Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Salute - 6th April 2019 @ ExCeL

Started by MarcoSkoll, June 08, 2018, 03:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

EDIT:
VERY URGENT UPDATE:

A spare gaming space has come up at Salute 2019.

Although we didn't get sufficient commitment for any display game before the original Salute submission window, I'm hoping that more people may be able to commit now we are closer to the date.

If you would be interested in bringing Inquisitor to the masses and giving a very significant boost to the visibility of the Inquisitor community, please get in contact ASAP. We only have a very short opening to potentially grab this space.

~~~~~

Original post:

In case there's any doubt about my sanity - yes, I am now planning my third event simultaneously, and yes, that event is the biggest one-day show in the UK.

I've been talking about the idea of putting on a showcase game at Salute for a couple of years now, and as Salute 2019 was announced yesterday on Facebook, I decided I should start making enquiries (even if our ultimate decision is not to do it).
This one wouldn't be an open event like most of ours, but would be an invitational to some of our most dedicated veterans to show off our hobby to several thousand gamers from around the world. (Although you can certainly express your interest in being invited!)

From what I've already heard back from the Warlords, they seem open to having us, it's entirely free to run a game, we can request as much table space as we need (tables are 6' by 2'6") and we get four free passes for the job.

I'm currently assuming we'd probably run a morning game and an afternoon game (I don't think it would be a good idea to stretch one game out over the entire day; I think we want to keep it playing briskly), with a hefty break for people to do some exploring, and that I would be GMing for at least one of those games, but those arrangements could be mixed around heavily. (I might be a player or I might not be involved at all, if we as a community think there's someone better for the job).

I think it's something we could make a good showing of (we have a habit of drawing attention at our other events), and we've shown from the London GT that it's within our wit to run games without the venue supplying crates of terrain, so I think we should really be taking a stab at it.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

i'm sure a rolling day scenario can be written to let poeple join, play and drop out
of course a 54mm marine game'd be an idea ;)
that said, most demo games are designed with 20 mins in mind; perhaps some short form generated on the fly scenarios (think 40ks objectives - draw an objective, you got 4 rounds to complete it) might be an option.

Inquisitor Lite is kinda designed for quick intro games (D10 instead of D100) but quite a way off and i'm not sure if it'd be a good idea alongside Inquisitor ; of course, smaller demo games with cute funzies minis maybe a different tact
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

What I have in mind is an exhibition game rather than a taster game; Basically, we put on a big extravaganza, talk to passers-by and reignite their nostalgia. Our main weapon in grabbing attention would be getting some really cool toys on the table, but you can't really incorporate any of that into a quick taster game.

One possibility would be to write the scenarios with a veritable smorgasbord of NPCs, and let passers-by take over NPCs on a drop-in/drop-out basis.

That said, we have been offered basically any reasonable amount of space, so it certainly wouldn't be out of the question to have both an exhibition game and a taster game.
There is a big argument for that, because I would absolutely love to get both 28mm and 54mm alongside each other; 54mm stuff is really effective at grabbing attention, but 28mm is definitely more practical for most people.

It would be entirely possible to have the "Look at us, we're playing Inquisitor" game at 54mm, but have a "Give it a try" game alongside in 28mm so that people can see that you don't have to be an eBay-scrounging, scratch-building lunatic to get involved.

GW's =I= articles

realitybytes16

Seeing ][ at Salute would make me a very happy Nurgling, as I'll most likely be going anyway due to the presence of Oathsworn Miniatures there.

MarcoSkoll

The Warlords have formally opened game applications for Salute 2019, so I'm looking to get a concrete idea of whether we can do this.

I certainly think that we should - obviously, an exhibition game won't be one of our "normal" events, but it'll give people a chance to get involved in a slightly more planned game than usual, and being at Salute should be great for Inquisitor's profile - but there is the question of whether it's viable.

As far as what we need, I'd like to be looking at a team of five or ideally six people (myself included in that number) so that we have people spare either to stand in as reserve players (in case of absence or illness) or to wax lyrical about Inquisitor to passers-by (without the players/GM constantly having to interrupt the game) - as well as the possibility to split the day into morning/afternoon games with different players.
(I think it'll be best to not try to run one mega game over the entire day, as I'd like the game to actually appear to have some pace!)

I know that not everyone can verify their availability that far in advance, but if we can get some of that number, I'll be happy to chase this down.
In the event that we have a surplus of interest, we can theoretically take a team of up to ten (but while the first four wristbands are free, every one past that has to be paid for). In this case, I'd propose a secret ballot to decide who gets first call on the gaming.

We should be okay terrain wise; things like the rebuild of the old White Dwarf terrain articles that I did for the London GT should serve well, being both (fairly) portable and hopefully playing up the nostalgia to gamers of that era.

So, can we do this?

GW's =I= articles

FreezyGeek

I hope so. Alas, I won't be able to help but I may take a look, providing that I end up going to salute.

TheNephew

I'm in.

I have essentially nothing to contribute to an exhibition table for the usual sidebar of pretty attention-grabbing models, but I'd be very happy to put time into a game.

I'm in favour of having two games to increase the likelihood of each of us having a bit of time to run around and look at the show, should we get the numbers.

Van Helser

Tentatively interested.  I'll have one Inquisitor event to go to next year, so it could be this one.  I have always wanted to go to Salute, so hopefully gaming would be split morning/afternoon so there's opportunity to take in the show.

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Spaces are filling up for Salute, so our chances are getting slimmer if we have to leave this much longer. I'm not necessarily expecting concrete answers at this stage (as long as we have enough answers, a team can be built out of them one way or another), but we do need some kind of answers.

An appearance at Salute could theoretically be a really big boost for the Inquisitor community, so I'd really like to see it happen - even if it only brought in (or back) a few players, that'd be a fair amount as far as events were concerned.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Based on the very low response to this, even compared to the scarce numbers we need, unfortunately I think this idea is going to have to be shelved.

A shame, as we already have many of the resources we would need, and a good showing could have given the community a much needed boost.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

That's too bad.  One year I will make it to Salute...

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

My count so far is one "yes" and one "maybe". If there were a couple more "yeses" or cluster of "maybes", then I'd be willing to chance building an event out of it with the assumption being that we could finalise the team closer to the date, but it's just not enough.

It's sorely disappointing, but it seems that we can no longer even muster the really small team we'd need to pull this one off.

... ah, sod it. I'll see if I can send around one last round of e-mails and notifications and give the idea one last shot, but we're getting very close to the submission deadline, so space may already be gone.

EDIT: Irrelevant - the submission deadline has just closed.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

VERY URGENT UPDATE:

A spare gaming space has come up at Salute 2019.

Although we didn't get sufficient commitment for any display game before the original Salute submission window, I'm hoping that more people may be able to commit now we are closer to the date.

If you would be interested in bringing Inquisitor to the masses and giving a very significant boost to the visibility of the Inquisitor community, please get in contact ASAP. We only have a very short opening to potentially grab this space.

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

possibly maybe. My easter time plans have firmed up now so I should be available that weekend, it's just working out if i have the holiday allowance to make Friday travel realistic.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

There's certainly the possibility to fit "possibly maybe" people into the plan later, as I'm sure people would like to spend time wandering the rest of the show, so having enough people to split the day into a morning and an afternoon session would be great.

But adapting the plan later does depend on having a viable enough plan to begin with. It's mostly down to just having willing players; I can supply most/all of the resources myself.

GW's =I= articles