a metaphor manufactured when the Inquisition was but young, a lie to hide the truth from the weak minded - Shadowblight was a warp storm of gargantuan magnitude, destined to cut off the sector from the light of the Astronomican.

The Inquisition's Navigators have read the tides of the Warp, the Emperor's Tarot shows dark omens and the Great Rift stains the sky; such darkness is coming again.
To protect the sector, the Inquisition must un-weave their own mystery, and rediscover the Guardian.

~~~~~

A one-day narrative Inquisitor event, which will be using some of the games on the day to playtest the latest version of the Inquisitor Revised Edition rules.

The event is planned to be 28mm scale based on responses from players so far, but can be opened to 54mm players as well if enough people express interest.

The Player Pack can be found here.

~~~~~

Original post:

As I've already alluded to in other places, I'd like to run the next playtest day for the Inquisitor Revised Edition sometime this year.

This will still be a normal narrative day with an underlying story to back it up (it'll just be that any games I GM will be using the Revised Edition rules*), and so I'm proposing that it helps fill in the currently empty schedule for Warhammer World this year.
*And IRE deliberately tries to keep the feel of original Inquisitor, with a very high degree of back compatibility, so it's not like you're going to be playing something grossly different.

I'm currently trying to phone WHW about dates, but I'm not currently getting more than an answer-phone. If people can pre-emptively rule out any of the following dates:

21st July
28th July
4th August
11th August

... then I'll know to avoid them if at all possible when I get through on the phone.
(My personal favourite would be 11th August, as this avoids me having to miss or work around other things, but I can do the others if absolutely necessary).

At the moment, I have a few potentially interested responses from 28mm scale players, but very few from 54mm players - I'm fine with this being a 28mm event, but it may be that we're not going to have (m)any other events in Nottingham this year!
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Genghis

I can do 28 Jul or 11 Aug, but am 28mm only.  Of note, 04 Aug is the Bring Out Your Lead weekend at Foundry in Newark, I don't know how much overlap there is between Inq & the Oldhammer communities, but thought I ought to point it out.
"We are the night-born, we are the children of the otherworld, we are the wolves from Antumnos"

mcjomar

4th or 11th of august.
As mentioned elsewhere july is just too busy for me.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

I have now booked the Necromunda Sector Mechanicus table and two standard tables at Warhammer World on the 11th August. (Unfortunately, Mining Facility 42 was already spoken for :'( ).

And with that, I announce Guardian:

Guardian
Warhammer World, 11th August

Tales of old tell of The Guardian - a formidable warrior who felled the ancient beast Shadowblight.

Inquisitorial Scholars agree that the tale is a metaphor manufactured when the Inquisition was but young, a lie to hide the truth from the weak minded - Shadowblight was a warp storm of gargantuan magnitude, destined to cut off the sector from the light of the Astronomican.

The Inquisition's Navigators have read the tides of the Warp, the Emperor's Tarot shows dark omens and the Great Rift stains the sky; such darkness is coming again.
To protect the sector, the Inquisition must un-weave their own mystery, and rediscover the Guardian.

~~~~~

Guardian will be a one-day narrative Inquisitor event, which will be using some of the games on the day to playtest the latest version of the Inquisitor Revised Edition rules.

The event is planned to be 28mm scale based on responses from players so far, but can be opened to 54mm players as well if enough people express interest.

GW's =I= articles

Genghis

Looking at the Warhammer World website, I noticed the following: "All models must be Games Workshop in full. This does not extend to bases, but includes all weapons, heads, arms legs, wings and so on."

Has any exemption been granted for this event?  If not I'm severely constrained in what I've got that's eligible*, and certainly haven't got a cohesive warband with a sensible backstory and depth of character.

*3 Frateris Militia, an Ogryn, a Pit Slave and an Astropath - that's literally it.
"We are the night-born, we are the children of the otherworld, we are the wolves from Antumnos"

MarcoSkoll

We haven't got any special exemption, but I certainly won't be enforcing the rule myself.

As far as the staff, they don't have the time to police the entire venue with a fine-tooth comb, and you'll be at an event where basically everything is heavily converted, OOP or outright scratch-built.
In eight years, the only imposter I've seen the staff spot was an unpainted WIP model in GW-has-never-sold-this-shade-of resin that someone had left out in the middle of a model-dumping table we'd deliberately set out as a display to attract people's attention.

(And that includes back when we used to get the staff to score the painting/modelling competition at the IGTs!)

I wouldn't be concerned, but if you are, I can probably offer up one of my own warbands for loan. (I know that's not ideal, but it is an option).

GW's =I= articles

Genghis

Cool, that's my concerns pretty much assuaged.  Having never played there before I had no idea how strictly this sort of thing is enforced.  I might throw together some emergency character sheets for my pure GW models just in case, but will plan on bringing one of my coherent warbands as Plan A.

mcjomar

Given that it's the weekend before my birthday I think I can swing it. I hope.

I'll be bringing both scales.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

I've just finished putting together the draft version of the player pack for Guardian: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1cbv2zu5lged9x8/Inquisitor+Guardian+Player+Pack+V0-1.pdf

It's possible that some details will be updated as the event gets closer, but this should set out at least a general picture of how the event will be run.

GW's =I= articles

Genghis

Having not attended a Conclave event before, I'd appreciate a bit of guidance on the appropriate sort of character to bring as my principal protagonist for this event. 

My fall-back plan is my Rogue Trader, who I can easily see getting mixed up in this sort of shenanigans, however, I used her in my last Inquisitor campaign and quite fancy a change.  My 2 options (without re-purposing an existing model as a new character - which just wouldn't feel right) are a space mobster boss and an ex-guardsman preacher/cult leader (worships the Emperor, but not sanctioned by the Ecclesiarchy).  I see them both as relatively minor characters on a planetary scale - they're key players in their city, but have minimal wider importance.

Without knowing exactly how the campaign is planned, would such figures find themselves working with the Inquisition to find the Guardian?  Or could it be that an actual Inquisitor has leant on one or other of them (made them an offer they couldn't refuse) and set them on the trail, thus keeping that particular Inquisitor (or other interested party) at arms reach?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Genghis on June 16, 2018, 06:04:28 PMWithout knowing exactly how the campaign is planned, would such figures find themselves working with the Inquisition to find the Guardian?  Or could it be that an actual Inquisitor has leant on one or other of them (made them an offer they couldn't refuse) and set them on the trail, thus keeping that particular Inquisitor (or other interested party) at arms reach?
Those are both possibilities.

There are other variants on that - rather than the Inquisition "making an offer they can't refuse", there's also the possibility that the Inquisition is  manipulating them - there are a lot of very wily Inquisitors out there who can make things happen by whispering the right lies in the ears of the right people.

If the mob boss was never told any more than the myths, he could be lead to believe that the Guardian was a powerful weapon that could elevate his standing above the city scale. Maybe the preacher believes it's a holy relic.
Of course, they might have second thoughts once they start realising exactly what they've got themselves into. They may be already in too deep - or maybe their "patron" Inquisitor sweeps in and makes it clear that quitting is not an option.

(That could actually be quite an interesting concept, characters who start developing an "Oh no, not again" attitude when they realise that they've just fallen for yet another Inquisition "tip-off").

Alternatively, the characters could come to similar conclusions without the Inquisition initiating anything.
It's not unthinkable that a mob boss would have visions of grandeur, looking to elevate himself above merely an annoyance to the local Arbites, and depending on which version of the story he's heard, he might wish to find the valuable artefact... or perhaps he's looking to get himself a favour from the Inquisition by being able to give them what they're looking for.

Or, to be honest, even a low-life of a mob boss doesn't particularly want to see the sector collapse around him as a warp storm tears reality apart, so maybe he's asked a few of his informants to keep an ear to the ground regarding those old legends... he might be acting more selfishly than an Inquisitor, but he does still have a legitimate interest.

And for a preacher/cult leader? Depending on how deranged and/or fanatical he is, he could interpret a dream as a vision from the Emperor, commanding him to lead his flock to rescue the sector from the oncoming threat.

While it can take a bit more thought to think about why non-Inquisitorial characters are getting involved in a story, there's usually the potential.

GW's =I= articles

Genghis

Cool, thank-you for the detailed answer.  I can definitely come up with something that works.  My main concern was not to accidentally turn up with a parochial character that I had to shoehorn into a situation way beyond anything he should reasonably have become involved in.  (Which is not to say, having become 'reasonably' involved in these shenanigans, he subsequently finds himself massively out of his depth...)

Heroka Vendile

how is recruitment for this going on other forms Dave?
I see the event currently has a much lower interest on facebook than the Abyss event (the facebook event does not yet have the finalised date of the 29th Sept btw).
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Quotehow is recruitment for this going on other forms Dave? I see the event currently has a much lower interest on facebook than the Abyss event
I've got three people who sound like they're pretty definite on Ammobunker (although one will be missing the first game).
As far as Facebook, I was always expecting lower interest in Guardian than Abyss, as it's IRE rather than straight Inquisitor - however, I wouldn't be that surprised if it also had a smaller percentage of drop-outs; just a gut feeling relating to the natures of the different events.

I don't think the turnout will be massive (actually, I'm kind of hoping it's not - I've only booked three tables), but it should be respectable.

Quote(the facebook event does not yet have the finalised date of the 29th Sept btw).
When I last talked to Dark Sphere they couldn't yet absolutely finalise that date - it was a case of "our Lambeth store will be absolutely chockablock, but the new store should be open by then" (completely paraphrasing), but when I asked when they could give me something a bit more solid than "should", I didn't really get anything back.

I'm planning to push it with them in the next day or so, but I've been a bit distracted by trying to take over The Conclave (insert "muwhahahaha" here) and get the latest version of the IRE rules ready for Guardian.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

GW's =I= articles