Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

2019 Conclave Events

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 10, 2018, 02:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Proposed events:

Spring 2019 (No official title yet)
Date: March-April(-ish)
Scale: 54mm (presumably?)
Head GM: Cortez
Venue: Element Games, Stockport
Details: An event looking at the increasing rise of one of the most notorious antagonists in the Carthax Sector, the fallen Inquisitor Isabella von Ravensburg.

Fracture
Date: Depends on date of Spring 2019, in order to avoid events too close together. Likely either February or May.
Scale: Probably 28mm.
Head GM: MarcoSkoll
Venue: Dark Sphere West, London
Details: With the onset of a warp storm, astropathic messages are drifting back in time, revealing prophecies of futures yet to come.
Players will as the day progresses receive clues as to how the sector's future is being affected by their actions in the present.

London Grand Tournament 2019
Date: 14th-15th September
Scale: Likely 54mm. Possibly 28mm.
Head GM: TBA
Venue: Lee Valley Athletics Centre, London
Details: TBA

Original post:

As we haven't got anything scheduled for the rest of 2018, it's looking like it's time to start thinking forwards to 2019, such that we could theoretically have meets before about April.

The two big questions that come to mind first are:

1) The change to Warhammer World's table allocation policy
In future, WHW will be handling tables on a first-come-first-served basis rather than having bookings.
I've heard some mixed messages about whether they might still be prepared to reserve tables for people who are coming a particularly long way, so I've contacted them (now that a few weeks on, their departments will hopefully all be on the same page) for details, but haven't yet received an answer.

(It could be argued that we'd actually be better off a lot of the time, as we're often there right at opening time and could grab the best tables as we chose, but the risk that GW suddenly decide to put on a large tournament and basically close the venue to others is too great).

If they're not prepared to take bookings at all, then we're almost certainly going to need to hunt new venues.
The new Dark Sphere Megastore looks very good from that perspective - it's not as well positioned for many as WHW, and it doesn't have the same ambience (or the FW store), but in all other respects it competes very well.

2) The London Grand Tournament
We've not yet been asked about this again (we may just have been too small in numbers to be logistically worth inviting back, although I did what I could to make myself invaluable during pack-down), but it's not impossible that we will be.

I know people had a number of issues with the LGT when we went this year, primarily focusing on the pricing, but what would the interest be like if we were to be asked again?

~~~~~

... after that - well, if anyone has any ideas for events that I'm not running, then I probably wouldn't argue too much...
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Charax

Well I'm going to be at Salute anyway, as are a few others - while I'm not interested in spending valuable buying time running a game it'd be great to grab some drinks with people afterwards? that'd technically be a conclave event!
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

MarcoSkoll

Well, I had hoped to arrange a display game for Salute (I can't think of many better ways to reignite interest), but we simply didn't get enough responses before the deadline to be able to go with that.

I may potentially be at Salute otherwise, but I don't know.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I'll be Salute-ing, and up for a drinks/food post-event.

MarcoSkoll

I've finally had an answer from Warhammer World, and it's basically "We don't care".
They're scaling up their own events to the point that there will basically be no open gaming space on weekends (and with no implication of "open weekends" either), which means they're simply no longer viable as a central hub for any of their niche and older games.

This means we need new venues.
We've already got Dark Sphere West as an option, but I know this is impractically far south for some.

The best option I can currently see as far as a venue further north (but yet still reasonably accessible for southern softies) is Element Games. Does anyone have any experience with them as a venue?

GW's =I= articles

Charax

Bad Moon Cafe is opening on December 15th in London - seen some ads for it on skype but not many details yet
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

MarcoSkoll

It does look fairly cool, but I'd have to hear a pretty good argument for having London events there over Dark Sphere West, which has the advantage of a better connected station (that, at least when half the lines aren't shut, you can get to without having to go through central London).

We've also had a suggestion of Asgard Games in Middlesborough. I think that one is too far for me to personally want to pick (and potentially far enough to rule me out entirely), but it might be a suggestion for other GMs to consider.

GW's =I= articles

SwordlordRoy

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 12, 2018, 05:21:53 PM
This means we need new venues.
We've already got Dark Sphere West as an option, but I know this is impractically far south for some.

It's more impractically north and east in my case, plus there's always a big puddle of water just past Washington DC... :D

MarcoSkoll

As the LGT have started making preliminary announcements, I've deliberately contacted them to know whether they're expecting to have us back.
(Given that our events have an overhead of writing at least the basic premise before we can get the event pack out, I wanted to avoid a rushed panic if we only found out at short notice).

The answer is that they will have us back should we wish to return.
I'm not allowed to reveal any dates yet, but I think I'll be okay phrasing it as "not so early in the year that it should be our first event of 2019".

The question of course remains of whether we do wish to return. I know people had issues with the event, although I'd hope that most of those were to some degree soluble. (I can't make them move the event further north, but they do seem to be trying to find a more suitable venue, and we can look at negotiating on things like ticket pricing).
Personally, I think it's nice for Inquisitor to have at least some presence at larger events (and as we haven't yet been able to go through with the idea of a display at Salute...), but I can understand if others feel differently.

Quote from: SwordlordRoy on November 14, 2018, 04:09:20 AMIt's more impractically north and east in my case, plus there's always a big puddle of water just past Washington DC... :D
Alas, there's not much we Brits can do to arrange events in the US, but I can lend what little promotional power we have via mailing lists and Facebook pages to anything going on State-side should anyone wish to organise something.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I'd be interested, but the sooner LGT launch with a concrete date, the better I can have a chance of confirming or denying.
Either way, I would *want* to be there. The more we can get this part of the hobby back into the public eye, the better overall.
If we can prove an increase in interest in this sort of gaming experience, maybe we'll see movement from GW someday. (If wishes were horses...)
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

TheNephew

I'm up for it.
As pants as some logistical parts of it were last year, I enjoyed the games and seeing the folks again.
I'd like to stick around and try and catch some talks etc. after our games as well, schedule willing, as I fled to the nearest food dispensary last time.

Cortez

It's a shame that Games Workshop seems to be reverting to arsehole mode again. So much for the plan of buying some forgeworld necromunda stuff at the next event.

Personally the Lgt was too expensive on top of the cost of getting to London. It also was a bit too awkward to do it as a day trip meaning I had to dash off at the end. Probably wouldn't attend again.

Element games is probably the best bet for me. I could try and arrange something there. I can certainly bring scenery to any event there although I'm not sure how easy it will be to get to from the mainline train stations.

As for type of events I'd quite like to do another of those Space Marine days like we did a couple of years ago.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Cortez on November 16, 2018, 08:42:14 PMIt's a shame that Games Workshop seems to be reverting to arsehole mode again. So much for the plan of buying some forgeworld necromunda stuff at the next event.
It's certainly done a lot to again put me off spending money on GW.
I've been sitting on a reply e-mail for a few days that I'm not entirely sure if I want to send:

QuoteHello Chris,

We've gone away and discussed this, and unfortunately, this is not merely "in the short term we understand the offer is different to how you have known it". If your venue no longer plans to offer bookable open gaming space on the weekend, then this will make you inaccessible to us both long and short term.

The suggestion of available space on weekdays is irrelevant to us. We already go through considerable logistical challenges getting our group together from all over the country on days most of us already have off; It's just not feasible to move to other days of the week.

Regrettably, this is going to force us (as well as many other thinly spread groups) to find entirely new venues to meet up, and as a general PR move has already soured some of us to financially supporting your company. (And even for those not quite so dissuaded, your venue rules had been a significant reason to stick solely to using Games Workshop miniatures/parts in our collections, in order to keep all of our models usable for all of our meets).

While I thank your venue for the previous experiences we've had, unfortunately we are going to have to part ways.

David
I sort of know that the complaint won't mean much, but I kind of just want to complain anyway.

QuotePersonally the Lgt was too expensive on top of the cost of getting to London. It also was a bit too awkward to do it as a day trip meaning I had to dash off at the end. Probably wouldn't attend again.
I'm hoping that we may be able to negotiate at least some reduction to the ticket cost. If nothing else, we generally need fewer tables (and thus all "per table" costs) than other games.

QuoteElement games is probably the best bet for me. I could try and arrange something there. I can certainly bring scenery to any event there although I'm not sure how easy it will be to get to from the mainline train stations.
If you're offering, then I'd certainly appreciate an event I wasn't personally running!

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

Well I've got an idea in my head for a follow on campaign from the events of the LGT, namely Isabella handling such vast amounts of warp energy and the consequences of that event.

I was going to try and organise a day at Warhammer World for it but we can try Element Games if people think they'll be make it there.

It appears there's a train station at Davenport about 8mins walk from Element Games.

I could try and organise an event for March or April. Or is that too early?

mcjomar

March would be better I think for me.
Any chance we could haul a sunday, rather than a saturday? Sundays are becoming the easier option for me.
I'm prepping more marines - not sure whether I'd go with any that I've already built, or one of the new ones.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.