Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Slaanesh cult leader WIP

Started by FierceDefence, June 23, 2018, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentirius

Sounds pretty fair to me, considering the labour involved...I am a firm believer in the value of artistic effort, and that has clearly taken a while to design, build, paint etc.  I would consider three figure prices to necessitate some quality sculpting as part of the piece on sale, but it obviously does fall into that category.  I was never much of a sculptor myself and have always been a bit in awe of the advanced techniques.  Cloth I could do, E.G. adding hoods or masks to heads, but hair, not so much.  My painting was so-so.  Not embarrassing to take in store but nothing I'd be comfortable selling.  You're definitely better at it, alleged rustiness notwithstanding.

I do still have all my old Inquisitor models boxed away at the back of a wardrobe – there are dozens of the buggers in there, though most of them are still in pieces following a prior shelf disaster and even those in the best condition will likely need some TLC when I dig them back out one day.  As for actually playing the game/buying models, I think it was maybe 2005/6?  My regular gaming group consisted of me and one friend, so we either shared the GM duties for Inquisitorial infighting or I'd run single-player campaigns for his Imperial warbands to play through against Chaos cults and the like (I played Chaos in WFB and 40K and had a lot of great big daemons, which translate nicely to 54mm).  I think my mate eventually ended up selling all his own models, for similar reasons of financing necessary non-GW stuff...I could never bring myself to go that far but repairing/touching up/overhauling them fell by the wayside once it was down to just me.  He lives too far away these days and has many demands on his time, so I doubt we'll be resurrecting the old tradition any time soon, but I do still appreciate 54mm models...there is still that sense of "I want it" whenever I see a good conversion, or when I notice GW have released something new with Inquisitor potential, for all it's been fifteen odd years.  I have been writing in-universe fiction on the roleplay board again, so there may well come a time when I return to the Inquisitor hobby/game, but if I bought more models now it really would just be to look at them.

Frankly, I always felt like GW dropped the ball a bit with Inquisitor when they released so many models that were so hard to convert...the game clearly favoured creating your own Inquisitors and their retinues from scratch, yet the original range were all very explicitly for the example characters in the rulebook.  Imagine how much variety would be possible if they'd made all their 54mm models with multiple alternate heads/limbs/poses, like the beloved Kal Jericho kit or the plastic daemon princes they make these days...even restricting specific iconography to easily removable accessories would have helped a lot.  It's equivalent to if they only released "Special Characters" for the 28mm games, and one had to bust out the files and greenstuff to make E.G. a generic Space Marine Captain from Marneus Calgar.  On the flip side, this does sometimes seem to make a daring 54mm modelling project even more awesome, since they usually have to swim against the current to some extent and that encourages creativity.

Out of interest, what would you could that claw as in game?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Mentirius on July 15, 2020, 03:21:50 PMthe game clearly favoured creating your own Inquisitors and their retinues from scratch, yet the original range were all very explicitly for the example characters in the rulebook
As far as I understand it, the example characters were written to match the models (which were themselves mostly based off John Blanche's sketches).

As it was, GW really needed to establish that the game was not just "big WH40k", but was about unique and weird individuals; that's why characters like Sgt Stone were very much not generic Cadian guardsmen (we didn't get Sgt Black for quite some time), and also why almost every released model got at least a couple of magazine pages of background.

I'll certainly admit that the models would have benefited from a bit more modularity here and there, but in terms of the technology GW had at the time? 2001 is prior to the plastic Cadian Shock Troopers (which were 2003), with many of the main game ranges being lucky to have their core squad boxes in multi-part plastic, and almost everything else being one or two part metals. Given that GW were also focusing heavily on the production of Lord of the Rings at the time, I don't know we could have asked for much more than we got. (Which was ultimately a range where almost all the models broke down broadly into arms, legs, torso and head).

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Mentirius

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on July 16, 2020, 12:48:38 AM
As far as I understand it, the example characters were written to match the models (which were themselves mostly based off John Blanche's sketches).

Well, that I did not know.  Obviously not finding any fault with that as a concept; quite the opposite in fact.  I suppose I had a love/hate relationship with the original range, E.G. Eisenhorn's pose and general vibe is amazing, one of my all-time favourite models in unconverted form...except that without the bloody "Puritus" thing embedded in his chest, that gloriously caped torso would have been a lot easier to repurpose! ;)

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on July 16, 2020, 12:48:38 AMAs it was, GW really needed to establish that the game was not just "big WH40k", but was about unique and weird individuals; that's why characters like Sgt Stone were very much not generic Cadian guardsmen (we didn't get Sgt Black for quite some time), and also why almost every released model got at least a couple of magazine pages of background.

I guess that makes sense, and it certainly worked in that regard.  Sgt Black was a godsend though - my mate made a dozen-man IG squad in 54mm to accompany his Inquisitor and they all had plenty of individual character, but the uniforms really helped to tie everything together.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on July 16, 2020, 12:48:38 AMI'll certainly admit that the models would have benefited from a bit more modularity here and there, but in terms of the technology GW had at the time? 2001 is prior to the plastic Cadian Shock Troopers (which were 2003), with many of the main game ranges being lucky to have their core squad boxes in multi-part plastic, and almost everything else being one or two part metals. Given that GW were also focusing heavily on the production of Lord of the Rings at the time, I don't know we could have asked for much more than we got. (Which was ultimately a range where almost all the models broke down broadly into arms, legs, torso and head).

It could certainly have been far worse, and you're right about the time period...I think my personal feelings on the matter were somewhat coloured by a) How amazing the Kal Jericho kit was in this regard compared to many others,  and b) my fondness for Chaos-affiliated or otherwise renegade characters, which could be tricky when working with parts that often had a strongly "Puritan" vibe (not that it was prohibitive, as demonstrated very nicely in this thread). 

Really, I think they would have addressed all these gripes years ago if the game had sold well enough to encourage further development.  Inquisitor is still my favourite thing GW ever released, and at least there are other 54mm ranges around for parts to fill the gaps, E.G. the female heads issue.  If I occasionally moan about modularity or lack thereof, I do so out of love!

FierceDefence

Hey,
Sorry, I couldn't get back to you earlier. I take my time to do things and think a lot before doing them, that's why I may have better results. I currently don't have anyone in my area that is into Inquisitor, that's why I'm focusing on modelling rather than gameplay. I agree about the design of the sculpts, but that's because they were in a weird period, where you had this transition from really old school and newer style with things like dynamic poses etc. Yes, it could have been vastly superior if they had provided much more alternatives for each model. But they did have conversion packs and such. But yeah, in my opinion, there is nothing else quite like a good 54mm conversion. I would either use the claw with a custom rule based on the power fist with something like range 1. I would argue with parry 20%, so a bitter than PF because less unwieldy I suppose and with 5 blades it is able to catch and twist enemy weapons. It would have a somewhat similar catch attack, but minus the knockback. Back in the day in 40K, Power Claws re-rolled to wound rolls, so you could go with something that takes into account the increased wounding capability.

FierceDefence

Hey, finally got around to finishing the model. Only thing more would be to change the base by something cooler. In the meantime, I listed it on eBay haha.

Mentirius

Those are some amazing power fields right there...I don't often see internal light sources included in a paintjob, and that effect really caps it all off.  Excellent stuff.

FierceDefence

Hey,
Thanks mate. Didn't have too much time with modelling or painting lately. I've accumulated a huge backlog in the meantime.
FD

MoeGee

the green lightning is fantastic .
We live through strange days
society's have become polarized. Not just in politics but across all culture. There's anger at the inequality and ever growing corruption and a wide spread distrust of elites. Yet at the same time, there's a paralysis. a sense that no one knows how to escape from this.

cymrilian

and the painting of the face is good too.